Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed this brand new steer cable transom seal last year and I noticed that within a couple of months it started to show sign of cracks. Today, when I loosened the nut the seal tore. Was this an installation error on my part or a poor quality seal?

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OZONE!..... rubber just isn't what it used to be ... if you got it from me I'll send you one N/C
Thanks Tom! I didn't get it from you I got it from another vendor on this forum. Hopefully he'll come forward and offer to replace it n/c as well. It's crazy to think that the enviorment can attack rubber like that so quickly.

·
Registered
746 Posts
seriously ? with all the crap in the air and water it's a wonder they last as long as they do ....

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Thanks Tom! I didn't get it from you I got it from another vendor on this forum. Hopefully he'll come forward and offer to replace it n/c as well. It's crazy to think that the enviorment can attack rubber like that so quickly.
Back in the day those things would last at least a season, the Old white ones seemed to last forever , we changed our material a few years back . kind of spooky makes you wonder what the Ozone does to you Huh ?

PS helps if you put it in with silicone or lanoline

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Hey Tom mine did the same thing but...it has'nt seen the sun yet....can you over tight them?..oh yea, I bought 10 from you ..:grin:
Send em' back Bro :) overtighten yes , will bind up steering tube , we put them in half in half out use a little non petro lube and make em have a little fat roll on either side

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Way to step up Tom! Top Notch customer service! I know just a cheap rubber seal but how many people would 100% warranty a part not installed by them and was used for a season! K, sorry back on topic.
Tom is good people! He's even answered my call and taken an order while on vacation!!!

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
I'd jump on the bandwagon too, but I still have those 2 free stainless bulkhead cable penetrations Tom sent me to try.:)Unsure
(I keep meaning to send those back, BTW)

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
If it came from us let me know, I will replace also. All of ours come from American Turbine, hopefully there isn't a problem with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts