Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need a new computer, our present one is on it's last leg. Geek Squad wants $250. to repair the problems, I only paid $349. for it 5 years ago.

I think it's time for a new unit and was wondering what everyone is buying. Dell was recomended by a few good friends and Best Buy said the Asus is a good unit along with HP.

What do you have and how is the reliability of it.:)hand

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
We need a new computer, our present one is on it's last leg. Geek Squad wants $250. to repair the problems, I only paid $349. for it 5 years ago.

I think it's time for a new unit and was wondering what everyone is buying. Dell was recomended by a few good friends and Best Buy said the Asus is a good unit along with HP.

I bought a new Gateway laptop from tigerdirect and I'm very happy with it over my wife's dell.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Mac!
If you can round up the money it's the only way to go. Just plug it in and go. You will need no extra software, they're safe, and have amazing features. The Apple store can convert all your old PC files over and the support they can give is awesome. I just got one a few months ago and will never go back to a PC.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Currently I'm using an Asus, 2 HP's, an Acer and a Dell.

In the past, have also used Gateway, local built, Packard Bell, Sony Vaio and a few others that are no longer around.

At the end of the day - I don't think any of them are any better than the other, except for the Sony Vaio, which kicked azz, but was ridiculously overpriced.

The Asus is a new to me brand and I'm pretty happy; same as Dell.

$350 for 5 years is pretty reasonable, I would stick with that analogy/budget.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

If you are a gun owner I would not buy a Dell...Michael Dell and Dell Inc. are big time supporters of gun control...other than that good luck..:)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm happy with my HP lap top, my home computer I built. If you have a spare afternoon you can get some pretty bitchen packages from newegg.com and piece together your own PC. They also have complete setups for pretty darned cheap!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just make sure it has an Intel processor what ever you get. :D lol.

For a desktop I'm not even sure who to recommend, I've built all of mine so I'm not sure who puts what parts in what these days. Some people seem to be happy with HP, probably what I would get.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just make sure it has an Intel processor what ever you get. :D lol.

For a desktop I'm not even sure who to recommend, I've built all of mine so I'm not sure who puts what parts in what these days. Some people seem to be happy with HP, probably what I would get.

You don't like AMD?

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
I sell computers for a living.

When it comes to laptops, stay away from Dell unless you want to replace it every 1-2 years. They are cheap for a reason. All refurbished processor put on a new board.

I recomment IBM, Sony, Mac, and Toshiba.

As for towers or desktop systems, im not too sure, but most parts will be identical other than the motherboard and preloaded software.

Never take your system to BestBuy for repairs. There are always cheaper independent shops that are better. It is always better to do a little research and try to fix yourself. Things like hard drives and memory are easy to install.

Also, YHAMMACK is correct about the Intel vs AMD deal. While they may be rated at the same processing speed, 2.4GH, 2.6GHz,... It is important to know the L2 Cache and Front Side Bus of the processor. Normally Intel is a lot better when it comes to those aspects.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Never take your system to BestBuy for repairs. There are always cheaper independent shops that are better. It is always better to do a little research and try to fix yourself. Things like hard drives and memory are easy to install.

YUP

The Geeks wanted $250 to fix my Gateway monitor...which went out after 18 months. Gateway said sorry, but out of warranty (!).

So I took to the net; tore the sum bitch down (which was tedious and the hardest part), found a bubbled capacitor [researched that issue too]; bought a new one at RS for .75 cents; de-soldered and re-isntalled the new one and Voila, monitor worky again.

·
Islander Trailer Trash#23
1,520 Posts
I have two personal Dell laptops: one for 4 years and one for 2 and both still operate fine w/no problems. My company also provides me a Dell latptop. I've been please with them all. I had a personal Toshiba laptop before and had all sorts of problems with it, though I think it had a lot to do w/the processor.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Avoid Mac like the plague, unless you live near one of the fabled "Apple Stores". Supposedly they can make it work like a real computer, but you can't get there from here over the phone. Mine won't even drive my printer, so I had to buy a new printer. Now I have no fax. My Office files "converted", but iWork is so crippled that you can't even select the page to print - you can print all or nothing, no automatic page breaks. Also won't transfer files to CD. The first one I got was really broken, this one is just lame. Intel processor, dual core, 2GHz, yada yada.

I wasted over 2 grand on a Mac, it lasted less than 6 months, replaced it with a killer Dell for less than 900.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts