Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, wondering about the use of a wedge in the eagle? will this help get her on step easier with a HEAVY load,will it take away from top end or mid range? what are the advantages to using them? I aquired a full s.d.309(totaly f%$$$$ed), the owner didnt put the shims in, owww! stanless impeller wore rite through the bowl. but it had a #4 wedge in it, so i was "thinkin" throw it on my s.d. 309 and see what happens. Setting the boat up for the fall moose hunting, and were gunna be packin alot of weight, any help would be greatly appreceated, 21 ft. eagle, 351w g.t.40 heads, s.d.309 ,aa impeller. any and all info would be muchly appreceated, thanxs!!!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Do you run a diverter on it? I know the racers dont usually and that they are pigs getting on plane. A wedge would probably help some, but may cause hi speed issues without a diverter.

Would be interesting to see how one of those boats worked with the traditional river rod treatment done to the pump...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Was this a tunnel or sport? I cant remember

I'd post this on the Eagle site you're going to get probably alot more guys familiar with that type of hull. Vami from florida is the only guy on this forum that I am aware of with a tunnel, oh wait that freak Hooligan hahaha

If its a tunnel beware of running it with alot of weight and "not" carrying the nose, they will hook on you in corners if you dont stay on top of it and it grets worse the more boat thats in the water. They really prefer to be "flown" nose high

Other than that wedge or no wedge its all about getting the boat to ride how you want it to ride with the load you have. The 21 tunnel was never intended to be a pleasure boat, its an all out race hull and as such performs best at 75+ mph. Below that its often described as a very unspectacular boat. Altho they do look bitchin :)

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you run a diverter on it? I know the racers dont usually and that they are pigs getting on plane. A wedge would probably help some, but may cause hi speed issues without a diverter.

Would be interesting to see how one of those boats worked with the traditional river rod treatment done to the pump...
this river rod treatment you speak of?? i no not what this is?? do tell more!

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Typically wedges are used as a way to manually calibrate a diverter. The theory is that when the diverter is set to the angle at which your boat achieves best MPH, the diverter nozzle is dead straight relative to itself (i.e. no angle exists between the stationary front part of the diverter and the moveable rear part of the diverter). On boats with a droop snoot with no wedge this does not always happen. So wedges are placed between the droop mounting flange to angle the droop in such a way that places the diverter at best MPH angle when the diverter is dead straight.

However, if you don't run a diverter you can use them to set the nozzle to a preset angle that will give your boat its best MPH, kinda like having a "fixed diverter" of sorts. But without having the diverter, it will be wedged at this angle all the time and there will be a tradeoff on holeshot.

Edit: As far as the river rod treatment, not every boat needs a shoe/rideplate to go fast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Typically wedges are used as a way to manually calibrate a diverter. The theory is that when the diverter is set to the angle at which your boat achieves best MPH, the diverter nozzle is dead straight relative to itself (i.e. no angle exists between the stationary front part of the diverter and the moveable rear part of the diverter). On boats with a droop snoot with no wedge this does not always happen. So wedges are placed between the droop mounting flange to angle the droop in such a way that places the diverter at best MPH angle when the diverter is dead straight.

However, if you don't run a diverter you can use them to set the nozzle to a preset angle that will give your boat its best MPH, kinda like having a "fixed diverter" of sorts. But without having the diverter, it will be wedged at this angle all the time and there will be a tradeoff on holeshot.

Edit: As far as the river rod treatment, not every boat needs a shoe/rideplate to go fast.
thanxs jetaholic, the info was greatly apreceated, well throw this wedge on and well see what happens, were more or less lookin for a sweet spot were the boat will perform great with a heavy load in her, any other info you could shoot my way could get you a moose steak or two!! lol thanxs again:)grn

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Check the recent tech threads that I just posted up. There's one on the basics of jet boat engine tuning for lake boats and another about power valves on a Holley carb.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the recent tech threads that I just posted up. There's one on the basics of jet boat engine tuning for lake boats and another about power valves on a Holley carb.
just started to read it , buddy pulled in,, had to play with this wedge,, bbbeeeutifuly info!! im new to this jetboatin thing, been in alot, first one owened. but ya, same goes for sleds, find the sweeet spot for the engine to work its best! as any mechanical engine heres one for ya, 351w g.t.40 heads, the rest,,, stock engie (marine of course),,red line heat exchanger,, pullin 3900rss. brand new engine, carb (holley 650),, new alt.,, dist, (mallory) fuel seperator, ,,,etc,,broke 11 hours last nite,, ive heard,, windsor should grab 44- 46oo, well be workin on some timing and carb, tomorrow nite,, again thanxs, well let ya know the out comes!:)devil

·
Registered
418 Posts
Adjustable ride plate, shoe, and of course a diverter...
They already have this stuff, its just set up a bit differently because they have to be integrated into the rock grate. You shim the rear of the grate which raises or lowers the rear of it the same as you would a shoe and the grate itself has a long rear "pad" on it or "rideplate" The hardware setup on a 21 tunnel has evolved over 20 years of racing so it would be wise to start there as opposed to trying to reinvent the wheel with alternate setups especially since running an open style loader is NOT an option for you
lol
If you're way up in the Hay river area get a hold of the racers from up there and have them give you some tips. Lots are racing 21 tunnels in the small block class now so they should have good advice for you on setups.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts