Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the 15th run of the week the little 342" laid-over at 6,700 rpm at 185 mph at 2.5 miles of a 3 mile run.
the AF was 12.7 at mile 2. when it laid-over I checked the gauge and it was 14:0

the exhaust valve wacked the piston pretty good:

I'll be checking the valve springs next week. The protruded plugs will be coming out.

The engine will get a fresh-up, but I have a feeling the Mustang will be getting my 410" Windsor in it next year. 680-700hp vs the 550hp from the 342"...200 mph here we come.

So what went first? that's a lot of damage from the plug and what's left of it :idea:

S CP :mad:

(well I can't really be mad, this engine got a hell of a work-out from the crew (3) driving it. they put 12 of the 15 passes on it as they got their licenses)

Hey Bostick...you looking for something else to do?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
...................... when it laid-over I checked the gauge and it was 14:0
Keep in mind that by the time you felt the motor lay over, the A/F you were seeing was the result of the problem, not the cause. A weak or dead hole pumps a lot of oxygen down the pipe.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind that by the time you felt the motor lay over, the A/F you were seeing was the result of the problem, not the cause. A weak or dead hole pumps a lot of oxygen down the pipe.
Oh yeah all had already gone to shit by the time I saw it.

S CP

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

car went 188mph in the timed 3 mile. Showed 192.4 mph on the gps (exit speed)
Next year we try for 200 with it. I think we can do it by pulling the C-4 auto and installing a G-Force 5 speed. But the 400+ Windsor sounds like a lot of fun.

S CP :D

·
Overdrawn
261 Posts
Cool stuff,
did you guys get to checkout the 550 Streamliner of Treit and Davenport?:)devil

·
Registered
570 Posts
The plug started it.
Is that the only exhaust that hit? Plug electrode could have had a little to wth that as well.

Extended electrode plugs are bad news in extended high RPM, high compression applications. You can put one in a blown deal and lose it in mere seconds.[/QUO]

bob what do you recommend running in a blown alky deal??? my heads use this same style plug and i bought 7-10 on the ranges to play with but they are all extruded electrode style plugs..thanks for the help jeff

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The plug started it.
Is that the only exhaust that hit? Plug electrode could have had a little to wth that as well.

Extended electrode plugs are bad news in extended high RPM, high compression applications. You can put one in a blown deal and lose it in mere seconds.[/QUO]

bob what do you recommend running in a blown alky deal??? my heads use this same style plug and i bought 7-10 on the ranges to play with but they are all extruded electrode style plugs..thanks for the help jeff
I have never ran alky so somebody else would be a much better source. My guess would be that you can run a pretty warm plug due the fuel cooling the plug. I'm guessing the 7 are alot closer than the 10s. I'd be suprised if you can even use the 10s
14MM .750 reach NGK Non projected plugs are part # (7)4091, (8)4554, (9)5238, (10)5820 or stock # R5671A-(7,8,9,10)
But the plug Jon was running is roughly the same heat as a NGK 6, maybe even a touch warmer. Thats pretty toasty for a salt car running WOT for 3+ miles.

I am a fan of the warmest plug that doesn't self distruct, but start on the cool side and go warmer. We started with 9s but now run 8s.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have never ran alky so somebody else would be a much better source. My guess would be that you can run a pretty warm plug due the fuel cooling the plug. I'm guessing the 7 are alot closer than the 10s. I'd be suprised if you can even use the 10s
14MM .750 reach NGK Non projected plugs are part # (7)4091, (8)4554, (9)5238, (10)5820 or stock # R5671A-(7,8,9,10)
But the plug Jon was running is roughly the same heat as a NGK 6, maybe even a touch warmer. Thats pretty toasty for a salt car running WOT for 3+ miles.

I am a fan of the warmest plug that doesn't self distruct, but start on the cool side and go warmer. We started with 9s but now run 8s.
thanks for the no projected #s we were told to run colder plugs than our gas setup..we ran 7s so i was going to start out with 9s..i like the non projected deal..will order several set tommarow and return most of the ones i have..thanks bob..jeff

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
CONGRATS on 190+

:))THumbsUp
Haulin the mail for that little 342 in fox body:thumb:
I have ran those same Autolite 3924 plugs in my 347 stroker SBF for years on the road coarse ussing Canfields 195cc without issues..
I dont think they are considered "extended tip" as the center electrode only extends out .125":confused:
on my Canfields the 3924 plug threads slightly extend into the combustion chamber which wasnt to my liking...
i have recently found out there is a denso plug that is slightly less then 3/4" reach and is suppose to match my Cans perfect and i will try them soon

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
:))THumbsUp
Haulin the mail for that little 342 in fox body:thumb:
I have ran those same Autolite 3924 plugs in my 347 stroker SBF for years on the road coarse ussing Canfields 195cc without issues..
I dont think they are considered "extended tip" as the center electrode only extends out .125":confused:
on my Canfields the 3924 plug threads slightly extend into the combustion chamber which wasnt to my liking...
i have recently found out there is a denso plug that is slightly less then 3/4" reach and is suppose to match my Cans perfect and i will try them soon

They are an extended tip plug.
There is HUGE difference between running on a couse that has you in and out of the throttle, up and down the gears, and keeping it pegged in high gear for 3 plus miles at max load for 3 plus miles.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 28 Posts