Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For want seems like 20 years now, I keep seeing mountain bikes and 10 speeds on roof racks and the back of just about every kind of vehicle imaginable. And what I also see, is plastic grocery bags covering the seats. I want to know why. Is thee a major theft ring for bike seats? Does it make them softer? Harder? I question this because I have my mountain bike in the bed of my truck and the seat is above the roofline. I know it's not blow off prevention, because it's sustained some serious speed tests back there. What gives?

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Yep, bugs. Some also have a "bra" that goes over the handle bars and seat.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Bug protection??? On the spare tire carrier? Those are some purdy fast bugs. ;)
OK, bugs, dirt, sun, etc.

Good bicycle seats are like a good baseball mit. Once you get it broken in it fits like a glove. ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Bugs and no wet seat when you go to ride, it'll get wet anyway at some point kinda silly, or maybe to keep the seat from drying out and cracking hell i don't really know.....

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
"and the back of"...
:D

Someone needs to inform the biking community that the trend applies to roof mounted bikes. ;)
In "the back of" my truck, my ATB's bars are right above the roof of my truck. ;)

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
It was my understanding that the plastic covers will allow ones buns to slip more on the seat thus a less sore ass at the end of the day.
Same theory with the slick riding pants.

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
Bugs and no wet seat when you go to ride, it'll get wet anyway at some point kinda silly, or maybe to keep the seat from drying out and cracking hell i don't really know.....
Yes...keeps the seat dry. Water wears them out faster.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I ride mountain bikes ALOT and never see people rolling up to the trail heads with bags on their seats.

Must be an east coast thing. We only get rain a few times a year so there is really no reason to ride in it. (But skipping work to go ride on a rain day is always fun)

Here's a new video of ATT's World Cup area. It's a fun spot.
please right click and save as.
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/RockingInSoCal.wmv

1 - 14 of 14 Posts