Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Not for sure on the port layout. Lots of old chevys used that system on midgets.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Would it be for the 292 chevy?

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Something that shares exhaust ports. Only room for 4. unless a crossflow head and the exhaust is on the other side.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I can't remember if they have the intake/ext. ports on the same side as the 230s

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Looks like a Hilborn style injector for a 240 Datsun. Port location and layout seems damn close to me from the picture to being a L-24.
I think you are probably right about that being for a Datsun L-24/26/28 series. Spent 10 years working in a shop that did a lot of Z-cars and that looks awful close.

AMC/Jeep 4.2 and 4.0 share a similar layout but totally different bolt pattern.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
I'll check at the shop tomorrow. We had most of an engine but I think we threw it out.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Cool, thanks. These engines any good for a racing deal?
those old z's were strong. beat the crap out the 280 i had 30 years ago, and it would just keep on running. worked great on twisty roads... i always thought a good turbo deal would be great on one of those...

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Definitely for a Datsun L Series 6 cylinder, such as the L-20A (not available in this country), L-24, L-26 & L-28. The manifold bolt pattern gives it away. Awesome engines. Having owned ten Datsun 510s myself, I've built my share of L Series engines. :D

LO

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Something that shares exhaust ports. Only room for 4. unless a crossflow head and the exhaust is on the other side.
6 exhaust ports, all on the same side and in a row below the intake ports. The outer (last two) exhaust ports are below/outside of the #1 & #6 intake ports.

LO

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
These engines any good for a racing deal?
The Datsun L-Series engines set track records on every track they raced on. In 1971, they entered the B-Sedan racing series two races late (two races behind in points) and still won the series. Pete Brock oversaw the racing program, John Caldwell built the engines, John Morton out-drove everyone in the 510 and 240z.

All Datsun L Series came OEM with forged crankshafts, were an aluminum overhead cam engine with a double roller timing chain. Designed by Mercedes in 1958 or 1959, Mercedes cast their block and head from aluminum and the Mercedes engines had a history of cracking blocks....so Mercedes leased the engine design to Datsun, who cast the blocks out of iron and subsequently took the sports car road racing world by storm.) The rods are strong and I used the OEM rods in engines past 8000 rpm; a friend of mine had an engine that ran to 10,200 with the OEM (well prepped) rods. 1.5 hp/cubic inch can be done in your slep with these engines....

LO

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Definitely for a Datsun L Series 6 cylinder, such as the L-20A (not available in this country), L-24, L-26 & L-28. The manifold bolt pattern gives it away. Awesome engines. Having owned ten Datsun 510s myself, I've built my share of L Series engines. :D

LO
for some reason, L-20 rings a distant bell as a 4 cyl??? been a long long time...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts