Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Passant hull, in / out casale v-drive with 1.12 gears, pontiac 400 engine and the shaft strut is a 10*. Right now I am running a 12 X 15 LH 3 blade Nibral cupped prop, but it does not seem like it is running as fast as it should. Can anyone make a recommendation on which prop I should try to run with?? Any info is appreciated!!

·
WET MEMBER
1,251 Posts
I have a 1970 Passant hull, in / out casale v-drive with 1.12 gears, pontiac 400 engine and the shaft strut is a 10*. Right now I am running a 12 X 15 LH 3 blade Nibral cupped prop, but it does not seem like it is running as fast as it should. Can anyone make a recommendation on which prop I should try to run with?? Any info is appreciated!!
post this in the v-drive section

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
nice and easy go with a 2 blade 11 1/4 x 15 steel prop get the brass off not good with a v-drive
Thats about right, maybe a 12/14 2 blade menkins, that will will give it some tail lift and take some bounce out of it. that Pontiac is lucky to put out 450 real hp. probably would not 'set' with a 15 Stellings on the big end. I had a Passant that ran 93 mph on a radar gun and set great with a 12/14/ 22 gears / BBC 11 : 1 tunnel ram 468. at 6200 rpm.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Aside from ditch the brass, personal preference has a lot to do with prop selection...and along with that is learning how a prop works.

imho the best way is to borrow a prop..try it out....see what you like and what the boat/motor/gear ratio likes.. A motor like a 455 olds that
don't rev past 5k but makes killer torque at 4k likes big gears (40's)and a lot of prop (12x 16-17 cleaver)...

same gears and prop with a 7200 rpm 427... and the boat is a dog below 60 mph...although the ride from 60 to 7200 is plenty...interesting!

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
cleavers dont work on flats sorry
You mean if i had a flattie and i put a cleaver it don't matter how much
hp the motor had...the boat just.....won't work?:)Unsure

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
props

You need to call Harold Kindsvater. He manufacturers V drive props and has a vast amount of knowledge. He will give you a recommendation. If you buy a prop from him he will work with you on sizing, cupping, ect.

He will want to know gears, rpm, horespower and weight. Give him as much info as you can. I bought a prop from him and when we were done tuning my boat ran great. Proper bow lift, no chine, great acceleration and the best top end.

Harold (559) 299-2328

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried a menkins 12X15 2 blade prop and it vibrated so much, I had to retighten all the screws on the boat!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are going to redo the boat this winter, maybe change the gears in the v-drive and bump up the motor a bit, then we should have all the stats needed for a proper prop. The boat is running about 50mph and would like it to go in the 90mph range. Any recommendations to accomplish that??

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Thats about right, maybe a 12/14 2 blade menkins, that will will give it some tail lift and take some bounce out of it. that Pontiac is lucky to put out 450 real hp. probably would not 'set' with a 15 Stellings on the big end. I had a Passant that ran 93 mph on a radar gun and set great with a 12/14/ 22 gears / BBC 11 : 1 tunnel ram 468. at 6200 rpm.

Hey Violator, I have the same setup in a '75 Sanger with a menkins 11 x 16 prop 2 blade. I have 18% drive and run about 80 at 5500rpm cruising. Was yours about topped out at 6200? I dont know where mine will go yet. Is 7000-7500 expecting too much with this prop?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't know what type hull, length or RPM you were turning but I ran a 19ft Kindsvater with a 10* casale 1.12 gear with a 11 1/4X15 menkins redone by Harold and at 6200RPM=85MPH, put the big motor in 8200RPM=112MPH. That comes out to 73RPM per MPH. If this will help you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts