Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
deciding on ring , shouldered brass, shouldered stainless. non shouldered with a stuffer. going with an new aluminum a imp. the suppliers site (if I understand) seems to say the brass ring may require slight machining to the shaft to set up .the stainless ring takes shims to set up.
whats the best choice & why Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
deciding on ring , shouldered brass, shouldered stainless. non shouldered with a stuffer. going with an new aluminum a imp. the suppliers site (if I understand) seems to say the brass ring may require slight machining to the shaft to set up .the stainless ring takes shims to set up.
I'm running stainless because they were easily set up and the shims are like a gasket material to stop electrical current transfer but I think it's best to check with other users with the same pump. The 773 pump I'm running is just easier to set up that way because I had to fit three, One for each impeller.

·
Registered
200 Posts
American Turbine has the niceset wear rings IMO. You can use brass or stainless with you aluminum impeller. I like the Turbine wear rings because the have a full forward shoulder. The Berkeley shouldered wear rings have a very short shoulder that doesn't meet the suction very well.

Turbine only offers their stainless shouldered wear rings in one size, standard (7.250)

They offer their shouldered brass wear rings in several sizes.

Brass is nice, it's just exepensive. If you're going with a 7.250 standard size, use Turbine's shouldered stainless wear ring. If you need an undersized ring, you'll be forced to use brass.

If you were installaing a stainless impeller, I would say go brass no matter what. With the aluminum impeller you can use either.

Shimming is easy, and by running a shoulderd wear ring and shimming the impeller back, you'll close down the gap between the back of the impeller and the bowl. The helps eliminate water turbulence is the center bowl cavity.

·
Administrator
16,893 Posts
If you put a brass one in you are set if you use a stainless impeller some day.

·
Banned
10 Posts

ULTIMATE WEAR RING by HI-tech! love em, easy to install, clearance and setup. The price too is very comparable now a days to the brass and stainless also. I have one for the two different impellers i run and change it when i change my impeller which takes literally minutes. Cant do that with a brass or stainless. Besides, I like to support our locals here in the hicks too right INFO! :pm: YOU GOT A PM MY FRIEND.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
ULTIMATE WEAR RING by HI-tech! love em, easy to install, clearance and setup. The price too is very comparable now a days to the brass and stainless also. I have one for the two different impellers i run and change it when i change my impeller which takes literally minutes. Cant do that with a brass or stainless. Besides, I like to support our locals here in the hicks too right INFO! :pm: YOU GOT A PM MY FRIEND.
I change impellers all the time. A std stainless wear ring should last years. Yes you do need to take measurements to set the clearances all my impellers are std. Taking measurements takes only minutes. I also have a few shims as needed. Wear rings are definitely not a one size fits all. The correct clearances are very important. Talk to MPD, B1, GS marine, or really any other pump guru.

Btw, when you get banned with one screen name, there is usually a reason for it. Don't plan on staying long by creating a new one around here.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Back again? Maybe the 3rd time is the charm. Play nice and people dont mind your opinion. "most of the time" I like UWR set them alitle tight if you want. On a side note. I know a guy who put a scale between his boat and a pier. Said it pulled the same number with or without the wear ring. Just food for thought. Be safe, schick

·
Registered
692 Posts
Back again? Maybe the 3rd time is the charm. Play nice and people dont mind your opinion. "most of the time" I like UWR set them alitle tight if you want. On a side note. I know a guy who put a scale between his boat and a pier. Said it pulled the same number with or without the wear ring. Just food for thought. Be safe, schick
Sure it would pull the same if the same impeller was used in both.

The amount of pull measured in each instance was due to how much water the pump moved (I'm assuming at full throttle each time). The wear ring will drastically improve how long it takes to reach it's max flow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would recommend the Ultimate Wear Ring from Hi-tech as well. I have gone through many stainless and bronze wear rings in almost 40 years of jet boating and have never been able to get more than a season out of one in the silty rivers I run on. I tried a UWR from Duane 3 seasons ago and am still running the same one. Will probably put a new one in this spring for the coming season but even so it has gone 3 times as long as I have ever got out of stainless or bronze. Also like the fact that I can run tighter clearances without worrying about galling.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with the uwr, however I'm still unclear bout shouldered vs. non shouldered with a stuffer. from what i understand it's one or the other . a guy can't run a stuffer with a shouldered ring right?

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
I went with the uwr, however I'm still unclear bout shouldered vs. non shouldered with a stuffer. from what i understand it's one or the other . a guy can't run a stuffer with a shouldered ring right?
Why the hell not? Your talking about opposite sides of the impeller.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Using a UWR or using a shouldered bronze or stainless with a standard insulator wont neccesarily completley preclude the use of a stuffer as they do position the impeller back a slightly reducing the area behind the impeller and closing up the gap between the Impeller exit and the bowl casting , using a non shouldered ring for example and a trimmed insulator (maybe machine work) can help increase the space behind the impeller and may allow room for a thin clandestine stuffer plate , also depends alot on for example if the bowl, shaft or impeller have been modified or machine previously , theres lots of measuring to do and maybe likley machining regardless ,this changes on other bowls as well Tom

·
"BEER BUDGET RACING"
3,621 Posts
I do. all the stuffer does is close up the gap behind the impeller.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts