Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 21 eliminator with the quad rotor Chevy and the surface drive? Did they ever make that thing run or what....??

Thanks

Travis

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I had a 21' jet w a 600" blown motor that I always wanted to convertto an arneson, just could never afford it. I was really excited to see that project, and am dissappointed to see all the coverage dissappear. I could only imagine the outcome was not good.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
jonrazor here on the boards is the owner... it's at the Elim Perris Shop...got some new props/setup to test...

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
There was a guy that had an add in the back of hot boat. he had this surface drive that would bolt over the hole/cut out of a jet pump. It required a 12 degree transom, jet boat transom basicly. It was sharp looking. I talked to him a couple of times. The unit was priced right for a surface drive, around $3,500.00 at the time.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
There was a guy that had an add in the back of hot boat. he had this surface drive that would bolt over the hole/cut out of a jet pump. It required a 12 degree transom, jet boat transom basicly. It was sharp looking. I talked to him a couple of times. The unit was priced right for a surface drive, around $3,500.00 at the time.
that was john sofilos at unlimited marine. Heis old shop was 5 minutes from my house, used to see him all the time. We talked many times about his conversion, but he changed his system many times, never fully satisfied with his creation. he is an incredible fabricator, w/ a ton of racing history. he did actually get one design on a 21' daytona, but unfortunately it threw a blade on a brand new tom black prop(nothing from the drive), and left a messy situation for everyone involved. Since that one, I dont know of any that have been completed.
steve

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's at the Elim Perris Shop...got some new props/setup to test...
Hmmmm, thats what was said last year as well.......Sure a shit load of money in that 21, be nice to see if it will actually work or not??

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Agreed. I hope he is able to get her dialed in as well. The boat is simply beautiful, and over the top.

Darrell.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Unlimited Marine surface drive conversion

Here's a pic of John's jet to surface drive conversion. When Steve (LittleJockoCougar) was discussing this for his kevlar 21' Daytona (with a no BS 1,200 HP blown 598) he was talking about $7,000 for the package (less prop). It's kinda neat cuz it simply hangs a Casale box outside the boat transom. I think they had the same problem as the Arneson drive on that new Daytona. It wants to drive the nose down and ride very 'wet'. I think it might work better on a smaller / shorter tunnel like a Placecraft. Maybe when $$$ starts flowing more freely someone will spend the bucks to experiment with it.
Jocko

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Yep, that one. Believe me, if that thing actually worked we would be hearing all about it and see more youtube clips. News about that boat faded away for a reason. Jocko

·
Banned
742 Posts
Here's a pic of John's jet to surface drive conversion. When Steve (LittleJockoCougar) was discussing this for his kevlar 21' Daytona (with a no BS 1,200 HP blown 598) he was talking about $7,000 for the package (less prop). It's kinda neat cuz it simply hangs a Casale box outside the boat transom. I think they had the same problem as the Arneson drive on that new Daytona. It wants to drive the nose down and ride very 'wet'. I think it might work better on a smaller / shorter tunnel like a Placecraft. Maybe when $$$ starts flowing more freely someone will spend the bucks to experiment with it.
Jocko
With the Casale box IN THE WATER, I don't see how it could live. The gears, bearings, and oil get hot under load and then you stop the boat. All the cold water would be attracted INTO the gearbox by the hot metal and hot oil. I'm not wrong, ask Casale. I've built custom surface drives and no CASH PAYING CUSTOMERS have stepped up in the past 25 + years to buy one. No one is willing to experiment with their money, they would rather "buy a proven winner" and just purchase Joe Blow's old race boat. I enjoy reading about all the new designs in performance boat hardware, but it's far and few between when a 'real performance gain' is achieved and the thing actually will LIVE. I do hope everyone KEEPS TRYING for that 'perfect drive unit'.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Originally posted by GFINISHLINE;
With the Casale box IN THE WATER, I don't see how it could live. The gears, bearings, and oil get hot under load and then you stop the boat. All the cold water would be attracted INTO the gearbox by the hot metal and hot oil. I'm not wrong, ask Casale. I've built custom surface drives and no CASH PAYING CUSTOMERS have stepped up in the past 25 + years to buy one. No one is willing to experiment with their money, they would rather "buy a proven winner" and just purchase Joe Blow's old race boat. I enjoy reading about all the new designs in performance boat hardware, but it's far and few between when a 'real performance gain' is achieved and the thing actually will LIVE. I do hope everyone KEEPS TRYING for that 'perfect drive unit'.

I do agree with what you're saying. These oddball designs are just that......oddball. However, I do think it's kinda neat that guys (like yourself) who have the machining and fabricating skills can sometimes 'step outside the box' and experiment like this.
In regards to the Casale box getting too hot??? Since they are water cooled, why not still circulate thru the water jackets? Jocko

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 21 eliminator with the quad rotor Chevy and the surface drive? Did they ever make that thing run or what....??

Thanks

Travis
I heard the biggest problem they having to over come is prop walk.I heard at about 80mph they thing is trying to swap ends.This is coming from a ex eliminator employee i do not how true it is.

I think somebody needs to come out with a drop box with one input shafts and two output shaft to run twin arnesons .It would fix the prop walk, and have two props for bow lift, and be bullet proof . Or just make things easy and run the new dual prop surface drive from weismenn (sp?)

·
Registered
546 Posts
i recall that cougar when in canada made a 21 tunnel that had a gale banks twin turbo and arneson serface dr any body on here know its whereabouts now?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I heard the biggest problem they having to over come is prop walk.I heard at about 80mph they thing is trying to swap ends.This is coming from a ex eliminator employee i do not how true it is.

I think somebody needs to come out with a drop box with one input shafts and two output shaft to run twin arnesons .It would fix the prop walk, and have two props for bow lift, and be bullet proof . Or just make things easy and run the new dual prop surface drive from weismenn (sp?)
Or just put the right pump on it and enjoy it.......:)sphss It would be cool to see one work right but with the jets running 120+ I am not sure its worth all the hassle and $$$$$?

Travis

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
SInce I'm on my first Vdrive one of the things I learned with this boat is the amazing amount of lift the hull gets from that little 11" prop.
That's why the location of the prop UNDER THE HULL is so important.

Putting that much lift 2' behind the boat and with a larger diameter prop seems like an impossible situation to me.

I agree with Jockorace. If there was something to see, We would have seen it by now.
Chalk it up to a failed experiment like the dual jet pump turned out to be.

·
Administrator
16,894 Posts
Failed is kind of harsh ;)

Maybe an experiment with less than positive results. :)

Chalk it up to a failed experiment like the dual jet pump turned out to be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts