Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy, but owner doesn't have any paperwork. I need to apply for an abandoned title, but I have nothing to go by. So I'll start at square one. Does any one know who might have made this:D

Attachments

· Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,812 Posts
See if there's a HIN on the hull. It'll be located on the transom, upper right corner. If there isn't one there, run (don't walk) away from it. It's a stolen boat.

Take a good flashlight or portable spot light and shine it "through" the hull (from the inside out) where the HIN should be. I'll bet you'll find a dark spot where the HIN was ground out and re-glassed.

I'll bet there's no VIN or paperwork on the trailer, either.

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still not sure of the manufacturer, but I'm starting to lean towards the Sleekcraft as I was looking at another mid 80's boat and they appear to have the same deck design at the front of the cockpit.

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got to inspecting a little more and I don't think this boat will have the second hidded HIN. I believ the boat is maybe a 79 or an 80 year boat. I was looking at the fuel tanks and they had build dates of 79 and they appear to be the original tanks.

There has been quite a lot of fiberglass work done to the back. They filled in the holes for the control cables and the fuel lines that would have run to the OB. It appears they might have had plans to convert to something else.

I haven't been able to get a bright enough spotlight, but I'm not sure that will do any good since the entire boat had been repainted.

Next step is to go to the marine place that sold it to the current owner and try and get the scoop.

I might get nothing out of this, but I have to say I am having a blast researching it. I should have been a detective. Anybody need a spy in Phoenix:D

· Registered
736 Posts
Lavey Sebring 20'

I feel this bottom is a Lavey. I was working with Lavey Craft to build a Mod VP hull. We purchases a Baker Bass Boat bottom and the rights to "Splash it".

I don't know how many boats Lavey built, but I had this gray and white one with a Johnson V-8 on it. If you look closely, the side looks like the lavey....The outside runners look like our Lavey runners...The deck is NOT any Lavey I know of, but the bottom sure looks like a Lavey, Sebring 20!

Attachments

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at an Eliminator thread today and it appears this thing might be an early 80's Eliminator. It looks a lot like the 81 sport cruiser. I did notice that all the eliminators were left hand drive and this one is right, but that may be because it's an OB, dunno

· Banned
3,331 Posts
Just because there isn't a HIN on the right rear corner does not mean the boat is stolen. BC wrote that it's HOT even though there is no evidence of it being stolen. It could be a home built. It could have been in some sort of accident where that corner needed repairs. The HIN could have been removed for paint prep. It could be a experimental. It could have been repainted and the HIN filled with paint. Dozens of possible reasons. To come out and say it's HOT because the HIN is not there is BS.

There are several ways to register that boat, some easier than others.

With the present buyer's market the biggest question I have is - why? It's going to cost you a lot more to fix that boat than it would to buy a boat water ready.

· Registered
4,890 Posts
HR56 is right....

Just because there isn't a HIN on the right rear corner does not mean the boat is stolen. BC wrote that it's HOT even though there is no evidence of it being stolen. It could be a home built. It could have been in some sort of accident where that corner needed repairs. The HIN could have been removed for paint prep. It could be a experimental. It could have been repainted and the HIN filled with paint. Dozens of possible reasons. To come out and say it's HOT because the HIN is not there is BS.

There are several ways to register that boat, some easier than others.

With the present buyer's market the biggest question I have is - why? It's going to cost you a lot more to fix that boat than it would to buy a boat water ready.
Buy a turn key...that deal you are looking at is a nightmare. JMO

· Registered
3,115 Posts
Still not sure of the manufacturer, but I'm starting to lean towards the Sleekcraft as I was looking at another mid 80's boat and they appear to have the same deck design at the front of the cockpit.
Sleekcraft was my guess. There were a couple clues to a larger Sleek I used to have.

· Marine Organism
12,803 Posts
Buy a turn key...that deal you are looking at is a nightmare. JMO
You should have seen the TX 18 Youngblood (rare OB model) when I got it. I replaced almost every piece of wood in it. It was a wreck. Someone ripped the helm out of the dash, shot holes in it, etc, etc. :)

AND it doesn't have a serial number plate on it. Jim use to rivit them on long ago. ;)

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hot Rod, War Canoe - Oh I know there are some good deals out there for sure, but I love projects. Unfortunately I am a mechanic at heart and that was my first career so my enjoyment usually comes from the rebuild and the knowledge I gain.
I'm not sure what I'll do with this, I wanted a cool looking jet boat for the river and I thought I could convert, but I kinda hate to cut this thing up.
I just got two offers for it from people that already have engines. My biggest thing with that is I want to research it as far as I can and fully explain the history to the buyer or I can get a title.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.