Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running a mag now and after the install, I am wondering what type of switch should I use for the on/off (kill). I was told nothing less than 10 gauge wire up to my dash and to the switch.

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
To kill a mag all you do is ground the mag. No need for #10 wire. LOL. Wonder where guys come up with shit like that?

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To kill a mag all you do is ground the mag. No need for #10 wire. LOL. Wonder where guys come up with shit like that?
If I am going to run the wire up to my dash, do I need some sort of heavy duty switch, especially since I am going to be grounding it out?

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
Just buy a good quality switch. Rex marine sells them. Also you might consider a mercury type kill switch ....a landline type deal so that if you were to come out of the boat it would ground the mag and kill the engine. In fact that is the only switch I use on my boats.

Run a wire from the mag terminal (16 gauge is fine) to one side of the kill switch....then for the other terminal run a wire back to a good engine ground.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=killswitches

switch 368101 is the landline switch.

you DON't want 301104 as it can be a "shocking" experience with a mag if you happen to touch a terminal.

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fiat48. I will also try to avoid coming out of my 21' open bow jet, unless pushed by my wife.

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
Just a note here....when I got my renewal sticker here in Nevada...there was pamplet enclosed that said "ALL" boats had to have "a device that would kill the engine if the driver was ejected from the boat."

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
2 types

There are 2 types of "kill" switches. For a standard ignition that needs 12V to operate the switch circuit is OPEN when uncovered, CLOSED when the cover is put on, thereby supplying 12 V to the coil.......For a mag, the switch is CLOSED when uncovered, and OPEN when covered. As the cover comes off, the switch closes and completes the circuit to ground, killing the engine. Be sure to buy the switch for the MAG, as they are not interchangeable...........MP

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
There are 2 types of "kill" switches. For a standard ignition that needs 12V to operate the switch circuit is OPEN when uncovered, CLOSED when the cover is put on, thereby supplying 12 V to the coil.......For a mag, the switch is CLOSED when uncovered, and OPEN when covered. As the cover comes off, the switch closes and completes the circuit to ground, killing the engine. Be sure to buy the switch for the MAG, as they are not interchangeable...........MP
DING DING DING!!! Money pit has it, A mag creates it's own power and the only way to kill it is to ground it. If you think this is wrong then grab hold of the electrode that protrudes into the cap and give it a spin. M

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
DING DING DING!!! Money pit has it, A mag creates it's own power and the only way to kill it is to ground it. If you think this is wrong then grab hold of the electrode that protrudes into the cap and give it a spin. M
Wow, the light bulb just came on.......

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
If you think this is wrong then grab hold of the electrode that protrudes into the cap and give it a spin. M

:)bit:)bit:)bit:)bit:)bit:)bit This is the face you will make after its said and done:D

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Where is the kill switch usually mounted at?
If it is a race boat, As close to the driver as possible. for a lake boat, that would be at a point where you can operate said switch to kill motor. Mercury switch is great for both but you will need a tether to pop the cap If driver goes for a swim. For electronic ingition use the switch to complete the curcuit. For a mag use the switch to ground the curcuit. ROCKET SCIENCE. M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts