·
Gone
1,833 Posts
I'm not into the new stuff.
You can do it this way:
Aircraft altimeter set at 29.92
Temp gauge
Humidity gauge
and I can give you a software program you can do on a laptop.

·
Gone
1,833 Posts
Seen guys do that but most barometer's are not accurate enough.
In my opinion the aircraft alt is the way to go.
Far as temp and humidity...there is a radio shack digital deal that is not expensive and seems to work well.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm not into the new stuff.
You can do it this way:
Aircraft altimeter set at 29.92
Temp gauge
Humidity gauge
and I can give you a software program you can do on a laptop.
So where do you pick up a cheap altimeter? And you mind sending me the program you have too? I will PM you my email.

·
Gone
1,833 Posts
Someplace that repairs airplanes. Small airports. I paid $100 for mine years ago.

Actually I use a special calculator that is very old.....LOL...and if I remove the batteries to replace them I will lose the program. But I found something on line that is accurate to my calculator....whenever it dies I will use this.

I just saved the web page to my laptop and the calc works even when not on line.

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da_rh.htm

I suggest you set your aircraft altimeter to 29.92 and and also enter 29.92 in the calculator.

A lot of times when racing....we look for the "direction" the air is going. If I see the altimeter changing.....I may change the tune up anticipating the air coming in or the air going away. An Aircraft altimeter is very sensitive while many others are not.
Adjustments to the motor depend on your experience and the air. While a change from 1500 ft DA to 1800 ft may not be a big deal.....changes above 3000 ft ( changing from 3000 to 3300 ft) may be a big deal.
Humidity plays the least factor. Elevation and temperature play the most.

·
Registered
417 Posts
weather station

the other person said it correctly" you have to use one consistantly" so what are you going to do if your friend is there or he's in the water and you don't know how to use it, answer, get your own. i've got 1 in a nice carrying case for sale if you're interested. send me a pm

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
Call Grich 626-962-5877 He has a pretty cool set up that seems simple enough. He will throw back a shot of Morgans, sway around a little, lick his finger & check the wind, scratch his ass & call out a pill size! Really is amazing...:D

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
PerformAire PC or Altacom II Weather System

Both will give you WATER GRAINS, which is important for tuning.

These are two of top notch deals if you want to be serious about this.

Both these systems connect to your PC and display on screen realtime data.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you want an ALL-In-One unit, look at the Kestrel 4250 "Racing Weather Tracker" it includes the following features:
  • Wind Speed
  • Temperature
  • Relative Humidity
  • Moisture Content (Water Grains)
  • Dewpoint
  • Station Pressure
  • Barometric Pressure
  • Air Density
  • Relative Air Density
  • Density Altitude
  • Altitude

The really nice feature about this item (besides it's computing power) is it's compact size and protability. It is approximately the size of a few years old Nokia cell phone. (5" x 1-3/4" x 1")

Also, there is no data entry into a calculator to figure out corrected altitude or air density. This unit constantly shows this information and updates itself continuously without user input.

http://www.nkhome.com/ww/4250.html

M.S.R.P: $349.00
(can be found at various on-line weather instrument supply sites for around $259.00)

·
Future GN Racer!
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Call Grich 626-962-5877 He has a pretty cool set up that seems simple enough. He will throw back a shot of Morgans, sway around a little, lick his finger & check the wind, scratch his ass & call out a pill size! Really is amazing...:D

Ben, I spent 5.5 awsome hours with Paul yesterday here in Las Vegas. Damn, what a knowledgeable guy. 5.5 hours seemed like 20 minutes. I am hoping he will help me get my program off the ground and running. I am looking forward to meeting you, and verifying some of the stories.:D

Lock

1 - 20 of 31 Posts