Performance Boats Forum banner

What Battery Are You Running?

4K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  jimsplace 
#1 ·
I'm rigging my 16ft Hondo and I've hit a small snag. The "marine" battery that I've run in my last hull is kind of bulky. The Hondo is a little more cramped than the hulls Ive ran in the past. I want to build a mount to place the battery on top of the stringer near the transom. The battery I have now is too big and bulky. So long story short what battery is everyone running? Specifically any compact sizes? There will be no unnecessary electrical components in this boat ie radio/sound system. I know batteries aren't cheap.. what isn't though.. I'm ok with spending for something like an Optima but is there anything out there that's a little less pricey to look at first? Summers right around the corner and I need to get this thing rigged asap :yes:

#2 ·
I know you said you're low of real estate in there but I run dual blue top Optimas. Run them in my offroad truck too, they will hold a charge all winter as long as you have a battery cutoff switch in place.

#4 ·
im trying a braille they are the lightest batterie on the market you can flip them any way you want they are small they have more cranking amps than any thing out there for the size 1350 cca they use them in trophy trucks, nascar are a dry cell and have a killer reserve ohh did i mention its only 21 #

#9 ·
I have this battery for sale with custom peterson battery mount. Mounts on side of stringer. Its 4 years old. I bought a lithium battery at stupid price and had to make another battery holder to fit so dont need this one. I paid $150 for this battery. It still checks good . I will take $100 for the battery and mount if interested. Battery weighs 15 lbs.

Attachments

#10 ·
Total seal or Odessey batteries are the best, then optima. On a budget look at U1 or U33 or lots of other similar numbers batteries. They are 33 amp hour wheel chair/lawn/gargen/security system/gate opener batteries. They are small and light. Completely sealed like a Optima, mount in any orientation.

Funco (high end sand cars) used to use Interstates version of them in their buggies from subaru to V8. They work well. Had one in my subaru sand car. Interstate changed manufacturing and the quality took a dive. However their are lots of buggy vendors selling similar batteries and I haven't heard of quality issues.

The smaller battery will be fine in your application as long as you use a permanent magnet gear reduction starter, aka Hi-Torque or OEM from about the mid 90's. Don't use an old chevy starter they pulled tons of amps because the electricity activated the magnets and they are direct drive.

These batteries don't list a cranking amps, but I found this spec: 495 amps at 77 degrees Fahrenheit, like I've witnessed these batteries starting LS V8's stock and modified all weekend no problems.

Weight = 24 lbs
Height = 7.1 in
Length = 7.7 in
Wdith = 5.2 in

Use a desulfating maintenance charger. like the pulse tech, XC 100-P in amazon for $79. It keeps the battery topped off ready for use and the pulses break down sulfate build up. The one i bought has saved two batteries so far working on 3 an 4.

#20 ·
I've used the Optima battery for many years and have had good luck.
Two things I like about them other than just having good results are, they make one that is for the GM products that use only the side mount screw terminal (No Post) and the battery can be mounted with (4) 1/4" bolts located in the bottom for the hold down.
No top cover is needed to hold the battery and the side mount screws make for a clean look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.