Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get my Registration stickers off my boat, the old michigan ones, and its a bitch!!

I got a heat gun and razor blades and its slow and painfull, no to mention im scared to scratch the gel:mad:
I also want to remove the name off the back of the boat which is made up of the same type of sticker.

Is there a spray chemical that can help me out?

Thanks again!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It is worth your time to be patient, the heat gun basically separates the material from the adhesive and leaves at the gunk on the boat. I like to use Goo-Gone available at Walmart to remove the glue. I worked at sign shop for years and this is the best product for any type of surface, without worrying about it eating into your paint. They have some better stuff but you have to be real careful with it.
If the numbers are not so old and stiff you can get a corner up with a blade and then just peel it off and the adhesive should come with. If they are being stubborn then a heat gun is your best bet and get to soaking the glue with the remover.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Use rubbing alcohol and a plastic squeege, just go slow and work the alcohol under the sticker it will come right off....and the alcohol works great to take the glue off once you get the sticker off...

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
The 3M is adhesive remover is designed to take adhesive off of freshly pained surfaces without damage. Works great. I use it on all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
for the glue, goo gone is great stuff, but i don't have te patience for it. many years ago, a detailer suggested lacquer thinner to get really nasty road grime off the gel. been using it ever since. takes care of sticker glue very quickly and cleanly... just get a rag wet with it and go to work...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Blender, if your planning on changing the name of the boat, you need to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Posidons memory so the boat dosen't have bad luck.

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blender, if your planning on changing the name of the boat, you need to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Posidons memory so the boat dosen't have bad luck.
Im not changing the name, i'm just making it smaller, its going to be on the back of the boat between the 2 pissers.
I know all about the bad luck name deal and how to get around it:)

·
Social
1,250 Posts
Im not changing the name, i'm just making it smaller, its going to be on the back of the boat between the 2 pissers.
I know all about the bad luck name deal and how to get around it:)
Trying to get my Registration stickers off my boat, the old michigan ones, and its a bitch!!

I got a heat gun and razor blades and its slow and painfull, no to mention im scared to scratch the gel:mad:
I also want to remove the name off the back of the boat which is made up of the same type of sticker.

Is there a spray chemical that can help me out?

Thanks again!:)

Is it just adhesive??? May sound crazy but I use Pure Citrus Spray. (orange air freshner) takes sticky price tag adhesive right off. Worth a try.

We used oven cleaner to get our boat name off. Did nothing to our gel.

·
whats a goodtime cost?
270 Posts
Yeah the oven cleaner works great to get painted numbers and names off of the gel. But be careful, don't get it on any of your anodized metal. Like your trim or around bow lights. It will discolor the metal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts