Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to try to improve the transision(sp?) from the spacer to the carb. If it was your junk ....would you try to remove the entire hump(to the red line). Or just taper it to the black line? I don't want to jack up my fuel distribution. Any sugestions?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I am not sure I would do anything..That being said, the black line at the most IMHO

I suspect that is a custom spacer, if not, can you get a four hole and cut out the middle? :)bulb

GT :)hand

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd wait till you figure out what your gonna do about your engine agnle 1st.:)hand
Even if I can squeak 4 or 5 * out of my set up, I can still use this 5*. Sitting in the water, my junk leans back at least 10*. As far a the 4 hole deal, the plan for the spacer is to put a nos spray bar in it,hopefuly before next season. Even if I bought a std nos kit I'd still have this same issue....right? At least I've never seen a 4 hole nos plate set up?

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
Even if I can squeak 4 or 5 * out of my set up, I can still use this 5*. Sitting in the water, my junk leans back at least 10*. As far a the 4 hole deal, the plan for the spacer is to put a nos spray bar in it,hopefuly before next season. Even if I bought a std nos kit I'd still have this same issue....right? At least I've never seen a 4 hole nos plate set up?
I don't think I'd do anything. IMO you're already jacking your fuel distribution with the taper.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What angle is your boat setting while underway?
I don't honestly know....it appears to be about the same as when it's sitting dead in the water. I guess next time out I'll have my kid drive and I'll check. As far as getting the "right" spacer. Does anyone make an off the shelf nos plate that would fit my manifold better? Seems like everyone I've ever seen looks pretty much like that(but without the taper).

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can see now, what you folks are refering to as a taper, I call a wedge. Which is something I have never understood why anybody uses.
to get the fuel bowls leveled out;) and i thought you knew everything.

I wouldn't get rid of the cloverleaf, if anything get a cloverleaf spacer and have it angle milled. If you grind out the clover to match the spacers, your not only adding plenum volume there, but also the volume of the spacer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you thought about a cloverleaf spacer which matches the top of your plenum ???

I would be adding to the spacer rather than trimming the manifold

Edit: Josh must type faster than me, just seen the response above after posting

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Half the reason I want to run it obviously is to level out the carb. The other half...again...is it's planed to be a nos plate. Once again, is there such a creature as a clover leaf nos plate????

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't honestly know....it appears to be about the same as when it's sitting dead in the water. I guess next time out I'll have my kid drive and I'll check. As far as getting the "right" spacer. Does anyone make an off the shelf nos plate that would fit my manifold better? Seems like everyone I've ever seen looks pretty much like that(but without the taper).

Speedtech makes a 4 hole plate system, instead of having bars it has a diffuser disk in the center,

found this vid on yellowbullet, what a waste of good gas

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
If you're going to run a spray bar in it take the clover leaf out. My manifold had one in it and we took it out so the plenum spray bar would have better distribution:

S CP :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you're going to run a spray bar in it take the clover leaf out. My manifold had one in it and we took it out so the plenum spray bar would have better distribution:

small jack, whats with the dimples on the plenum floor? in my head it seams like the fuel would puddle there.

EDIT: i just remembered the ridges in the bottom of my CHI intake, probably the same concept, i still want to know theory behind it.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
^^^^^

Theory:

My cylinder head guy, Geoff just wanted to play around, he thought he'd try the "golf ball" theory. Kind of like a Brodix turtle. The disturbed air off the floor will keep the fuel suspended. :)bulb I don't know, but he knows a shit load more about air-flow than I do.

For years I've wanted to try an Extrude-honed intake (dual plane) most people have told me the fuel will puddle and it won't work. In 2004 I met a guy at the Engine Master's competition he had a dual plane RPM-Air Gap on his 408" smblk he had it Extrude-honed and picked up something like 15 hp and 12 lbs ft trq. over his hand ported manifold. He swore that "fuel fall-out" was a myth, he had built many many engines and 100'rds of dyno secessions.

Still want to try one one day....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just not some thing I have ever concerned myself with. Probably because they are never level.
Just messn with ya. On a v-drive boat the pad angle typically gets better as the boat rocks back, on a jet however it get worse. Probably not so much on a tunnel as a v bottom.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts