Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at pictures that are posted I see a lot of boats running mec. fuel pumps not electric pumps! What are the pros and cons or benifits?

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's why I run Mech. Dependability

Ken

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
ya know i here everyone say mech, but i've never had 1 ele pump failure. i change my filters every season, no matter if they had 6hrs on run time or not, they get changed. i'm runnin 2 holley blacks right now , 1 to feed the motor, the other to feed the nitrous.

·
Registered
601 Posts
the problem isnt a dirty filter, it's moisture.

as far as the pros and cons. they already spoke for the mechanical above.

the nice thing about electric is you can run fuel pressure without the engine. good for checking leaks, setting fuel pressure, and even draining the tank. the bad part, read above

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
A nice thing about electric pumps is there is gas at the carb a few seconds after turning the key on, if the boat's been sitting for awhile with the mech pump you're going to have to crank the engine over for awhile to get the gas to the carb.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
That's why I run Mech. Dependability

Ken
Yup

A nice thing about electric pumps is there is gas at the carb a few seconds after turning the key on, if the boat's been sitting for awhile with the mech pump you're going to have to crank the engine over for awhile to get the gas to the carb.
Just give it a couple manual shots on the accelerator pump/pumps before hitting the key, it'll have gas.

If your bowls go dry that's a different story, but mine will have enough fuel in the bowls to do the above after sitting for weeks and weeks. Takes a long time for all the fuel in those bowls to evaporate.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yup

Just give it a couple manual shots on the accelerator pump/pumps before hitting the key, it'll have gas.

If your bowls go dry that's a different story, but mine will have enough fuel in the bowls to do the above after sitting for weeks and weeks. Takes a long time for all the fuel in those bowls to evaporate.

Mine sat for the 2 very long winter months here in havasu. Pumped the gas twice and fired right up. I have only had mech pumps.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What type and flow size? 80,110,140 Holley,Carter,ETC? Im going to run a 1050 Dom. Carb. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's what I've got on mine, a 1050dom. Hi-volume mech pump.
KEn

·
Registered
6,573 Posts

i always drain all four bowls before towing down the highway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts