Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought it a week or 2 ago and i found one that looked identical to me when i did a google search and now i cant find it to show the mr. the one i thought it looked like had something like montego in the name. any help would be great thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as far as i am aware it doesnt have any numers. i am in new zealand, apparently boat was from usa at some stage so unless they have numers stamped into the hull somewhere i havent seen anything to ID it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
18 Kona

bought it a week or 2 ago and i found one that looked identical to me when i did a google search and now i cant find it to show the mr. the one i thought it looked like had something like montego in the name. any help would be great thanks.
Looks like a 18 Kona, probably in the mid 70's. It seems to me there might even be a set of molds somwhere down under. I know there is a set of Eliminator 18 bubble deck molds down there somewhere , shipped in country in the late 70's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, can anyone tell me if they have numbers stamped into them anywhere and if so where i would generally find them? its just a hull, no controls or anything so if it would of been on them then i guess i wont find them.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
thanks, can anyone tell me if they have numbers stamped into them anywhere and if so where i would generally find them? its just a hull, no controls or anything so if it would of been on them then i guess i wont find them.
As your standing behind the boat...generally on the right side of the transom. Welcome to the madness:)grn

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
As your standing behind the boat...generally on the right side of the transom. Welcome to the madness:)grn
Just below a rub rail if it were to have one on the right like mentioned above...Could of been painted over so look close with some light.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just looking at the rear of the gunnels and transom area, my guess would be a Kona.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
That is either a Kona or Tahiti.
Does the boat have full stringers, or 1/4 stringers? If full stringers, it is more than likely a Kona. If 1/4 stringers it could be a Tahiti.
The Tahiti Tiger came first and the Kona was a direct splash of the Tahiti. All Konas had full length stringers, at least here in the States.

Here is a picture of the Kona that I built. http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-boats/10678-73-kona-resto-build-ii.html

·
Registered
623 Posts
Lots of hulls that looked like that. It was a popular boat to copy.

Heres my first boat, a 77 Lancer. A friend had a Tahiti Tiger and another friend had a Kona, there was no noticeable difference other than the Kona having full stringers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
this is the inside of mine at the moment. not sure if its meant to have that flat bit or why? is it meant to have more rib bits etc? cant find a number on it at all yet, it may be under all the layers of paint.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts