Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a playmate for my boxer for awhile now and I finally found one. The shelter named him Blue, I don't know if we will keep it or not (so if you think of any good ones let me know). I picked him up on Tuesday evening, and so far he has been a good dog. My boxer loves having him around he seems to be house broken but we are still watching him closely and not taking any chances. Very laid back and just loves to be with people. These are the pictures off of Petfinder where we found him, I will take some more later and post them up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
You'd better name him something like "Boner", "Chili", "Lipstick" or something like that..... I'm just say'n.:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Carrot.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Great looking Pibble(pit bull lol). Blue is a good name, one-syllable short and easy. Looks like he was neutered that's a good thing. Did the shelter know his age?

Pit bulls are great with humans but not so great with dogs. Is your boxer a male? If so you do NOT want to put them in the same crate when you go somewhere and leave them at home. Google the pit bull forums for the sad stories of dead dogs when that is allowed to happen.

You will also have to monitor their playtime in the yard as well. Your boxer might start the fight but the pit bull will for sure finish it if he is allowed to. I would suggest buying or making a 'break stick' that can be used to pry the jaws apart.

I don't mean to put a damper on this situation or to scare you but extreme caution is the name of the game here. My oldest son lost his beloved Rottweiler to an attack by two pit bulls he brought home two weeks before. He left all three dogs alone in his house uncrated. I saw the aftermath and it was horrific, blood all over the house, Broady was obviously running for his life... :( :(

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
BTW I have two year old pit bulls, brother and sister from the same litter. For now, I crate them together when I leave them at home, but the time may come when I have to buy another crate...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great looking Pibble(pit bull lol). Blue is a good name, one-syllable short and easy. Looks like he was neutered that's a good thing. Did the shelter know his age?

Pit bulls are great with humans but not so great with dogs. Is your boxer a male? If so you do NOT want to put them in the same crate when you go somewhere and leave them at home. Google the pit bull forums for the sad stories of dead dogs when that is allowed to happen.

You will also have to monitor their playtime in the yard as well. Your boxer might start the fight but the pit bull will for sure finish it if he is allowed to. I would suggest buying or making a 'break stick' that can be used to pry the jaws apart.

I don't mean to put a damper on this situation or to scare you but extreme caution is the name of the game here. My oldest son lost his beloved Rottweiler to an attack by two pit bulls he brought home two weeks before. He left all three dogs alone in his house uncrated. I saw the aftermath and it was horrific, blood all over the house, Broady was obviously running for his life... :( :(
All of this was taken into consideration, at first a Pit was not even on our list to look at but his temperment won us over. The shelter believes that he is about 18 months old, and while he was there he was one of the only dogs that could be housed with other dogs. Over the 3 months that he was there he was housed and fed with other male and female dogs both large and small with no signs of aggression. My Boxer is a female, and also loves all dogs as well. We also have already introduced him to my mom's dog that is a a Corgy who thinks he's a pit and the Corgy attempted to start a few fights and the new dog is scared of him.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
All of this was taken into consideration, at first a Pit was not even on our list to look at but his temperment won us over. The shelter believes that he is about 18 months old, and while he was there he was one of the only dogs that could be housed with other dogs. Over the 3 months that he was there he was housed and fed with other male and female dogs both large and small with no signs of aggression. My Boxer is a female, and also loves all dogs as well. We also have already introduced him to my mom's dog that is a a Corgy who thinks he's a pit and the Corgy attempted to start a few fights and the new dog is scared of him.
I take mine to the local dog park and they love to play with all the other dogs. I would suggest you do the same. I started taking them to the small dog area when they were 3 months old. Three months later I put them in the large dog area. First thing all the bigger dogs would sniff them then put them on the ground for domination, then they would all run around and play together. Every time they went they were rolled and dominated but no bites and no injuries.

Diesel is 65lbs now and Madalyn is 40. They play hard, showing teeth, snapping and growling at each other, they they nap together in my Big Man's chair. It's very endearing to watch them, but he does dominate her in many small ways. Hopefully they will continue to be like this for as long as they live, but even as brother/sister I can't be certain, and that's the problem with pit bulls. People who deny their genetic disposition to dog aggression often do so at the cost of another dog's life, either theirs or someone else's.

I can only beg you to be extremely careful and monitor your pit bull closely while he plays with the other dogs. He is a shelter dog and there's no history on him you can draw on. It's good that he is friendly toward your family's other dogs, but remember he is not yet an adult. Let me give you an example...

My youngest son was transferred in his job and couldn't take his dogs with him so he gave them to us to keep. The male was an eight year old pit bull and the nine year old female he grew up with was a mixed breed. Three weeks after we got them he attacked her in our living room. I had never had a pit bull before so I didn't know about the break stick. I had to use a flat blade drywall tool to pry his jaws apart from her neck under her lower jaw. Four days later he attacked her again. We had to send her to the shelter that very day. Then we had to clean up all the blood and fur and torn skin. When I told my son about this he said Bo Bo had never had a problem with any dog before, but from then on he would not tolerate another dog around him unless it was a female in heat.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted you to be aware that dog aggression can rear its ugly head very quickly in this breed and you have to be ready for it. Pit bulls have a bad enough rap as it is. Let's not add to it by putting our dogs in situations where they can fail.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I would watch that guy close around the Boxer, my sister raises pits and they are harsh with other dogs. I hate to say it, but I would not keep him around.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Great looking pup! My male blue is 2 1/2 yrs old, my female boxer is about 4 months younger, they're inseparable. They've never fought each other, they go to the dog park and are cool as can be, great dogs. That pup of yours will love you forever, something about shelter dogs, it's like they know you rescued them.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
That pup of yours will love you forever, something about shelter dogs, it's like they know you rescued them.

I have a lump in my throat from reading this. I think you are absolutely right and you're not the only person who has voiced this. Dogs know more and feel more than we know. They know when they are in a bad place and they feel gratitude to us when we take them home.

Your dogs are lucky they live with Lucky Stiff!! :D

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
I would watch that guy close around the Boxer, my sister raises pits and they are harsh with other dogs. I hate to say it, but I would not keep him around.

i agree with this a friend of mine breeds champion blues in the OC. pits are naturally dog aggressive and love to be alone as a sole dog. it is there natural instinct to be alpha. however it is never to late to behavior mod that dog Cesar Milan style. be careful and watch your boxer really close for at least 6 months. looks like your new pit is pushing just shy of 2 years judgeing by that pic (prob way off but whataugonnado):)sphss. he will have some bad habits that will come out as he gets more comfortable. be careful and good luck. make sure you and your loved ones radiate alpha power and keep that pit in check. although they are domineriing they like to be dominated by there masters

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
I take mine to the local dog park and they love to play with all the other dogs. I would suggest you do the same. I started taking them to the small dog area when they were 3 months old. Three months later I put them in the large dog area. First thing all the bigger dogs would sniff them then put them on the ground for domination, then they would all run around and play together. Every time they went they were rolled and dominated but no bites and no injuries.

Diesel is 65lbs now and Madalyn is 40. They play hard, showing teeth, snapping and growling at each other, they they nap together in my Big Man's chair. It's very endearing to watch them, but he does dominate her in many small ways. Hopefully they will continue to be like this for as long as they live, but even as brother/sister I can't be certain, and that's the problem with pit bulls. People who deny their genetic disposition to dog aggression often do so at the cost of another dog's life, either theirs or someone else's.

I can only beg you to be extremely careful and monitor your pit bull closely while he plays with the other dogs. He is a shelter dog and there's no history on him you can draw on. It's good that he is friendly toward your family's other dogs, but remember he is not yet an adult. Let me give you an example...

My youngest son was transferred in his job and couldn't take his dogs with him so he gave them to us to keep. The male was an eight year old pit bull and the nine year old female he grew up with was a mixed breed. Three weeks after we got them he attacked her in our living room. I had never had a pit bull before so I didn't know about the break stick. I had to use a flat blade drywall tool to pry his jaws apart from her neck under her lower jaw. Four days later he attacked her again. We had to send her to the shelter that very day. Then we had to clean up all the blood and fur and torn skin. When I told my son about this he said Bo Bo had never had a problem with any dog before, but from then on he would not tolerate another dog around him unless it was a female in heat.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted you to be aware that dog aggression can rear its ugly head very quickly in this breed and you have to be ready for it. Pit bulls have a bad enough rap as it is. Let's not add to it by putting our dogs in situations where they can fail.
i agree with this a friend of mine breeds champion blues in the OC. pits are naturally dog aggressive and love to be alone as a sole dog. it is there natural instinct to be alpha. however it is never to late to behavior mod that dog Cesar Milan style. be careful and watch your boxer really close for at least 6 months. looks like your new pit is pushing just shy of 2 years judgeing by that pic (prob way off but whataugonnado):)sphss. he will have some bad habits that will come out as he gets more comfortable. be careful and good luck. make sure you and your loved ones radiate alpha power and keep that pit in check. although they are domineriing they like to be dominated by there masters

Excellent advice here. Pits have a bad rap and its largely unearned and due to people who abuse them or have no clue as to their natural instinct to be aggressive, lack of training, etc. Much better to be safe with them even if they are sweet dogs in your presence. Separate crates or pens when you are away I would consider mandatory.

I've been through this with a couple dogs who I loved dearly (not pits, lab mixes). Great 99% of the time but the smaller one (both were males) would bite the larger one while I was away. From that point on I don't pen or crate my dogs together. Those two have passed on and I have had several since (currently 3). You just always have to remember dogs are dogs and when something pisses one off when you're not around the results can be ugly. Especially true when the dog has the fighting equipment and instinct of a pit. Good luck with your pups and keep them safe. :)

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Nice post Rex :) and 26Lavey I strongly suggest you put both dogs in training with a dog trainer. I have mine in training now and it makes a tremendous difference in their behavior. Pit bulls can be very headstrong and Alpha-oriented so you have to get control of him NOW.

I have two goals for my pups; sled pulling and off-leash walking for Diesel and therapy training for Madalyn so she can go to the Retirement homes and children's hospitals. She is very dainty and loves people so she's a natural for Therapy.

Training is the key. You have to get him in and take your Boxer too, wouldn't hurt...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts