Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does it matter what oil port on the side of a bbc i use for the mech oil pressure gauge , i now have the large middle hole set up to do the job but before i run it i would like to make sure this is correct ive seen that some people are using the rear small hole, and i got a little nervous that i may have made a mistake thank you in advance

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Large, middle?

does it matter what oil port on the side of a bbc i use for the mech oil pressure gauge , i now have the large middle hole set up to do the job but before i run it i would like to make sure this is correct ive seen that some people are using the rear small hole, and i got a little nervous that i may have made a mistake thank you in advance
Are you refering to the larger, 1/4 NPT on the side of the block, about in the middle? I think that hole is for a water petcock. You can pick up oil pressure just above the filter, or at any of the 1/8th pipe plugs along the main gallery....MP

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i ment the middle 3/4 in. pipe thread hole that is above the filter , there are three above the filter , and it is the one in the middle but thank you

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
sorry i ment the middle 3/4 in. pipe thread hole that is above the filter , there are three above the filter , and it is the one in the middle but thank you
Do you have any pictures?

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Billy,
I use the 1/8" npt port on the upper forward side of the filter mount. I have a 45º brass fitting screwed in to the block and the sender screwed into the fitting. The reason is it gets the sender out of the way for R&R of the oil filter.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Any of the 3 should work. Turns out they are all attached to the same gallery, and, the oiling system being hydraulic, anywhere ahead of the crank in that main supply gallery would do just fine.

Yea, like MP said, the middle hole in teh block along that rail, is into the cooling jacket, not the oil gallery, so THAT one won't work so good.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Billy,
I use the 1/8" npt port on the upper forward side of the filter mount. I have a 45º brass fitting screwed in to the block and the sender screwed into the fitting. The reason is it gets the sender out of the way for R&R of the oil filter.
That is the one I use, and is the one that I think is SUPPOPSED to be the sender port, or at least the most commonly used one.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Billy,
That's the one I use too.:D

The 45* thing is a great idea, I never thought about that. I just have it coming straight out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have my mech. line plumed into the middle 3/4 in, hole thank you all for the help , i know that the one on the middle of the block is for the petcock/water drain , but i should have been more specific

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
If it is a production block the best place to take the oil pressure reading is from the furthest forward oil galley plug along oil pan rail LH side of the motor. This is the furthest and last point that the motor receives oil pressure so it is the truest reading. If you can't access that plug due to motor plates etc. use the next one back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts