Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this is a stupid question(s). But i wanted to run it by you guys.

Currently, i have an "undersize" Ultimate wear ring in my boat. Its .010 undersize. When i measured my old impeller it came out to 7.220 and Duane recommended a .010 undersize and never run it on the trailer.

Now i have a brand new impeller from American Turbine. It is "standard" size. Should i change to a "standard" size wear ring? Or will the .010 be fine just a little tighter? I'm only asking because the boats not here, and i cant measure the clearances until i go up to needles.

If i need to change to a standard, that is fine but if the one i have can be used since its pretty much new and in great shape that would be preferred. I mainly use the boat at the river so it should be fairly clean water.

Thank you

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Few more questions

Stick with the "ultimate wear ring"? My Pros are its easy to install, just need to shim the front for clearance. Con is i have to drop the driveline everytime i want to run it on the trailer

Or
go with a Conventional wear ring?

conventional? Shouldered? The cost ends up being close to the same no matter which way i go. Is there really a point in going shouldered? Or will the normal old wear ring be fine?

Or just stick with a UWR?

To many options.

If it matters, the plan is to pull the pump at the end of this year and have it blueprinted/professionally built by B1

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Stick with uwr and get a jetaway if you want to run it on the trailer. Check and see what Duane recommends on using the .010 under one you have.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would check with Duane at hi tech for his opinion as he is the maker of the wear ring as see what tolerance/clearance it will withstand. the stock measurement on the impeller should be 7.225 with a stock clearance of .025 to .035. my call would be to either replace the wear ring to a standard or cut the new impeller .010 on the skirt to be at the same clearance.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Im sure this is a stupid question(s). But i wanted to run it by you guys.

Currently, i have an "undersize" Ultimate wear ring in my boat. Its .010 undersize. When i measured my old impeller it came out to 7.220 and Duane recommended a .010 undersize and never run it on the trailer.

Now i have a brand new impeller from American Turbine. It is "standard" size. Should i change to a "standard" size wear ring? Or will the .010 be fine just a little tighter? I'm only asking because the boats not here, and i cant measure the clearances until i go up to needles.

If i need to change to a standard, that is fine but if the one i have can be used since its pretty much new and in great shape that would be preferred. I mainly use the boat at the river so it should be fairly clean water.

Thank you
The thickness in or inner ID measurment of your installed "undersize" Ultimate wear ring over standard (7.250) should be measure approx 7.240 versus a new impeller which should be 7.225 that combination should net you total impeller to wear ring clearance of approx .015 or (.0075 radial ) versus standard clearance of .025 (.0125) , at any point in the radial clearance) in perfect conditions , this is also assuming you have "0" runout or wear in the pump shaft shaft or impeller skirt, or worn bearings , bushings etc

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If the wear ring has just a little wear on it already, I'd go ahead and use it. If it looks perfectly brand new, I'd either go with a standard W/R or true the impeller .005"-.010".

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up ordering a std stainless wear ring. I figure ill put it in, then when it comes time for an undersize one ill already have one.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I would have run it. I consistantly put .010 under wear rings on new builds. Only when the shafts bent or impellor is loose on the shaft that its a problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
curious as to what had you chose to go s.s. instead of another uwr? avail., price., quality?
Couple of reasons.

I dont want to pull the transom plates i made, or the suction housing. I dont know if i could get to that side of the impeller to measure front clearance with a UWR with a new impeller.

And it was 99.99 from cpperformance.

Lastly. I know its not recommended, but i can run it on the trailer with the stainless wear ring. The UWR no way

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Couple of reasons.

I dont want to pull the transom plates i made, or the suction housing. I dont know if i could get to that side of the impeller to measure front clearance with a UWR with a new impeller.

Lastly. I know its not recommended, but i can run it on the trailer with the stainless wear ring. The UWR no way
Running on the trailer is a nono with any type wear ring

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Couple of reasons.

how will you know what the gap is with the new w.r. if it's not measured?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wont until i actually measure it.

But i did have the new impeller measured, and it is standard size. So a standard size wear ring should be right no?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
correct it "should" but needs verification too. It just didn't sound like you were able or wanting to measure the installed clearances with the new parts (w.r. shoulder clearance) Tolerance stacking in the wrong direction with those new parts could prove costly. Do you know how much run-out you have in your pump shaft?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts