Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a running 454 chevy that came out of a 76-78??? pickup. any idea what gen block i have? I'm looking to start collecting parts for a build up this winter and want to make sure i have the right ones. thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Is a tall deck preferable for a 468 or 496 build or does it make much difference?
For a 468 no, for a 496 it could be a plus, not necessary though. But the only talk deck block your gonna want for that build is a 427, like said above make sure its not a 396 or a 366. Also if you find a virgin block theres no real point in going .060 over, just my .02.

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check all casting numbers Are they located in more than one place? Also if it is a 454 tall block is the only way to tell is by measuring it? or will the #'s indicate that. also i've been told it's all origninal miles so probably never been bored out. if you only go .30 over you get a 468 correct? but if it"s a tall block will that be a problem?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I will check all casting numbers Are they located in more than one place? Also if it is a 454 tall block is the only way to tell is by measuring it? or will the #'s indicate that. also i've been told it's all origninal miles so probably never been bored out. if you only go .30 over you get a 468 correct? but if it"s a tall block will that be a problem?
The casting numbers should be on the back of the block on the left hand side above where the bell housing mounts.

There were no production 454 tall decks produced, if it is a 454 its a 9.8" deck block. A 454 .030+ or a 427T block (10.2" with a 4.250 bore) with a 4" stroke crank, 6.535" rods (.400+) and a .030" bore will net you 460cid. But if its a 427T your going to have to replace all the internals anyhow so why not stroke it.

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What supplier of stroker rotating assemblies would you guys recommend? Cost is an issue so i can't go $3-4K on a kit.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
What supplier of stroker rotating assemblies would you guys recommend? Cost is an issue so i can't go $3-4K on a kit.
Eagle comes to mind. Many combinations at resonable prices for the budget minded:)hand

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
What would a 1995 454 out of 2500 chev. 4wd. be? Thanks.

Besides a boat anchor.
It wouldn't be truck block. If its original to the vehicle, its a 454.

ProComp!hil:)hil:)hil:)hil:)hil:)hil:):)devil

EDIT; BECAUSE JBP SAID I NEEDED 3 MORE hil:) SO i ADDED 4 AND A :)devil JUST FOR MEASURE:)devil

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
mrjoshua said:
gn7 said:
ProComp!:)devil:)devil:)devil:)devil

fixed it for ya. just so no one's confused about an official gn7 recommendation... :D

·
The Good
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
so i pulled the #'s. it's a 454 W/781 heads. the engine has original miles and was running when taken out of the truck. so if the crank and rods are good i would rather build a 468 to save a little money. I'm putting it in a 18 tahiti performance ski/cruiser and would not mind 65-70 mph. i have a 12jg w diverter and "a" impeller. not sure what end to put on it droop or straight snoot. i still need to be able to pull slalom skiers out from deep water. I want to spent my money on a good cam kit for the build. what do you guys recommend? the boat will have headers and a holley 850. it will run at altitudes 3500-4500 ft. what cams and also intakes do you recommend?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
so i pulled the #'s. it's a 454 W/781 heads. the engine has original miles and was running when taken out of the truck. so if the crank and rods are good i would rather build a 468 to save a little money. I'm putting it in a 18 tahiti performance ski/cruiser and would not mind 65-70 mph. i have a 12jg w diverter and "a" impeller. not sure what end to put on it droop or straight snoot. i still need to be able to pull slalom skiers out from deep water. I want to spent my money on a good cam kit for the build. what do you guys recommend? the boat will have headers and a holley 850. it will run at altitudes 3500-4500 ft. what cams and also intakes do you recommend?
Last month as an "exercise" and some entertainment Josh and I disassembled and rebuilt a rusted/siezed together Hardin marine 454 , we reused the original 8 to1 cast pistons , polished the iron crank, rebuilt the heads , used a small inexpensive Howard flat tappet hyd cam (I'll get the number for you) Beyond the cam and lifters cleaning and honing we replaced only the rings, rod/main bearings and and cam bearings and neccesary gaskets/seals . We dumped it in our test boat with headers, 750 DFDP on A Performer manifold , and MSD this past weekend the motor turned fresh pump with a "AA" impeller 4600 and the 18' Miller ran about 65 mph, really doesnt take alot to put your boat where you want it to be .. Tom

ps a correct Tach helps ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts