Performance Boats Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Hey Sleeper, i ran str. 40wt. in my marine power 496 FI that has a jet behind it, if i change to multi wt. syn. oil should i use 10w40 or 20w50. Your opinion???

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,098 Posts
Hey Sleeper, i ran str. 40wt. in my marine power 496 FI that has a jet behind it, if i change to multi wt. syn. oil should i use 10w40 or 20w50. Your opinion???
If you're happy just keep doing what your doing, if you decide you want to change try the 20-50 ,but what dos the GM book call for ?

S CP :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
So the noticed operating temp reduction comes from what....... a magic fairy ? :)bulb As to noticed power increases from switching from a standard 20/50 to a syn 20/50 that increase can be accounted for how ? Same wt oil.

How many times have you run your engines on a dyno and did back to back pulls ? :)bulb More than the GM engineering department when they evaluated Mobil One over Pennzoil, Castrol and Valvoline ? Or maybe just more times than I have ? Or for that matter about 12 of the Engine Master's competitors I've talked to since '94 who all run syn oils. ;)

I guess if "standard" oils are better all the Nascar -Cup teams must be running synthetics because of the sponsorship money. I guess every Formula One team and Indy car team is in the same boat; the sponsorship money from the Synthetic oil companies is just to good to pass up. It has nothing to do with them being better oils :)sphss

I've been interested in this type of discussion for a long time (30 years or more)

OK here's a thought
What kind of oil do you run in your boat, car and truck

multi-viscosity 10-30
or just plain 30 w (weight)

Old school=
when we build a motor we break it in using a "Non detergent" oil
(Non detergent oil was used to 1. lube the engine and 2. let the particles flow down to the steel and let them sink into the pours of the steel and let them harden, thus making it a smother suffice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know if you can buy a Non- Detergent oil now they are very hard to find

Synthetic Oil Vs regular oil

Synthetic oil lasts for a longer time than regular oil
Question: Why would I use a synthetic Vs a regular oil
I get the same lube on a regular oil as a Synthetic but I only use my oil on a boat for 1 year (100 hrs max?) then change the oil

multi-viscosity :
20-50W (20 weight (a very thin oil which will protect your engine at a cold temp).-(50W while not an actual 50 weight, but affords the same PROTECTION) as a 50 weight)

Power, Vs Non Power
15-40 sf-sg ( diesle oil)
recomended for diesel engines only WHY?

diesel+ power stroke all the time.
Car engine: Idle mostly, power on demand Oil recomended: regular engine oil:
Jet Boat: Power? Vdrive: Power? I/O Power?
What kind of oil?
Why is the SF" SG on the can of a Diesel oil can and why can I not use the diesel oil in my boat? it affords's the same protection

I worked for my dad for a long time at Johstun Oil co. Tracy Ca.
I picked up oil from a company in the bay area and all the oil (chevron, valvoline, ect: and ALL the oil came from the same tank! they did put additives in the oil AFTER the distribution!

Why would I use Kendal Vs a cheaper oil?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
have any of you ever ran any of the LUCAS oils?
They offer a zinc additive oil for break-in and anytime use. And I spoke with them they still recommend the 15-40 deisel oil for marine applications. any input?
yes, i've run lucas for the past 2 years. 8 years ago, i ran royal purple synthetic for the first year, after that, synergen synthetic, then lucas for the last 2 years. since it's a full roller motor, i follow my engine builder's recommendations, and follow the specs for truck/cars/motorhome. when we pulled the engine apart after 7 seasons, bearing and other surfaces were basically perfect.
i ran synergen 0-20 in my ford lightning, until i sold it, and still use the stuff in the motorhome (ford recommends 5-20, i use the synthetic 0-20). when i run out of synergen, i'll switch it over to lucas.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,098 Posts
when we pulled the engine apart after 7 seasons, bearing and other surfaces were basically perfect.
I'm impressed with the filter ..... what do you use ?

When wouldn't you trust that DNE motor of yours to ....... ( on second thought I'll let it go) :)

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,098 Posts
Hey sleeper when you oil temp gets to 220 deg. How much does your oil pressure fall.
Idle psi drops to 45-48 vs 58-60 and running psi stays over 60 psi.

My new Kaase pump should improve over that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mobil 1 10-30 why?
Because I had a oil pump drive gear fail in my 100,000plus miles 3.0 Mercury sable I ran it 38 miles at around 85 mph with no oil presure (sometimes you just do what ya gotta do) When I pulled it apart to fix it I just ended up changing the cam and the pump drive, the rods and the mains looked like new.

If mobil 1 can take that kind of abuse there isn't any reason to use anything else. If it's got an engine and it's mine it has mobil 1 in it, 3000 Ford diesel tractor, lawn tractors, lawn mowers, generator, the kids mini bike you get the idea!

oops I lied my 7.3 Diesel has 15-40 conventional oil in it I change it every 2-3000 miles just to make sure it stays clean. Mobil 1 would cost me a fortune to use in that.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,098 Posts
Old school=
when we build a motor we break it in using a "Non detergent" oil
(Non detergent oil was used to 1. lube the engine and 2. let the particles flow down to the steel and let them sink into the pours of the steel and let them harden, thus making it a smother suffice. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know if you can buy a Non- Detergent oil now they are very hard to find

Synthetic Oil Vs regular oil

Synthetic oil lasts for a longer time than regular oil
Question: Why would I use a synthetic Vs a regular oil
I get the same lube on a regular oil as a Synthetic but I only use my oil on a boat for 1 year (100 hrs max?) then change the oil

multi-viscosity :
20-50W (20 weight (a very thin oil which will protect your engine at a cold temp).-(50W while not an actual 50 weight, but affords the same PROTECTION) as a 50 weight)

?
On the break-in, I would guess there is a way to hone the cylinders so that you can start out with a syn oil. GM does it with the Vett's. The GM engineer I talked to told me something about it, I do know they break them in on syn oil. They don't run them and then change the oil.

I've told the story a few times on the "boards" but for those who have not read it. The GM engineer who I met at the Baja 1000 one year was the guy who had the check book for the racing department. He wrote the check for GM go race the Vett's at LaMans the year before. He told me about the testing that they did on oils before they decided to put Mobil One in the Vett engines. They did heat soak testing where they ran the engines up to 300* oil temp and then shut them off to heat soak. The oil temp would continue to rise. They did the heat soaking over and over. Every major brand of dinosaur oil was tested. They all turned to sludge by 300 cycles some startd turning at 250 cycles, but all were sludge by 300 cycles. They tested Mobil One at the same time. He told me that they stopped abusing the Mobil One at 1,000 cycles and at 800 cycles the Mobil One looked like it was just poured out of the bottle even at 1,000 cycles it looked new. And the engines made more power with the Mobil One in the pan.

I had already be using and I wasn't surprised with the great results they had.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Mobil 1 10-30 why?
Because I had a oil pump drive gear fail in my 100,000plus miles 3.0 Mercury sable I ran it 38 miles at around 85 mph with no oil presure (sometimes you just do what ya gotta do) When I pulled it apart to fix it I just ended up changing the cam and the pump drive, the rods and the mains looked like new.

If mobil 1 can take that kind of abuse there isn't any reason to use anything else. If it's got an engine and it's mine it has mobil 1 in it, 3000 Ford diesel tractor, lawn tractors, lawn mowers, generator, the kids mini bike you get the idea!

oops I lied my 7.3 Diesel has 15-40 conventional oil in it I change it every 2-3000 miles just to make sure it stays clean. Mobil 1 would cost me a fortune to use in that.
I basically did the same thing. I had a cylinder wall fail which ended up kicking #1 rod out before 1/2 track. My dumb a$$ was trying to qualify so I stayed in it (just thought it had a miss:)sphss). Just pass the finish line I glanced over like usual to check oil pressure and there was none!!! Shut the motor down and of course water and 10qts of oil where in the bottom of the boat. Tore the motor down and the crank just needed to be polished. Mobil 1 is good oil!!!!! I figured if it allowed a motor to run without oil for a 1000' at 8000 RPM with very minimal damage then it won me over!!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The type of oil someone uses really gets down to personal preference. Engines in the higher RPM should be using a straight weight. You can not compare a street vehicle to a boat.

The boats are either at or close to idle or above 3000 rpm. Oil does not care, but the temps it has to handle is the difference.

A boat that runs 4K to 5k can handle a multi visosity oil. A boat that runs over 5k needs a stronger viscosity. Over 5500 rpm should, in my opinion, run a straight weight motor oil. Which type again goes to personal preference.

The guy that built my engine recommended Valvoline VR1 50wt. I trust his opinion because I am running over 6000 rpm. Most engines in our boats do not run over 5500 rpm.

Another question is synthetic or dyno oil. Again I feel it is personal preference. Synthetic does do a better job of lubricating. But it does not last longer than dyno oil. The filter can only clean for so long . Does the cost difference make that much difference in performance. NO

We have lake boats, make the engine last. Dino oil has worked for years.

Is Brad Penn better than Amsoil, Is Joe Gibbs better, is Mobil I better?? That is up the the person putting it into their boat.

Whatever works and you are happy with it, keep using it

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I've said this before:

I don't worry about what type of oil I run or when I change it, I just have to make sure it has it..............:)hand

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I think I've said this before:

I don't worry about what type of oil I run or when I change it, I just have to make sure it has it..............:)hand
Yes, kinda important THAT one. :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've been running the quicksilver 25/40 marine oil in mine. Does anybody else run this oil? It's pretty expensive.
i have always used this oil. i wish some other people had. the only thing i know is what a sales person told me 8 seasons ago. the only part i remember is that there is a patent on their oil and it is guaranteed to never break down.
i think mine is Mercruiser 25/40. but i believe quicksilver and Mercruiser merged at some point in the ball game. i believe they are the same oil now.

has anyone else used these oils or know anything about either????
at this point, my boat says its great, and a marine mechanic/salesman swears
by it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself..........again.

Valvoline 20W-50 full synthetic........because it's kept my motor together for 7 seasons going on 8. Last cold leak down check 5% across the board. Doesn't say much for the bearings, but apparently everything else is pretty good.
Geeeeez change your oil already! ;)

41 - 60 of 68 Posts