Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what the site members ideas would be for the ultimate engine combination to have fairly low maintenance and have enough power to run a 7 second quarter mile drag race and be able to run it on regular lake weekends without killing it. Assuming its in a jet boat designed for the task, like an eliminator, stealth, placecraft etc. Things like conv heads, spread port heads, stroke, bore, induction power adder? Head cc's, Blocks, cranks, rods, cubic inch, etc?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I would like to know what the site members ideas would be for the ultimate engine combination to have fairly low maintenance and have enough power to run a 7 second quarter mile drag race and be able to run it on regular lake weekends without killing it. Assuming its in a jet boat designed for the task, like an eliminator, stealth, placecraft etc. Things like conv heads, spread port heads, stroke, bore, induction power adder? Head cc's, Blocks, cranks, rods, cubic inch, etc?

I think you need to conceder a second boat.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
This should be good for 20 pages!

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
This should be good for 20 pages!
LOL...seven second, low maintenance, weekend boat?

Bad bug...can you define your idea of low maintenance? That may be different for you than others.
I'd say something with a lot of cubes, reasonable compression for pump gas on the weekends, and a ton of NOS at the track.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Is it even possible to make a low maintenance and 7 second jet boat? There were few jet boats in the fuel jetboat class that could run 7 seconds and nearly all of those no longer exist due to being crashed.

The thought of putting one of those boats on the lake in not realistic. (I don't think anyway)

In order for a jet boat to run 7 seconds means speeds in the 150-165 mph range. Again, I don't think that is realistic on the lake. Not for me anyway.

I am a flat guy, so what do I know?

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
I'm sure you know a lot but just not about jets. :)

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the 7 sec NJBA guys take theirs to the lake. And run in the 130's

Is it even possible to make a low maintenance and 7 second jet boat? There were few jet boats in the fuel jetboat class that could run 7 seconds and nearly all of those no longer exist due to being crashed.

The thought of putting one of those boats on the lake in not realistic. (I don't think anyway)

In order for a jet boat to run 7 seconds means speeds in the 150-165 mph range. Again, I don't think that is realistic on the lake. Not for me anyway.

I am a flat guy, so what do I know?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
big cube (555 or bigger) all alum longblock, blowthru dominator,no ic's, twin gt4788's:)devil be a monster at the lake on pumpgas, crank it up and run c16 at the track:)grn:)grn it'd make an easy 2200hp/ftlbs on the good gas. that's what id build if i had a nice hull capable of 130+ and the $$$ to build the engine setup, be as low maintenance as it'd get for the power level.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Those west coast guys must be magic. There are no "reliable" 8.0 "sec 1/4 mile low maintenance jet boats" back here.
That being said I admire a man with a dream.
Wags

·
Registered
523 Posts
Having been lurking in this forum for a very long time, I think I know the formula.

Find a wrecked Suburban.

990 heads, tunnel ram, dual 660 carbs blown through by a turbo from a Cummins N14. If you can get the compression down around 5:1 it will run on cat piss.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the 7 sec NJBA guys take theirs to the lake. And run in the 130's
Are those true 7 second boats or 8 second boats that can run high 7's? I was referring to a true 7 second boat.

Again, I am not a jet guy and maybe what I remember is incorrect. It wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
what do you mean by "7 second quarter mile drag race"? do you mean a boat that, all out, can break into the 7s, maybe a 7.95 all out? or a boat that will run 7.00s?

by "run it on regular lake weekends", do you mean "take it off the trailer, go 200 yards and park it on the beach"? or do you mean put some serious lake/river hours on it?

2 of 'em do, with barrels of race gas, the rest of 'em don't unless it's a very controlled test, not even close to "regular lake weekend" running all over the place.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I'm not a jetboat guy either but low maintenance and 7.00 jet is an oxymoron.. DeClark, Morgan and John D are really the only ones close to or capable of running a real low 7 and I don't think any of their stuff is low maintenance.. I don't know what John D is running combination wise but I'm pretty sure DeClark and Joe are running some Pro Stock style equipment and unless things have changed, I'm pretty sure it's not low maintenance.. Just assuming here!!!

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Those west coast guys must be magic. There are no "reliable" 8.0 "sec 1/4 mile low maintenance jet boats" back here.
That being said I admire a man with a dream.
Wags
ok, here's a question. is your hydro a "reliable, low maintenance" deal??? "low maintenance" seems somewhat subjective, and since badbug isn't more specific, hard to know what someone's illusion might be.
not far fetched at all to build a "reliable" 8 second jet.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say if a boat can run a 7 something quarter mile, it is a 7 second boat. I dont mean 7 o bracket. An 8 second boat would run 8 something. ''

Now Steve morris built a 2100 hp pump gas 540 motor for everyone to see, but how much power would it make on pump gas without the garbage can full of ice? Had profiler heads too. Would upping the octane be enough to make up the difference in power loss from loss of ice water inlet temps? So at 6800 rpm's how much maintenance would that motor need on an occassionaly quarter mile blast?

I dont mean be stupid and try to run 7 seconds on the lake !!! I mean tone it down some.

From what i have observed in last few years, a 19 ft stealth i have seen in person ran high 7's with 1200 hp motor and 250 hp nitrous. And that was a rather heavy laid up stealth and several years ago. Also i saw first hand , several jets running real fast 8 o's with 1600 hp or so and some were turned down to run that.

Look at unchained's motor, its low maintenance and powerful, but what would make it even better?

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Way too many "maybe's" here to even guess at what you really want.
You have to remember...running the number in a jet isn't just a matter of throwing big power at it. It's got to leave, and leave hard. Holeshot FTW. Set-up, set-up, set-up. If you can build enough HP to overcome a bad setup it's not going to be even close to reliable or low maintenance. You just can't have your cake and eat it too, no matter how you slice it. There is also always the matter of budget.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
I'm not a jetboat guy either but low maintenance and 7.00 jet is an oxymoron.. DeClark, Miller and John D are really the only ones close to or capable of running a real low 7 and I don't think any of their stuff is low maintenance.. I don't know what John D is running combination wise but I'm pretty sure DeClark and Mike are running some Pro Stock style equipment and unless things have changed, I'm pretty sure it's not low maintenance.. Just assuming here!!!
I think Joe Morgan (Here Comes ******) needs to be in that lineup and I think Chris Starkweather (CS19) isn't far behind. :)devil

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Yea I ignored the low maintenance part apparently.

If our boat runs a 7.999 then I will give you our recipe.

It will definately be low maintenance.

Change the oil and run the valves.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I think Joe Morgan (Here Comes ******) needs to be in that lineup and I think Chris Starkweather (CS19) isn't far behind. :)devil
Actually, I screwed the pooch. That's who I meant, not Miller but Joe Morgan..

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
So you and steel brought up a question.. We know that Morgan and DeClark are running some bad a$$ numbers and Chris and Finnegan are about .3 - .5 off, how much of that is setup and how much of that is HP.. Not ragging on no one, just honestly curious.. I know it takes a lot of HP and a WELL set up boat to push those 4 guys to those #s (5 including John but different combo). Also, my opinion is that if you want a combo easy on parts but makes big power then I think a blower or turbo is a must.. To get anything N/A motor to run 8.0s to 7s is not a low maintenance deal..JMO

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
ok, here's a question. is your hydro a "reliable, low maintenance" deal??? "low maintenance" seems somewhat subjective, and since badbug isn't more specific, hard to know what someone's illusion might be.
not far fetched at all to build a "reliable" 8 second jet.
Good question. You tell me if my maintenance schedule is a hard one.
Adjusted valves 1 time this year (yes I know this is stupid)
Oil and filter change after every 2 race weekends
1 set of new plugs for the cove
Add fuel, change blower pulleys, change main pills as needed.
Thats it.
No BS.
Wags

1 - 20 of 72 Posts