Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost got my '78 Bahner ready for water, but she looks like hell. The Gel is oxidized. I have wet sanded just to clean it up, but what would be the best way to polish it back up and get a good shine? What products and process do you guys suggest? I'll try to get some pics posted later today.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
We have a Challenger were building with similar problems (faded and oxidized , we cleaned it with Castrol Super clean, hand sanded in small sections using 1500 wet dry , compounded and before wax will buff it using a 3m product called "Finish" it then Finese' it (body shop supply)

·
Registered
154 Posts
My '88 Daytona was in bad shape after sitting for awhile so we wet sanded the whole boat with 2000 then spent hours buffing with a 3M progressive cutting compound. After washing and waxing, it looks like new again! Hope this helps

·
Registered
511 Posts
1500 grit then 2000 grit then rubbing compound with a porter cable polisher (cutting pad) next swirl remover (mild rubbing compound polish pad) then....if its Gelcoat use a gelcoat polish...if its paint go with a good wax.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thank you! I know what I'm doing this weekend LOL. Managed to get the boat and trailer put back into DMV system, with new VIN given to trailer in only about an hour this morning! Pretty lucky, no lines :D

Any suggestions on where to pick up an affordable buffer/polisher and accessories? I know the usual auto parts stores around here don't have any good stuff...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Alright thank you! I know what I'm doing this weekend LOL. Managed to get the boat and trailer put back into DMV system, with new VIN given to trailer in only about an hour this morning! Pretty lucky, no lines :D

Any suggestions on where to pick up an affordable buffer/polisher and accessories? I know the usual auto parts stores around here don't have any good stuff...
this is what you need....dont get a cheap orbital
Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 7424 6-Inch Variable Speed Random-Orbit Polisher: Home Improvement

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Yatch Brite's "BUFF MAGIC" works killer. It cuts and polishes like no other product out there.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i wetsanded mine, then cut it with a DA and rubbing compound, then polished it with the DA, and then slapped some carnuba on it with the orbital...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I burned up my old milwaukee buffer, ran to harbor freight and got their version. its light weight and has buffed my boat 4 times without a problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wetsanded mine, then cut it with a DA and rubbing compound, then polished it with the DA, and then slapped some carnuba on it with the orbital...

That came out bitchin!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts