Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I heard some conversations about jetaways this weekend and i guess i dont fully understand their purpose.

Besides disconnecting the jet from the engine for running out of the water what else is it supposed to do?

·
Registered
546 Posts
also and most importantly acts like a v-dr whirl away, in the event of a major engine failure or lock up it allows the impellor to free spin and release the internal pressure of the pump, preventing the sometimes violent turning or handling of the boat. have had the experience of testing one of these in a pickle fork at over 100 mph and the boat set straight down without any issues, to me a very great piece that is made by dewaye at hi-tech

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
say you lose power above 60mph, normally the pump intake will overload with pressure and lift the rear of the boat up, basically hitting the brakes. with a jetaway and the same situation, the pump can relieve its intake pressure by allowing the impellor to turn free from the motor , exhausting intake pressure out the bowl faster than it ever could without a jetaway.hope that makes sense to ya, had to read it again to make sense to myself:)sphss:D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha so its a piece of safety gear.. Makes total sense and now i understand the conversation from this weekend a bit better.;)

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
It also has the added feature of allowing you to disconnect the pump from the engine by sliding the collar on the unit back for dry firing on the trailer. Aside from the safety aspect of it, it's worth it for just that feature alone IMO. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
995 Posts
already said!

It also has the added feature of allowing you to disconnect the pump from the engine by sliding the collar on the unit back for dry firing on the trailer. Aside from the safety aspect of it, it's worth it for just that feature alone IMO. Just my $0.02.
Already said
Besides disconnecting the jet from the engine for running out of the water what else is it supposed to do? ]

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
saw one disentegrate itself 3 weeks ago in marble falls. dunno what was up with that, but 3-400' past the start beam, engine zinged and the boat wouldn't move. fortunately, one of the locals had one at home, so the guy installed it and ran the rest of the weekend.
dunno what was up with that, but would sure like to. these things aren't supposed to fail like that, and carrying a spare 2k part around isn't likely...

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Like anything else in a boat, they need maintance. If you try to run something for ever it's gonna fail.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So would this be something you run with a pop off or inplace of? As far as safety is concerned..

I would think if you could not run a pop off because your pump was not set back this would be a way around it. Or do they perform different functions as far as intake and bowl pressure go? Which would be better at releasing that pressure?

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
So would this be something you run with a pop off or inplace of? As far as safety is concerned..

I would think if you could not run a pop off because your pump was not set back this would be a way around it. Or do they perform different functions as far as intake and bowl pressure go? Which would be better at releasing that pressure?
Some run one or the other, and I imagine some run both for the sake of redundancy.

·
The Man
1,788 Posts
Yea I've seen one or the other, and both on a few. Just depends on how deep your pockets are IMO. I'd love to have one with both, or atleast a jetaway.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I found that I can change peoples post counts as a mod on THB :D So I gave myself an extra 1000 just for the hell of it :)sphss
i've just got too damn much time on my hands at work:D that or i'm just realllllly good at my job and it don't take me long to do my work:)bulb;)

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Like anything else in a boat, they need maintance. If you try to run something for ever it's gonna fail.
this jetaway had just been gone through by a reputable shop. imo, it's very very unlikely it was an issue from the shop, because the boat made 5 passes on friday, and at least 2 saturday morning before this happened. as far as maintenance, there's really not much to do with these things other than make sure the oil is at the right level (it was).
i'm sure duane's heard about this by now - i'd just like to know if this was some type of fatal flaw, or something else, like a short run of bad parts?

Delemorte said:
I would think if you could not run a pop off because your pump was not set back this would be a way around it. Or do they perform different functions as far as intake and bowl pressure go? Which would be better at releasing that pressure? .
no, you can't run a popoff unless the handhole is outside the transom.
some guys run both.
they perform the same function differently, the function being relieve suction pressure when the engine dies. the jetaway will relieve pressure instantaneously, until the impeller slows down. the popoff will relieve pressure -almost- instantaneously, until the boat stops.

in mf 3 weeks ago, there was a 9 second stealth that lost the engine in the lights, hooked and tossed the driver pretty hard (broke the gunnel on the way out. never really seen a stealth hook like that before). i don't know if he had one or both (required to have one or the other). i've seen dan kirkman's stealth lose the engine in the lights at 150+ (more than once), wobble a tad, then settle in and go straight until it stops (he has both).

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Yea I've seen one or the other, and both on a few. Just depends on how deep your pockets are IMO. I'd love to have one with both, or atleast a jetaway.
a little story that sometimes needs to be retold. there was a guy named tom bogdanich that was racing SE in a cp tunnel at chowchilla, about 10 years ago. past the finish line, somewhere between 90-100, his engine died and he got tossed. no biggy to get tossed at such a slow speed you might think, he had his helmet and jacket, should have been all good, maybe a broke bone or two.
but he didn't have ballistic shorts on, and the way he entered the water, his colon was ruptured, along with other internal injuries. he died twice on the operating tables. after many many millions of dollars in surgeries, he was almost normal 3-4 years later (and if you think you can "control" how you enter the water in this type of incident, talk the people that have been there)

the moral of that little story is this: if the pockets are deep enough to build a boat that will run a buck on up, pockets should also be deep enough to obtain and use whatever safety items there are that -might- keep people alive, and keep injuries to a minimum.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
a little story that sometimes needs to be retold. there was a guy named tom bogdanich that was racing SE in a cp tunnel at chowchilla, about 10 years ago. past the finish line, somewhere between 90-100, his engine died and he got tossed. no biggy to get tossed at such a slow speed you might think, he had his helmet and jacket, should have been all good, maybe a broke bone or two.
but he didn't have ballistic shorts on, and the way he entered the water, his colon was ruptured, along with other internal injuries. he died twice on the operating tables. after many many millions of dollars in surgeries, he was almost normal 3-4 years later (and if you think you can "control" how you enter the water in this type of incident, talk the people that have been there)

the moral of that little story is this: if the pockets are deep enough to build a boat that will run a buck on up, pockets should also be deep enough to obtain and use whatever safety items there are that -might- keep people alive, and keep injuries to a minimum.
local okie did about the same few yrs back here in northern okla., took a 100mph enema , lived thru the surgeries and died a wk or so later from flesh eating bacteria that was found naturally in all lakes:)sphss

1 - 20 of 82 Posts