Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
i got skiillllzzzz....
977 Posts
sand off with some 800 grit paper,follow with some 1000grit.buff out your sanded spot with some buffing compound.if its over gel.if its on paint your good as long as you dont sand through the clear.:)hand

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have used lacquer thinner on a rag to soften the paint, then one of those plastic dish scrubbers(they are like a baseball-size ball of soft perforated plastic)to remove the bulk of the paint. Never had a problem, but suggest you test first.

UPDATE: NEVER USE THIS METHOD!!! Just 'cause it works on my paint doesn't mean it wont ruin yours! See post from BillyB below!!!

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Easy Off oven cleaner if they are on gelcoat.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
EZ- OFF. It can be used on paint also as long as your carefull and the paint job has clear on it.... Mask off around the #'s so as not to get the oven cleaner where you don't need it. I would try the EZ-OFF before colorsanding. You never know how much clear or color is on your boat and you don't want to break through. Never..And I mean NEVER use lacquer thinner / acetone on a paint job to remove #'s. This softens the paint and can ruin your paint job. Gelcoat yes. Paint NO!!!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EZ- OFF. It can be used on paint also as long as your carefull and the paint job has clear on it.... Mask off around the #'s so as not to get the oven cleaner where you don't need it. I would try the EZ-OFF before colorsanding. You never know how much clear or color is on your boat and you don't want to break through. Never..And I mean NEVER use lacquer thinner / acetone on a paint job to remove #'s. This softens the paint and can ruin your paint job. Gelcoat yes. Paint NO!!!!
...........................Thank you gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!! I will try the MASTER painters way!!! How long do I let it set on there????? and do I just wipe it off or will I need to scrape it???

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You are on your own on this one. Just try a tiny tiny area before you go and let ANYTHING soak!!!!!If it is the clear I use you could use laquer thinner.. Do you know who painted it with what paint? A scraper could dig into the paint and really screw it up. Chad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts