Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 22' prop boat with an engine hatch. im wondering what style of "filter" i should be using. i have plenty of room so there is no clearance issues. engine is a N/A single carb small block chevy in the 440hp range.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
With a closed engine compartment you're kinda limited to a USCG approved flame arrester. I would run the largest size that fits under the cover, since the smaller sizes are somewhat restrictive. Jocko

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I ran a tiny babron deal with all its screens, as well as a big K&N, motor turned the same rpm. Not saying they are equal but those babron arrestors can flow some air. This was on an 800hp bbc.

Id go with the USCG approved k&n and keep it oiled.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
X 2 on the K&N filters, About the most affordable SS & USCG approved out there. I have two of the 9" X 5" K&N's inside my scoop. A little filtered air never hurts, bugs are really bad this season.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im leaning toward the k&n. they look great and seem to fit my application best. will i still get a million mile warranty ? thanks for pointing me in the right direction again guys.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have two of the 5 X 9 K&N's on top of a pair of their SS velocity stacks on my pump gas 565, USCG legal as flame arrestors and keep out dirt, bugs, and tickets from over zealous LEO's, although I did notice the same unit with a USCG approval is $ 10.00 more than the automotive equilivent, boat tax I imagine.

·
Administrator
11,647 Posts
I advise K&N also to keep out the dirt and crap, I can also sell you one if you need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts