Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guy's having good luck with?? I'm pretty frustrated right now and I don't want to say anything I'll regret. I'll stick up a pic in a minute. Of todays carnage. My boat almost started.:)sphss

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
What are you guy's having good luck with?? I'm pretty frustrated right now and I don't want to say anything I'll regret. I'll stick up a pic in a minute. Of todays carnage. My boat almost started.:)sphss
I myself prefer one that works. They seem to be the most common.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Tilton's, Delco, and The little guy, that JBP is selling. I'm using the Lightning motor plate, and starter adapter. Never had any issue with any of them, just what I've used on projects.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just curious... I think I'm ready to jump ship. Maybe I should have through bolted the 1/16" bolt.lol It's hard to tell from the pic but the other side is together. I'm a little extra frustrated, I've been without a starter for a while. The first time I got it back. In time to run the day after thanksgiving, my rebuilt starter wouldn't even turn the flexplate. Fwiw(the second time I got it back) it turned the motor over fine, until I hooked the dist back up.

Here is the other side

Edit: fwiw the starter company has been polite and helpful(paid for the shipping back ect). Just getting a little concerned now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i use the the heavy cast iron chevy 4 speed one you can get any where at pep boys auto zone with 13to 1 and a locked out distributor its been in for over 10 years and no broken nose and if it takes a dump its ez to replace and my boat stays on the water not the trailer

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i use the the heavy cast iron chevy 4 speed one you can get any where at pep boys auto zone with 13to 1 and a locked out distributor its been in for over 10 years and no broken nose and if it takes a dump its ez to replace and my boat stays on the water not the trailer
I didn't know you could get a top mount/reverse rotation starter from pep boys:)grn

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I didn't know you could get a top mount/reverse rotation starter from pep boys:)grn
I don't belive you can ? I suspect Chuck was meaning a "bottom mount" in response to your question . Kreg what "precipitated this latest deal? JK did you get the pinion depth engagement/plate adaptor deal ironed out ? is there a chance this was a "too much initial timing issue (starter "kick back") ? Tom

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
that top bolt hole sure looks hogged out... can you get a new nose piece that has round holes with the right diameter?

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
The holes in the IMI starters do not locate the starter. Oblong holes shouldn't matter, as long as it fits tight into the starter adapter. But I would always check engagement with dykem

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Starter

I run the large 14MT DELCO STARTER MERCRUISER MARINE as well since 91'. Never an issue.:D 489ci, locked out dist, supercharged.
Even had an old motor Hydraulic once (stuck fuel solenoid, NOS) still turned the dam thing over.

Run a flexplate no Flyheel...FYI

RE

Attachments

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Those beefy heavy duty starters from IMI are nice.

Still a huge fan of Tilton starters, they do make a top mount reverse rotation.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I run the large 14MT DELCO STARTER MERCRUISER MARINE as well since 91'. Never an issue.:D 489ci, locked out dist, supercharged.
Even had an old motor Hydraulic once (stuck fuel solenoid, NOS) still turned the dam thing over.

Run a flexplate no Flyheel...FYI

RE
I had one of those in my 21' cruiser, that was one great starter. no problem with 10.5 to 1 locked out dizzy. always started.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't belive you can ? I suspect Chuck was meaning a "bottom mount" in response to your question . Kreg what "precipitated this latest deal? JK did you get the pinion depth engagement/plate adaptor deal ironed out ? is there a chance this was a "too much initial timing issue (starter "kick back") ? Tom
tom i did think bottom mount sorry should have looked at what in was reading

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
H2O, I know you have had starter issues! I had a a drag car a few years ago and had this problem or one like it! The flexplate was bent or warped caused a binding when starting! I had 13.5 to 1 and locked out dizzy. Changed the flexplate to a JW Wheel and solved this! There is binding going on somewhere or kickback as Tom said! WT:)devil

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm locked out Tom, it may have kicked back. It started once and then died, unfortunatley that's pretty normal for my junk when it's ice cold and hasn't ran for a month or more. I went to start it again and bnag! I'm not sure if it didn't "kick back" to be honest. As far as the flexplate it's a brand new sfi cert unit. I struggled with the starter being too close for a year. The last time I posted an "I hate my starter thread" outlaw recomended some offset dowls. I did that and changed the stock flexplate out at the same time. Well aparently the stock flexplate is a wee bit larger in dia. than the aftermarket one.:|err So now if anything I'm too loose. To add insult to injury in july it quit working so I had a local shop "rebuild" it. Aparently they didn't do chit acording to the manuf. It appears that it snatched the threads where that small 1/16 ish looking bolt goes into the housing. I dunno.... I'm sure your all sick of me whining about my starter. I probably should have kept this thread/problem to myself. I guess I just wanted to vent a lil. I'm over it...sorry guys.
Edit. I have to give them 2 thumbs up for cust. service,sounds like they are going to take care of me.... I don't know if it will help or not but maybe I should have a seperate switch for the ignition, that way I can turn the motor over and then put spark to her. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
The holes in the IMI starters do not locate the starter. Oblong holes shouldn't matter, as long as it fits tight into the starter adapter. But I would always check engagement with dykem
...shouldn't being the operative word. if that hole is as hogged out as it looks, it'll eventually move due to the repeated torque against it, even if alignment checks perfectly when it's first installed. seen so many flails with top mounts, it's sick, and it seems like it's always at the wrong time.

i have the delco top mount on the cruiser, works great. had the bendix wear out, replaced it and it continues to work just fine.
my bottom mount tilton worked perfectly for 13 years, finally started slowing down so was rebuilt last winter, and it's been back in the boat most of this season and has been flawless. i have a larger pro-line as a backup.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts