Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to build a 580ci. Trying to decide if i should go with a blower or twin turbos. I have never delt with turbos, looking for opinions and ideas. What size turbos would be needed for the cubic inch? Who is a good sorce to get parts from? Thanks

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
s480's or gt4788's

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Not enough info. What exactly are you asking of the engine? All out drag deal? Jet? if so then maybe a set of promod 94's:wink2:
If its just a playtoy for the lake then a lesser set of turbos but at that cid you beyond what would be optimum for a set of S480's, a set of gt4788's would be OK, but max effort deal will put you up around 94+ mm.

Give this man a call, he wont steer you wrong.JMHO
Steve Morris, Racing Engines, Procharger, Race Car Chassis Fabrication

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I have a pair of gt5533's, 91's, for my 621 motor build.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I have a pair of gt5533's, 91's, for my 621 motor build.
And that should make enough power to tear a new black hole into the universe, but like I said, not enough info. And if we're talking all you can get-there just aint no more, then might as well go big or go home.:p
All truth be told, a set of 88's-90's would be enough power to tear up just about anything put behind his engine, just depends on his intended usage.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
What Hass said,

If you don't need 2000 hp then don't put real large turbos on it.
Identify your goals before you start and read a couple turbo books.
Identify YOUR capabilities.
There's a lot to understand and using opinions is not going to be in your best interest.

If it's just a lake boat and 1200 - 1400 hp is enough for you then a couple 65 mm turbos with a T6 housing would be real impressive.

The old Gale banks systems will make 850 hp and do a good job for some.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Its going in a 19 ft tunnel jet. Don't need a max effort deal just somthing to put a big smile on my face. Old combination made around 900 hp. It was a blown deal. Looking to get a little more or alot more. I need to get a bigger blower or go the turbo route.

·
1,814 Posts
definately don't do the gail banks turbo deal they come with rajay @56mm turbos .way too small ! 65mm? 580+ci? i believe those might run like my 56mm rajays on the 496,(burn up occasionaly)505ci killed the turbos instantly.,just speculating though. i bought 72mm for my 505ci for instant holeshot-no lag. i would think @72 mm would be good but you can call a turbo company & they will have the compressor maps & know exaclty what you should run . (i hope!) i have not had a chance to test my new turbos yet. these other guys here have alot of experience, i only have a little on what i've done.good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don"t mean to hijack this thread, but what what turbo company would you suggest. I would like to upgrade from rajays to something with wastegates. 468, 2 830 holleys, full roller. Thanks for any help. Bill Timmings

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I don"t mean to hijack this thread, but what what turbo company would you suggest. I would like to upgrade from rajays to something with wastegates. 468, 2 830 holleys, full roller. Thanks for any help. Bill Timmings
Whatever you find, those Holleys arent going to help any. You would never want to go with an old school draw though arrangement.
A blow through single carb would be a far better starting point.

Borg Warner turbos have worked good for me.
Garretts are probably the best known.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts