Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check these out, rusty studs and all! You GOT to be kidding!

FRESH SET OF BIG BLOCK HEAD CASTINGS 336781 READY TO ASSEMBEL FULL PORTING TO MATCH LARGE OVAL PORT GASKETS OPEN CHAMBER CC MATCHED 3 ANGLE VALVE JOB FULL RACE PORTING EXHAUST AND INTAKE RAT ROD STREET ROD DRAG RACER

·
Steady Rollin
1,086 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Wonder what "full race porting" is.

Is it kinda like 3/4-race cam?

Put new studs in it and quit yer belly-achin'. Make 'em drop the price $70 for the new studs.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i hate to bust every1's Bubble, but, thats NOT rust on the studs...its paint!...look close...he was trying to paint the heads...thats a good price, but, shipping will kill ya! :( & without knowing who ported them, ur prob takeing a chance...they do look pretty clean tho

FastRat

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i hate to bust every1's Bubble, but, thats NOT rust on the studs...its paint!...look close...he was trying to paint the heads...thats a good price, but, shipping will kill ya! :( & without knowing who ported them, ur prob takeing a chance...they do look pretty clean tho

FastRat
You may be right about the studs, but those aren't "pretty clean". The porting is terrible. The heads are a mess with paint all over them. I don't see any valve job, let alone a three angle. The guides are sticking out of the guide bosses in the ports (I see one intake but I'd guess they're all the same).
I'm pointing this out for a reason. If if a guy doesn't have enough pride in his workmanship to represent his product any better than this, it's probably indicative of the workmanship that went into the product throughout. There's no quality of anything here, and I'm not saying this to bash this guy. I'm trying to give some of you an idea of what to avoid and why.
Representation is important on something like this. A nicely ported and well prepared set of heads is going to look that way.
Just trying to throw out a little info here. It doesn't need to get outa hand. Take it or leave it. JMO.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
You may be right about the studs, but those aren't "pretty clean". The porting is terrible. The heads are a mess with paint all over them. I don't see any valve job, let alone a three angle. The guides are sticking out of the guide bosses in the ports (I see one intake but I'd guess they're all the same).
I'm pointing this out for a reason. If if a guy doesn't have enough pride in his workmanship to represent his product any better than this, it's probably indicative of the workmanship that went into the product throughout. There's no quality of anything here, and I'm not saying this to bash this guy. I'm trying to give some of you an idea of what to avoid and why.
Representation is important on something like this. A nicely ported and well prepared set of heads is going to look that way.
Just trying to throw out a little info here. It doesn't need to get outa hand. Take it or leave it. JMO.
Didn't want to go into ebay. whats the bids on this mess, just curious? M

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Didn't want to go into ebay. whats the bids on this mess, just curious? M
No bids so far. $329.00 starting bid, "Buy it now" for $399.00

·
Registered
239 Posts
Those do look like crap, but looks don't necessarily mean a whole lot. I sent my heads and tunnel ram to Darin Morgin for porting last winter and when I got them back I wasn't really impressed with the "looks" of what he did. There was even a bit of epoxy on one area of my tunnel ram from where he broke through the casting! I was pleased that I did gain 3 - 4 MPH and better acceleration from the improvements made by Darin on my induction system and that happened with a slight drop in compression from his chamber work. His cost to me for cleaning up the heads, valve job and fully porting the tunnel ram was roughly $1300 and that included a set of new PAC Springs. Bottom line if a guy really knows what needs to be done the cost to do it doesn't necessarily have to be high in order to be effective. Darin knows his chit and didn't have to experiment for hours to figure out what needs to be done which results in less time and less money.

Who knows if the guy selling these heads has a clue or not! If he knows his chit it may be a great buy. If he's a hack they may be worse than "as cast". Buyer beware!:p

·
Registered
636 Posts
I dont think they look that bad for the money. Looks like pocket porting with chamber clean up. Needs a valve job and studs/guide plates which you would change anyway.
Whats wrong with leaving some of the guides in, other than job security:D.

·
Just another Wannabe
1,196 Posts
C'Mon Wette!
There is a big difference between Darin Morgan and some guy out in the side yard with a Harbor Freight die grinder and a free day. And if they were so professionally ported, they would have flow numbers with them. That is usually a good flag with "professionally ported."

·
Registered
239 Posts
C'Mon Wette!
There is a big difference between Darin Morgan and some guy out in the side yard with a Harbor Freight die grinder and a free day. And if they were so professionally ported, they would have flow numbers with them. That is usually a good flag with "professionally ported."
LOL! You are right, but my point is still that looks don't always tell the whole story. And for what its worth Darin didn't give me any final flow numbers when he ported mine. He just wet flowed them and made small tweaks to the bowls, short side and combustion chambers. I have seen prettier than what Darin provided, but at the same time the perfromance results were the best I've seen from porting alone with no other changes.

As for the heads listed I'd definately be leary. Without talking to the guy or actually seeing the heads first hand its hard to tell if their just cleaned up or ruined. Again, buyer beware with all used auto parts!;) I ran a set of 049's years ago that were cleaned up by a local old school shop and they ran great for what they were and cost. A lot of improvement can be made on these without a bench by someone who knows where to concentrate their effort and they don't get carried away.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
C'mon Vette, it's rediculous that you even compare these heads to what you got from Darin Morgan unless you're just trying to be argumentative.
I agree that looks don't ALWAYS tell the story, but 99% of the time, especially when it's all you have to go on, it does. If what Darin did wasn't cosmetically perfect, at least you know he did them, and they were done right. My guess is they still looked way nicer than this. These heads are dirty, paint overspray all over, porting is rough, etc. I guarantee you if Darin was posting pics of his work for sale it wouldn't look like this. The person selling these heads didn't even take the time to make them look presentable. In my experience, that says a lot about what you'd get if you were to buy them.

This might be some kid who just did his first set of heads, and is real proud of them, and just dosen't know better. I destroyed a pair of rect port BB Chev heads when I was a kid in the same manner. We've all been there. My post wasn't about the seller, it was aimed at the buyer and trying to offer a little insight to someone who might not know better, what not to buy, and why.
These are being advertised as "full race porting, intake and ex, chcambers cc'd, three angle valve job, ready to assemble." That's just not what I see here.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
C'mon Vette, it's rediculous that you even compare these heads to what you got from Darin Morgan unless you're just trying to be argumentative.
I agree that looks don't ALWAYS tell the story, but 99% of the time, especially when it's all you have to go on, it does. If what Darin did wasn't cosmetically perfect, at least you know he did them, and they were done right. My guess is they still looked way nicer than this. These heads are dirty, paint overspray all over, porting is rough, etc. I guarantee you if Darin was posting pics of his work for sale it wouldn't look like this. The person selling these heads didn't even take the time to make them look presentable. In my experience, that says a lot about what you'd get if you were to buy them.

This might be some kid who just did his first set of heads, and is real proud of them, and just dosen't know better. I destroyed a pair of rect port BB Chev heads when I was a kid in the same manner. We've all been there. My post wasn't about the seller, it was aimed at the buyer and trying to offer a little insight to someone who might not know better, what not to buy, and why.
These are being advertised as "full race porting, intake and ex, chcambers cc'd, three angle valve job, ready to assemble." That's just not what I see here.
Agreed, presentation of product shows the quality of workmanship that went into it. Very rough, but fixable. M

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

So what you are saying is to beware of buying things on e-bay, they may not always be what is advertised. Especially ones that to the trained eye are not as advertised.

Maybe Arnold put it best in kindergarten cop "thanks for the tip"

:)hand:)hand

1 - 20 of 27 Posts