Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened a brand new tube of GE window & door Silecone II and sealed my pump up last night. Today i come out and it's still as wet as it was when it came out of the bottle. Figured ok maybe because it was cold last night, so i pull the boat out into the driveway so the sun and get at it and it's still wet. What would cause this, i was thikning maybe i bought one that was old?

Sucks cuz now i ahve to pull the damn transom plates again!!!

·
Re-member
146 Posts
yep its no good. I have founf that if the stuff doesnt have that real bad smell to it then its old and wont harden. I did the same thing once and installed a pump just to have to re do it because the stuff would not set up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The GE Silicone II is crap. They say not to let it get above about 90 degrees or so, if it does, it won't harden. Had it happen many times. Who's garage doesn't get above 90? It could get above 90 in a semi trailer during transport or in your car while shopping. Go for the older style 100% Silicone I with the acetic acid / vinegar smell. it speeds up the hardening with water, just what our group needs.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Use a good marine grade silicone, like Boatlife. Not all silicones are the same.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using GE Silicone II because thats what [email protected] told me to use. Thanks for the responces. I guess it's possible that the tube could have gotten over 90*. I think i might have brought this tube to the river with my last trip out just-in-case. Never opened it, figured it would just get hard, not stay soft!

·
CLASSIC HOTBOATER
739 Posts
GE Silicone II swells when oil hits it
it will break down and peel off if it even sticks
use 3m 5200 and never look back

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Always run a test bead first to check for curing before actual use.

LO

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't worry it won't be the last time the TA plates have to come off.
lol, ya dont doubt that! This GE Silicone II was a pain in my ass to get off the plates this time around. I'm scared to use somthing stronger :D

What do you guys usually use to remove the old silicone but not kill and Scare the powdercoat?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have had the GE do the same thing. Old silicone is crap. I always return tubes that have not been used over the course of my jobs because I don't want to use them after too long. I use Ultra black RTV on mine because it is made to withstand oil. I have also used caulking intended to seal gas pump sumps which is oil resistant as well.

Cy

·
Registered
344 Posts
lol, ya dont doubt that! This GE Silicone II was a pain in my ass to get off the plates this time around. I'm scared to use somthing stronger :D

What do you guys usually use to remove the old silicone but not kill and Scare the powdercoat?
no matter what you use it's still a pain but i think it was cyclone that suggested white fuel (camping stove fuel) and it works rather well. and doesn't harm the powder coating or paint.

as far as silicone i've used everything i can find to seal my setback and everything I used had to be redone. Finally at the recomendation of rex i bought a tube of boat life. best stuff i've found, hasn't turned colors, softened or leaked 1 drop. Someone else on the board highly recomended something called lexol or lexor from ACE. my local ace didn't carry it up until just recently so i haven't tried it but I know the boat life works and the price was the same.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
I opened a brand new tube of GE window & door Silecone II and sealed my pump up last night. Today i come out and it's still as wet as it was when it came out of the bottle. Figured ok maybe because it was cold last night, so i pull the boat out into the driveway so the sun and get at it and it's still wet. What would cause this, i was thikning maybe i bought one that was old?

Sucks cuz now i ahve to pull the damn transom plates again!!!
I used the same stuff and had the same results...Initially. I left for the weekend, When I got back the stuff had started to toughen up. Being that I was in no hurry,It was gonna sit for the rest of the winter, I let it set up. A few more days later it was good to go! If you are not in a hurry, and like the way it looks and feel like you have a good seal job, you may just sit it out and see what happens. It worked for me.Good Luck,Jack.

·
1,814 Posts
The GE Silicone II is crap. They say not to let it get above about 90 degrees or so, if it does, it won't harden. Had it happen many times. Who's garage doesn't get above 90? It could get above 90 in a semi trailer during transport or in your car while shopping. Go for the older style 100% Silicone I with the acetic acid / vinegar smell. it speeds up the hardening with water, just what our group needs.
the GE II didn't cure for me either!

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Lots of problems with the GE stuff. Use a different brand.

Gas works good for clean up.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
It was made in china then sold at harbor freight. Does that mean usa supports communism?

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
I used the same stuff and had the same results...Initially. I left for the weekend, When I got back the stuff had started to toughen up. Being that I was in no hurry,It was gonna sit for the rest of the winter, I let it set up. A few more days later it was good to go! If you are not in a hurry, and like the way it looks and feel like you have a good seal job, you may just sit it out and see what happens. It worked for me.Good Luck,Jack.
Ditto that for me. Still soft the next day but cured inside of a week and has been fine since then.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Just a theory!
If it was even shipped through California, it probably turned to crap!
nothing dries like it used to! lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts