Performance Boats Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
I still think lash caps would solve your problem.
Wouldn't that make the problem worse?
Lash caps would make the valve stems even taller accentuating the short fall of the pushrods.
I still say the lifters are collapsed and the longer lenth pushrods will correct the valvetrain geometry issue and if I'm thinking about it right, increase valve lift at the same time (ratios right now are compromised)..

GT :)hand

lash cap would fix the clearance problem he is having wouldnt it?
True, it would offer a bit more clearance, but look at the geometry as a whole, I'm thinking 3/16" to 1/4" more pushrod would put it back in the park and take full advantage of the duration and lift of the cam.

Not to mention any more valve height would really screw with the pushrod to rocker angle (look at it now), that thing is begging to be spit out like a radish eaten by a toddler...Just another ******** opinion though.;)

True, it would offer a bit more clearance, but look at the geometry as a whole, I'm thinking 3/16" to 1/4" more pushrod would put it back in the park and take full advantage of the duration and lift of the cam.

Not to mention any more valve height would really screw with the pushrod to rocker angle (look at it now), that thing is begging to be spit out like a radish eaten by a toddler...Just another ******** opinion though.;)

You cant guess at pushrod length ! Cant just put 1/4" longer pushrods & go!

Just do a search on here about pushrod length and do the midlift theory, put the exact right rods in , then adjust correctly (zero lash is really tough to tell without a little experience as the slightest drag on the pushrod while spinning it means your there) only go 1/4 turn preload, run some EOS additive in your oil , and you'll get another 8 happy years from you'r engine ;)

You cant guess at pushrod length ! Cant just put 1/4" longer pushrods & go!

Just do a search on here about pushrod length and do the midlift theory, put the exact right rods in , then adjust correctly (zero lash is really tough to tell without a little experience as the slightest drag on the pushrod while spinning it means your there) only go 1/4 turn preload, run some EOS additive in your oil , and you'll get another 8 happy years from you'r engine ;)
For sure on the "can't guess on PR length", just throwing a number out there for a visual example, lash caps was the discussion with that example, say you put .030" lash caps, it would be about a .020 difference in PR length, so I get what your talking about...

Been building marine engines for two decades and have seen a lot of goofey things. this looks to me like two different scenerios.

Mis-adjusted lifters (though it has not run that way) and improper valvetrain geometry, having not used these particular rockers before, it's all speculation at this point.

I was not recomending a PR length.;)

Discussion starter · #47 · (Edited)
Only commenting on that question.

In the last couple of years the ZDDP package has been eliminated from almost all motor oils. It is possbile that the cam survived the first 6 seasons with no issues and started taking a dump the last two because of in adaquate oil additives.

If I was going to get into the engine that far I'd bring out the dial indicator and see if the cam meets or is anywhere near it's spec card.
If the cam went away wouldn't there have been evidence of that (metal) in the pleats of the filter? Also seems like it would've shown up when I did the quick compression check. All cylinders were at 165 psi before I adjusted (messed up) the valves.

I like to try to do things myself, but I'm pretty confident after reading all this, that I messed it up. Kinda funny in a way. Although I was pretty sure this wasn't the cause of my problem I thought I'd do a little preventive maintenance and look at the mess I've gotten into.

I'm calling the man that put it together. I'm sure he'll be able to figure it out.

Squirtcha?

I am on the other side of town from you but have the time to come help if you need a hand. Done a few cam installs and hydraulic lifter adjustments in my time. I would bet the original problem is fuel related. Send me a PM with contact info if you need a second pair of eyes to look at it.

Dan, do you run a dry or wet NOS system? And when it started missing were you on the juice or had made a juice run! This could be your problem! If it is a wet system it could be fuel sol. is stuck and causing flooding! Or if your bottle ran dry no NOS and all fuel!
I have been around Fords and flat lobing a cam is not very common with them! Just food for thought! WT:)devil

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Update.

To those who said I don't know how to adjust preload on hydraulic cam/lifters and messed it all up.............10 points.

To those who said fouled spark plugs............10 points.

For those who guessed both.................5 bonus points.

Rocker arm to spring retainer clearance looks a lot better when the lifter plungers aren't sunk all the way down. Fortunately I didn't try to start it that way.

Live and learn. Thanks to Dan Nelson who put everything back to where it should be and for giving me a tutorial on hydraulic valve/lifter preload adjustment. Makes perfect sense when you watch somebody that knows what he's doing. Class # 101 is out..........

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.