Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 20.5 Bahner I/O 1985. original owner said it would get 74mph when new. best ive seen is 59. although the hour meter does say 400+ dont remember how much. its been outdriveless since summer09, up in clearlake. i would like to see this boat get that speed back. was he old owner blowing smoke or did these boats do that speed when new? it is open bow, with the 5.7 SBC, power steering, omc outdrive. (not cobra)

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so which way to go to gain 15 mph

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
so which way to go to gain 15 mph
Put it on the trailer, and tow it to 79MPH.

I'd guess you'll probably need to at least double the power on that SBC, and move up to a 28" prop. Then again, with that deep of a OMC outdrive X-dimension, triple may be more realistic...lol

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have 21ft eliminator with a 350 mag and alpha drive.I get 58-59 avg at 4700 rpm 3 blade 21p prop.Did get 62 out of it this past weekend and in 8 years that was its best it has done.

so if you get 59 be happy

·
Registered
944 Posts
Remember that when this boat was new there was no GPS. All you had was those crappy watertube speedo's and who really knew back then? A radar gun was pretty rare too.....

Once GPS came along a lot of BS about top speed went away, just like HP claims when the cheap dyno's came around.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a 96 Carrera Elite with a 496 and a 27 pitch 4 blade S.S. The best MPH I ever was able to get out of it was 69 mph.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts