Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm between putting some $$ in the place I have now in Torrance, as opposed to swapping out for a house in the same neighborhood that's already remodeled, probably spending $100k to $150k more than my place could sell for at the moment.

Can $100k even touch?:
-Extending master bedroom by a good 150 sq ft.
-Remodeling the kitchen and a bath (nothin' fancy, but not re-facing)
-Adding another small bath (with "standard" cabinetry and materials)
-Enclosing a small front porch (4x8) to make an entry way and extending a dining area

Adding aprox 400 sq ft total

What should this cost, generally

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
This is a good time to do remodeling, especially in your part of the country. There are alot of hungry contractors out there. You can get a whole lot done with the amount of money your talking. To give you an idea, I just finished a flip(my property) that was just under 1500 sq ft. Completely gutted the whole house, added a master bath, laundry room. All new windows, 18" tile throughout, except bedrooms. All new hickory cabinets, porcelain tile counter tops, lower end stainless look appliances, new windows, exterior and interior doors. The whole house was re textured and alot of the rock was replaced. Basically a brand new home minus the outside shell and roof. I was into for roughly 24.5k for materials. That included some labor for my guys. Roughly 3k worth.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you don't have a contractor yet, you should consider getting some of the forum guys to bid out the job. People helpin' people...n 'shit. :D I'm sure there are a few great contractors on the boards.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
What are you guys talking about! Hell, I see these people on TV getting everything in the house redone including all new appliances, carpet, windows, tile floors, bathrooms, interior and exterior paint, roof and complete landscaping for anywhere between $15,000.00 and $30,000! Don't you guys watch TV???

·
MAMA TRIED
1,661 Posts
What are you guys talking about! Hell, I see these people on TV getting everything in the house redone including all new appliances, carpet, windows, tile floors, bathrooms, interior and exterior paint, roof and complete landscaping for anywhere between $15,000.00 and $30,000! Don't you guys watch TV???
Yeah no shit...I watched a few of those shows and I'm like damn. I can remodel my whole kitchen with new cabinets, granite, lighting, all new appliances, paint and finish for 4k. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,838 Posts

Yea those metrosexual and ***** interior designers come in with their Ikea crap and then make their home worth 75-100k more!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Well last summer my wife completely, and I mean completely, remodeled one of our houses. It was around 150k. This included moving walls, all new kitchen with subzero and viking. All new granite, and two baths gutted and redone. Tile, and carpeting was done as well. There wasn't one single wall that wasn't touched. Get a good contractor, and make a deal.

Darrell.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I pump concrete and see them all heres to good guy Id put my name on
1.M ELLs Gen Con 714 920-1869 Mike
2.Godwin Const. 714 345-5141 Dennis
Both are great Dennis a little more anal about the way the job looks at the end of the day no mess.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Yes there are a LOT of hungry guys out there, they'll promise you the moon and deliver you a turd, a lawsuit and house to fix.:|err

It cost what it costs there is no magical Voo Doo construction methods or materials.
Make sure any one you talk to has his license. comp and liability in order.
Make sure they use the proper contract documents for the state and make them detail EVERYTHING before signing including, what kind of tile, marble, granite, doors, hardware windows EVERYTHING. Anything not delineated in the contract will be an upgrade. Our estimate shows every switch, outlet, LF of moulding and what kind.
Check on Remodel Magazines web site for their cost vs value guide to get approximate sf prices or PM me and I'll mail you copy and tell you what to watch out for.

You're out of my area but I can give you some good FREE advice.:D

·
Registered
784 Posts
Let' think about this...
xtend mstr. bdm.Just add 150sq'. $15,000
Remodel kitchen/nothing fancy? $8,000
Just add another small bath? $20,000
Enclose a small porch to make an entry and extend the dininghil:)
It's only an extra 400' $25,000
The price is only good on my specs. and any issues that occure due to the lack of information will be $95.00 per hr. per person:)devil

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Too many variables to give you a price. Generally remodel and room additions can be around $ 150+ per SF for average finishes complete. Judging by your description I dont see where you end up with 400 SF. 150 SF for the master 32 SF for the enclosed porch equals 182 SF. That leaves you with 218 SF which not a small bathroom. The finishes and specs that you decide to go with are going to dictate a majority of the cost. Kitchens and baths are where the highest costs per SF can be in residential construction. Goodluck!

·
Registered
784 Posts
It all depends on what you want. Go and check out material and cabinets, it all will cost depending on what you want. Cheap is just that, custom is another price, granite? or do you want D100? You want to spend $100,000 I am sure someone will take it.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
It all depends on what you want. Go and check out material and cabinets, it all will cost depending on what you want. Cheap is just that, custom is another price, granite? or do you want D100? You want to spend $100,000 I am sure someone will take it.
Hell Yeah 100K/400SF = 250 per SF. Now that is some damn good profit on "average":D

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Too many variables to give you a price. Generally remodel and room additions can be around $ 150+ per SF for average finishes complete. Judging by your description I dont see where you end up with 400 SF. 150 SF for the master 32 SF for the enclosed porch equals 182 SF. That leaves you with 218 SF which not a small bathroom. The finishes and specs that you decide to go with are going to dictate a majority of the cost. Kitchens and baths are where the highest costs per SF can be in residential construction. Goodluck!
Agreed 400 is too much... The extra bathroom, a laundry room, master and entryway are all added sq ft.

Sounds like it's time to can the realtor and get some drawings made.

It's this or building a man cave in Havasu with a Hallett :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts