Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my son one for college, I have no clue what the best styles or systems are. I was also considering an the Macbook? I've heard good things about the Apple products.

I've also noticed that they've come down in price since I had a laptop 4 years ago. Looks like for 7 or 8 hundred I can get something with quite a bit of options.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
if you go to the spam section, frdvschvy is selling a few of them. you might want to take a look at those

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you go to the spam section, frdvschvy is selling a few of them. you might want to take a look at those
Ok, but I still don't know what I'm looking at, or what options I need to get him.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm an IS guy and we mainly deal with DELL and there pretty good. Make sure you get the warranty.
I like HP products. They just seem like there made better.
Everyone that has ever bought a MAC says it's the best and wouldn't ever go back to a PC.
Prices have dropped alot and you can get a great product for a great price.
I just always fall back on the warranty. DELL Gold warranty is great with great service within 4 hours but it's expensive.
I personally would just find the best deal and hope the laptop last more than a year or two without breaking down.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm an IS guy and we mainly deal with DELL and there pretty good. Make sure you get the warranty.
I like HP products. They just seem like there made better.
Everyone that has ever bought a MAC says it's the best and wouldn't ever go back to a PC.
Prices have dropped alot and you can get a great product for a great price.
I just always fall back on the warranty. DELL Gold warranty is great with great service within 4 hours but it's expensive.
I personally would just find the best deal and hope the laptop last more than a year or two without breaking down.
I've heard that about the Mac also, but it's also twice the price.

Warranty, that's a good thing to consider.:)bulb

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
I'll put it to you this way. I'm currently typing this on a quad core with 4 gigs of ram running Windows Vista. Even with 1 gig of video ram I'm idling at 2.34 Gigs of ram. It's slow and choppy. I've watched old asian women move faster.

If this same system were a mac I'd be able to reposition 3/4 of all earth orbiting satellites, flatten a 416 layer CS3 file and get my taxes done in less than 3 seconds. Yeah, that's how fast.

Buy a mac.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Ok, but I still don't know what I'm looking at, or what options I need to get him.
i wouldnt know. i dont know a damn thing about computers.:)sphss

i just remember seeing it posted. you may want to pm him. he should be able to answer any questions you may have. :)devil

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
For software, iLife is standard...not a whole lot in there that would help with school other than organizing potential GF's by facial recognition. Add on Microsoft Office and say goodbye.

·
On The Gas
1,428 Posts
I've heard that about the Mac also, but it's also twice the price.

Warranty, that's a good thing to consider.:)bulb
Go to www.apple.com. In the top right search field enter "refurbished". These are great units that literally look brand new and come with the same warranty as a new on. I bought 2 of these for $849.00:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB402LL/B?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

They are extremely capable for almost any task. Lots of great built in features and will most definitely be suitable for your kid for college.

We do graphics design, maintain our website, PhotoShop, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, you name it.

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
I've had a Dell Vostro for a 1.5 years. Runs like a champ.
3GB of memory.. Zero issues. Paid like 600 for it

·
Registered
236 Posts
My work computer is a Toshiba Satellite that was pretty cheap from Best Buy. Its got Vista and I thinks its a POS. Vista is terrible, this machine eats batterys (1 a year). It gets the job done but my next computer will be a mac for sure. Another thing to consider is size, I always thought bigger was better. Now that I take my lap top everywhere for work I want the smallest one possible. Easier on planes, on your lap, in a restraunt etc. Smaller screens are cheaper too. For a college kid to have something that rides around in a back pack I would go small. If he wants a gigantic monitor down the road buy him a docking station and a moniter for the house.

·
1,512 Posts
I've been using Mac's since the LISA came out. Love them. I have Windows 7 running on an HP laptop. Apple needs to look out. Microsoft finally got their game together. The system simply works.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My work computer is a Toshiba Satellite that was pretty cheap from Best Buy. Its got Vista and I thinks its a POS. Vista is terrible, this machine eats batterys (1 a year). It gets the job done but my next computer will be a mac for sure. Another thing to consider is size, I always thought bigger was better. Now that I take my lap top everywhere for work I want the smallest one possible. Easier on planes, on your lap, in a restraunt etc. Smaller screens are cheaper too. For a college kid to have something that rides around in a back pack I would go small. If he wants a gigantic monitor down the road buy him a docking station and a moniter for the house.
X2, from experience, Toshiba Satellite, not one problem. And the next one will be a Toshiba.

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
I own a few laptops , toshibas mostly, top of the line quad/huge ram, hell one of them even has a biometric scanner. And then I have my new macbook pro. You can have all the pc's they are clunkers. I will never go back to a pc. Mac is the shit. :)hand

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you're looking at a Mac, check to see if they still offer a student discount. I know that they used to have pretty good discount programs for college students.

·
Broke mo fo
3,184 Posts
Toshiba!! I have always had great luck with the satellite by Toshiba. 7 years on the last one.
I'm on year #3 with mine and it still works as good as new. Battery life does suck though. But I just keep it plugged in all the time anyways. I think paid around $500 and I've seen them cheaper than that recently.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts