Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter was pushed into the pool yesterday. Her screen is a little messed up. Anyone know what we should do.

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Everytime I have taken one anywhere near getting wet it resulted in a new phone. I've heard stories of taking the batteries out and putting the phone in the oven on low heat to dry it out...apparently the dash board in a parked car in Phoenix works as well, I've just never had any luck with it.

·
Lil' Hellyun
3,238 Posts
Seems like I read something about putting into a bag of rice and not turning it on for 3 days....anyone else remember this.....?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.. We'll try the bag of rice.....I just bought a Samsong messenger as a 8th grade grad. gift for my daughter. Hope this works. The insurance is a ripoff so I didn't get it.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Last year, I went swimming with mine for about 10 minutes underwater. Took it home, put it on the garage floor and ran a hair dryer on cool next to it for about one hour. Then put it on the dash board of the car for a day. Took it back for the hair dryer treatment, put in a new battery and the phone worked for another year and finally died.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I heard the rice works, let us know if it does..
I think the trick is dont power it up. Water and voltage dont mix, the water just shorts everything out. So in theory if you dont run any power through it till its dry then you should be good to go for a while anyways till corrosion sets in. As for the rice...it speeds up the drying process as it attracts the moisture

·
Registered
336 Posts
So in theory if you dont run any power through it till its dry then you should be good to go for a while anyways till corrosion sets in.
Just replaced mine yesterday for this, After drying it out for a couple days(didn't power it up) it worked like a champ for about 4 months. they showed me the insides of my old phone and i was suprised the thing worked as long as it did.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I think the trick is dont power it up. Water and voltage dont mix, the water just shorts everything out. So in theory if you dont run any power through it till its dry then you should be good to go for a whileanyways till corrosion sets in. As for the rice...it speeds up the drying process as it attracts the moisture
That's it. Done that with several phones. Always worked fine.
If you take it to a store, they'll just tell you to buy a new one.
I know. My wife works for VZW.:)sphss

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a friend who had the same thing happen, she put the phone in rubbing alcohol for about 30 seconds. The phone worked ok, but the screen was never the same. Before she did the alcohol, the phone didn't work at all. Never tried myself though. Good luck!

·
Monrovia in the House
411 Posts
This happen to me on saturday. I got out of the water as fast as i could. I pulled the batt and putt the phone and batt in rice. 3hr later i put it in the oven around 160 for 30 min. I put it on the charger for the rest of the night and in the morning it work fine. the screen was a little messed up but today is Tuesday and the screen is perfect....got lucky:)devil

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
I have been down this road several times. My sugestion would be to pop the sim card, find a phone on ebay, and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts