Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my boat the weep holes in my headers are directly over the stringers. as of right now i have no carpet or rail kit. once i get the cash though im gonna redo it and add the rail kit. the headers make a huge mess all over with the weep holes. im taking them out soon to add a crank case evac kit and wondered if i could add small extensions to the weep holes to either drop into the bilge area or meet together in back so the mess is less. i have my bassett t and gate valve set so its hardly any water, but still it happens. any thoughts on this? pics of what others have done? or should i just plan on more cleaning time after each trip?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Where do you want the water to go? In the bildge? It's going to make a mess no matter what you do. At least it's not oil dripping all over, water wipes up easy. :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or. Run them dry?
love to but the law here seems to have a hard on for jet boats.

Futs in the bilge would be fine. just not all over both sides of the stringers. at least in the bilge it would mix with the other water and get pumped out or drained at the end of the day

·
Registered
153 Posts
Buddy of mine has his headers bunged at the weep hole. Then there are short tubes coming out to drain in the bilge.

·
Registered
985 Posts
One thing you might want to consider. I'm not sure if you'll have the same problem but I know guys who have tried running the evac AND water with problems. They would always get water in the oil. Removed the evac and problem went away. Just something to consider.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Gem427 has a 19 Daytona with extensions on the weep holes. I will see if I can get him to post a picture. It basically looks like a set of header water lines bent to redirect the water into the bilge. They are individual lines not clustered together. There are bungs welded to the weep holes just like the bungs for the water lines. It is a killer clean setup on his ride.

EDIT: This is the same guy Sharkbit mentioned earlier. I will text him and ask him to post pics.

·
Registered
190 Posts
valve

love to but the law here seems to have a hard on for jet boats.

Futs in the bilge would be fine. just not all over both sides of the stringers. at least in the bilge it would mix with the other water and get pumped out or drained at the end of the day
Move the header shut of valve to were you can access it while your underway and when you get to idle shut them off. I had one on my boat it worked fine, as long as i remembered to turn it back on.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
One thing you might want to consider. I'm not sure if you'll have the same problem but I know guys who have tried running the evac AND water with problems. They would always get water in the oil. Removed the evac and problem went away. Just something to consider.
I run evacs with wet headers on my Rebel. I have no issue with water in the oil. I know of several other boats in my area with the same configuration. None have an issue with water in the oil. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying it can be done with no issue.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I had a set of Bassett's someone had added the bungs to the weep holes. Basically it looked just like your water lines, one coming off the bottom of each tube and they swept back into a collector. All 4 per side in essence became a 4 into 1, about 3/4" diameter, foot long collector that you could easily route into the bilge. These came off a day cruiser that the owner didn't want them dumping on the stringers for the same reason. I sold them so I don't have any pic's, but would be fairly easy to do if you can tig weld.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
With positive managment of header injection water (valving, injection/versus rpm timing etc ) any water eminating from the weep holes should be very minimal at worst. I dunno , weve always kind of acepted it as part of the deal, Gave up on carpet (especially around the engine) along time ago and I dry my headers out below 1500 or so ;)

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Hey guys the Daytona is in storage but I'll get by and shoot some pics. It was that way when I got it and I thought it was cool.

Gary:happy:

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Thinking outside the BOX
Unless dealing with stainless headers and stainless 'extenders'...I would be concerned about a weep-hole 'maybe' rusting shut. Last thing you want is water puddling in the bottom of a header, then getting sucked back into the exhaust valve during lower rpm.:shock:

I find it good practice to periodically check and use a WD40 w/straw to spray in the weep-holes...don't want those holes closing-up from soot/rust etc.

And...with the weep-hole extended > how will you know if one IS clogged and/or how can you clean them out?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
in some pics ive seen on several set ups an aluminum block with a valve. labeled off low mid high if i was reading it correctly. it was a water valve for headers. i really like that block and how clean it looks. i dont know who made them or if they were one off or what. does anyone know what im talking about?

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Thinking outside the BOX
Unless dealing with stainless headers and stainless 'extenders'...I would be concerned about a weep-hole 'maybe' rusting shut. Last thing you want is water puddling in the bottom of a header, then getting sucked back into the exhaust valve during lower rpm.:shock:

I find it good practice to periodically check and use a WD40 w/straw to spray in the weep-holes...don't want those holes closing-up from soot/rust etc.

And...with the weep-hole extended > how will you know if one IS clogged and/or how can you clean them out?
x2. if they clog, it's corrosion that's clogging them. it won't take long for the header loop to rust out. first hand experience with a set of used headers. gotta keep those weep holes open..

in some pics ive seen on several set ups an aluminum block with a valve. labeled off low mid high if i was reading it correctly. it was a water valve for headers. i really like that block and how clean it looks. i dont know who made them or if they were one off or what. does anyone know what im talking about?
top of this page. Exhaust header covers, Bassett Tee Valve, Rex Billet Header water valve, billet transom cover plates, header braces

1 - 20 of 24 Posts