Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tabs Up Drives Out
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I might have a job offer in Chandler, Az. What is the boating scene like their. It looks like two options....... 1. Havasu/River 2. Roosevelt Reservoir. Any pros or cons living there? Never been west of San Antonio, Tx.
Thanks!
Jr.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I live in Tucson and frequent Apache lake. Great lake, lot of canyons for shade, water is pretty flat most of the day. Downside, road is awful, coming from phoenix probably 10 miles of washboard dirt. I come from the Globe side and camp at the first available site, only about a mile of so of dirt. Roosevelt lake is big, lot if camping available but the scrub brush provides no shade and seems hotter there. Pleasant and canyon lake both have easy access and are nice lakes. I really like the big river but it's too far for me to go regularly, maybe once a year, if that. Long story short, from Phoenix, plenty of acceptable lakes for boating but nothing like the river.

·
Tabs Up Drives Out
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info guys! Thanks! Any info on the greater Phoenix area? Where to go, were to stay away?

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Hey Guys,
I might have a job offer in Chandler, Az. What is the boating scene like their. It looks like two options....... 1. Havasu/River 2. Roosevelt Reservoir. Any pros or cons living there? Never been west of San Antonio, Tx.
Thanks!
Jr.

the Yuma area is a 3hr drive from Phoenix and it kind of sucks down there, so I'd recommend Big River and the other places off the 10 Freeway headed West from Phoenix.

glad to be of assistance ... :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've lived in the PHX area for 8 years now, originally from San Diego. Been going to the river my whole life., still do. The local lakes are good for day use or beach camping. We prefer the nicer trailer park with hook ups in the summer. We leave our trailer at McIntyre in the summer and the sand dunes in the winter. We bring the boat home and plan on day trips to the lakes. Just got our own boat so we don't have to rely on others for a ride. We have done Apache with friends, its a nice lake not too busy in summer. But getting a big travel trailer there would suck. Some friends love doing the beach camping thing at Barttlet. Trying out Roosevelt in a couple of weeks.

From where we live in Queen Creek its
3.5 hrs to river in Blythe
40 minutes to Saugro Lake
1hr 10mins to Roosevelt
2 hrs to Apache

if your job is in Chandler stay in the east valley. If you have a wife and kids and can swing it do Gilbert. If your single, Tempe or Scottsdale. The commute from Scottsdale is kinda long.

remember its a dry heat and you will get used to it.

·
Tabs Up Drives Out
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the input! Should be flying out in two weeks with the wife and kid. I am really excited to check out the area and enjoy the 100 plus degree weather!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
the Yuma area is a 3hr drive from Phoenix and it kind of sucks down there, so I'd recommend Big River and the other places off the 10 Freeway headed West from Phoenix.

glad to be of assistance ... :)
No you got it all wrong. Its Big River that sucks. Lots of rocks and rollbar boats. Yuma is the place to be. Nice sand everywhere you go and no cops!:wink2:

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
There are only slow boats in AZ. All the fast boats are in CA (and boat on the CA side).

Some local lakes to go to. Nice boats. Only 3 hrs from the river. Good place for boating. Long boating season too.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Lake Pleasant - Inaccurately named. Should be Lake Unpleasant, Lake Shakeurshitup, Lake Bigwake, etc. etc. It's a short drive but almost always rough. Really rare to catch a calm day. Lots of big boats and a rock shore line that kicks waves at you from all angles. Beach access for most the year.

Bartlett Lake - My personal favorite of the valley lakes. It's medium size with moderate boat traffic. You'll get beat up mid-day, but it's pretty good in the morning and at night. Great place to work on setup as you can usually leave your boat in or near the water and have your truck and tools right there especially on a weekday. Beach access.

Saguaro Lake - Small, busy and rough usually. Great party beach but about a 25 minute idle into it. Not fun with open headers and big cams. No beach access typically and if it's busy you get to hike up and down a mountain (vertical parking for your truck and trailer).

Apache Lake - In a word...........awesome (well....pretty damned awesome anyway). Bitch getting in and out of on 12 miles of dirt road, but real nice when you're there. Not as rough as some of the others, but can get stirred up sometimes. Taking a run up the canyon towards Roosevelt/Apache dam is always fun. Close to beach access

Canyon Lake - Tiny but picturesque. Worth a trip just for the scenery if nothing else. Very small and at times busy. When you're running up the lake it feels more like a river than a lake. Narrow canyon gorge with vertical walls. Close to beach access

Roosevelt Lake - Big and not as much boat traffic as some of the others get. Can be glass smooth one minute and sink your boat the next (ask me how I know)...........on second thought don't. It's not a fond memory. Very nice beaches depending on how much water is in it.

All these lakes are dependent on snowfall except Pleasant so if we don't get no snow, you don't get no water. Pleasant is canal fed and they can turn it on and off like a faucet.

These are just some of my personal thoughts about our local lakes. Others opinions may vary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts