Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
made for? Is this like a flat or a runnerbottom? Do they make good river/lake boats? Are they fast? With like a 502 in it will it run in triple digits? Easy to handle or a han full like I've heard flats are. I'm just testing the waters no so be easy on me!:)hand

·
Old Timer
1,137 Posts
It is very Technical ..... Mouser knows everything there is to know about them !!!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Barron Sprint

Only a hand full if you mash a whole bunch of 502 at once!!! Set up is important they have a lot of rocker, good for drag racing not so good for circle, but a couple notches of plate and it will perform well. Need to get it good and wet before the corners. Three piece plate seems to help vent the air from the bottom most Barrons with three piece plate lift the center plate about 1/8th of an inch for venting. It is a four strake bottom, no runner. Great lake or river boat, lots of fun to drive!!! There will be several at the Irvine V-drive on Fathers Day, come take a look. I Love mine!!!!! Old School:)hand

·
Registered
981 Posts
Drive straight, turn left:D

·
Upstanding Member
12,708 Posts
made for? Is this like a flat or a runnerbottom? Do they make good river/lake boats? Are they fast? With like a 502 in it will it run in triple digits? Easy to handle or a han full like I've heard flats are. I'm just testing the waters no so be easy on me!:)hand
Made for circle racing thus the name "sprint". If you show up at a real drag race with one of these you will be eliminated in the first round. lol

This boat has won many a heat over the years and held the PS Kilo record at 130 for years.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
I meant!!!

Sorry!!! Didn't mean the boat was good for drags, but the amount of rocker was good for the drags. Most Barrons will need some bottom work to make them great on the circle course, my boat could use some of that!!! The 74 boat is 1 of 3 Barrons which have had the hull cut down closer to the water, 3 inches less free board, it is beautiful and "Wicked Fast" with the right driver in it!!!!! The Barron is known for being quick in the straights and a little tempermental in the turns than the Biesemeyer, which is why you'll see most of them at the races. The answere is "YES" they are fast and capable of solid 3 digit speeds. Some Barrons were set up with the motor to go straight and some were set up for circle, you might want to decide what your use will be if you decide to buy it. Hope this helps you with your questions.

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not this boat that I'm looking at. I have a chance to get the boat that was the 2004 East Coast champion. It has had bottom work done and sports a 502 w/ 200 n20 on it. Here's a picture of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's not this boat that I'm looking at. I have a chance to get the boat that was the 2004 East Coast champion. It has had bottom work done and sports a 502 w/ 200 n20 on it. Here's a picture of it.
By the name and number it must be one of Bob Zabady's boats.

·
Registered
19,801 Posts
i like this trailer.Fat fenders fat tires /diamond plate.but the boards r up on blocks..thats why its so high..i need to put new 2x6 12's on it...which im doing this week then the boat will sit low.........

·
Registered
19,801 Posts
Jerry see the metal blocks in the back..those boards r suppose do be on the frame 4" lower..its just up for the work im doing on the trailer....more diamond plateing..its so heavy we pull it with a simi.

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
Don't tell me you own that boat again. What is this #3?

As for the Barron question, mine ran 92mph (gps) with a measley 520'ish hp. I've got a 2 piece plat, 12* casal w/15% gears. turns around 6600rpm. Does'nt want to take a set, bounces from 75mph on. Mine needs to be dialed in boat it's fun. As for a lake/river boat, love it! Handles the bumpy water great, turns pretty good, a little wierd after the apex, seems to want to slide while exiting the turn under hard throttle. On the straights it realy wants to go, just wish I had the water time to work on the 75mph hop.

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
Need to get it good and wet before the corners.

What does this mean? Alot of down peddle?

I need to check the bottom of mine for the rocker. When I bought mine it had glassed in tanks. I talked to a guy up at Bass Lake that used to work for Tommy Barron, he says he laid up most of the Barron Sprints. The ones with the glassed in tanks were "family" ski boats. Bench seats, engine set way back...makes me wonder what else was different, bottom, rocker, shaft angle ect...might need more tuning than I thought.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
she said, he said

I liked my Barron but she didnt. She never drove it or rode in it, but didnt like it. So I went and beat her bad in Nostalgia racing and then she really didnt like it so I sold it for a Lavey! :|err Go figure.....

I think it rode better than any flat I have driven but I also encountered the slide exiting the turn and a little wiggle which I attributed to the strakes biting off and on. But what does a jErK know....

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the name and number it must be one of Bob Zabady's boats.
I don't know anything about that. I would be getting it from a friend that got it ....................well you know. I know the guy that has it fairly well and he just went thru everything, new powder coat, rigging, fresh motor etc. He's anal so I know it's a nice boat.

Most Barrons will need some bottom work to make them great on the circle course, my boat could use some of that!!! The Barron is known for being quick in the straights and a little tempermental in the turns than the Biesemeyer, which is why you'll see most of them at the races. The answere is "YES" they are fast and capable of solid 3 digit speeds. Some Barrons were set up with the motor to go straight and some were set up for circle, you might want to decide what your use will be if you decide to buy it. Hope this helps you with your questions.
Thanks for the input.

I really wanted a hydro again but with the no turning and swamping issues that come with one I'm kinda backing away. I want to be able to do everything I could do with my Mirage O/B plus have the cool factor. It has had a ton of bottom work and this concerned me until you guys mentioned that they need it so that makes me feel good. The motor is in back asswards so I assume this means it's setup to go in circles? It will still turn right, at least better than a hydro?

I really like mouzers too actually like the colors better but I need turnkey and this other boat is and I will be trading some stuff for it mostly. I like trades, easier on the wallet!:D

So if I get this one can I come to Needles without getting laughed at?:)hand

Attachments

·
Registered
19,801 Posts
BASS LAKE BARRON:::Don't tell me you own that boat again. What is this #3?

#4th time;)

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
I don't know anything about that. I would be getting it from a friend that got it ....................well you know. I know the guy that has it fairly well and he just went thru everything, new powder coat, rigging, fresh motor etc. He's anal so I know it's a nice boat.

Thanks for the input.

I really wanted a hydro again but with the no turning and swamping issues that come with one I'm kinda backing away. I want to be able to do everything I could do with my Mirage O/B plus have the cool factor. It has had a ton of bottom work and this concerned me until you guys mentioned that they need it so that makes me feel good. The motor is in back asswards so I assume this means it's setup to go in circles? It will still turn right, at least better than a hydro?

I really like mouzers too actually like the colors better but I need turnkey and this other boat is and I will be trading some stuff for it mostly. I like trades, easier on the wallet!:D

So if I get this one can I come to Needles without getting laughed at?:)hand
As long as you dont show up with N2O Mirage you won't get laughed at!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts