Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to have my pump rebuilt and i was just wondering what are the things that have to take place when a pump is rebuilt.

how long should it take if i have someone do it?

·
Registered
981 Posts
i need to have my pump rebuilt and i was just wondering what are the things that have to take place when a pump is rebuilt.
Time, Patience, and attention to detail (A little $$ Helps too)

How long should it take if i have someone do it?
Depends on the shop and what all you are having done to it

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
well to do it your self.. you will need.

A big ass wrench
a impeller puller (maybe)
have your impeller machined or replaced.
Rebuild kit. Dont buy the kit till you know what condition your impeller is in
A rubber mallet
some feeler gauges
A press to get bearings on and off.
Basic set of hand tools.

I did mine for the first time. it was not too hard. However i shipped off my impeller to have it machined and shipped my shaft off to get the bearings pressed on and off. Not a whole lot in a jet drive.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
well to do it your self.. you will need.

A big ass wrench
a impeller puller (maybe)
have your impeller machined or replaced.
Rebuild kit. Dont buy the kit till you know what condition your impeller is in
A rubber mallet
some feeler gauges
A press to get bearings on and off.
Basic set of hand tools.

I did mine for the first time. it was not too hard. However i shipped off my impeller to have it machined and shipped my shaft off to get the bearings pressed on and off. Not a whole lot in a jet drive.

That's pretty much it.

Replace the thrust bearing, MAYBE the seals arround the shaft (the CAN last a very long time), re-fit the impeller to wear ring clearance, replace the rear shaft bushings in the bowl and the shaft seal there too.
Done.
Now, IF rear bushings, or seal have worn the shaft apreciably, repair kits exist to fix the tailpiece of the shaft (machine down shaft, locktite on sleeve, lock-bolt in the end, machine to diameter.

About the only mandatory special tool is the bushing driver set. Impeller puller MAY BE, depending on how tightly it is on the shaft/key.
My old Al. one went on & off by hand, my new Bronze, not a chance.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Depending how long it has been since your pump has been apart A torch may be needed to heat things up to free them up. That's what I used to get me WR and impeller off 10+ years on there.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
If you decide to do it yourself, leave the pump in the boat until you have the impeller nut off. American Turbine has a set of instructions on their site for overhauling. Its not that hard to do.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
These jets are as a rule very simple and "DIY/user friendly" to repair and overhaul, generally more difficult to take apart than to reassemble , feel free to call if we can help you Tom

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everybody for the replies

my boat is stored in parker, so it wont be seeing cali land any time soon, or else i would take it somewhere local.

·
Registered
546 Posts
rebuilding one last night, upon disassembly main bearing failure. 3 hrs later, air cutter, torch, lots of patience finally removed outer bearing housing. upon depth measurement discovered it had eroded the area where the bearing sits, hour later after setting up on mill to remachine the area true. checked the shaft on the shaft fixture, warped beyond use. impellor because of bearing failure walked into suction housing, destroyed impellor. sometimes it is not a walk in the park. good luck.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
It's not all that difficult with the right tools. If you don't want to buy the complete Berkeley kit, you'll at the very least want the impeller nut socket, the spline socket to hold the other end of the shaft while you loosen/tighten the impeller nut, and the impeller puller.

Bowl bolts are 3/4".

A chisel + hammer will be required to seperate the bowl from the suction housing.

A torch (preferrably a Map Gas torch) will be required to remove the wear ring (assuming your pump does not have the Ultimate Wear Ring from HTP).

You'll need a piece of wood between the tail end of the shaft and the hammer when you tap the bearing/shaft assembly out of the thrust bearing housing. If you hit the end of the shaft directly you'll risk mushrooming it.

Other than that it's pretty simple.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Almost forgot, 396-ways-to-spit swears by a good trash can, for use as a table.

Check with him for a brand preference.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Almost forgot, 396-ways-to-spit swears by a good trash can, for use as a table.

Check with him for a brand preference.
Oh yeah almost forgot...aluminum impellers are good to 1,000 horsepower :D :D

·
Registered
686 Posts
rebuilding one last night, upon disassembly main bearing failure. 3 hrs later, air cutter, torch, lots of patience finally removed outer bearing housing. upon depth measurement discovered it had eroded the area where the bearing sits, hour later after setting up on mill to remachine the area true. checked the shaft on the shaft fixture, warped beyond use. impellor because of bearing failure walked into suction housing, destroyed impellor. sometimes it is not a walk in the park. good luck.

This is a good example for the need to check runnout, clearances and careful visual inspection of parts before and durring removal. If that pump had gone back together assuming things were alright it would have been a waiste. Good post.

·
688 Posts
We had some problems with my bowl. took it to mpd and jack fixed it right up. :D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Oh yeah almost forgot...aluminum impellers are good to 1,000 horsepower :D :D
I know people who have done it.

And on the above listed "nightmare scenario", I'll carry it one step farther.

Often a complete bearing failure permits the shaft to push fwd, leaning on the back of the crankshaft.
This destroys the crank thrust bearing, and usually the crankshaft next, which occasionally wrecks an engine block.

It's normally not much of a deal, bad thiongs CAN go wrong if let go. The pump warns you first, with noises and vibrations, before it fails with any catastrophicness.
Sometimes people miss or ignore the warnings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts