Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
almost done with the 509, just gotta buy springs and retainers for the AFR
305's w/CNC chambers. my head guy wants me to use the beehives-he has been using them on his circle track customers engines (and that customer happens to be track champ in first place again this season)
just wondering what the general thought is on them in a marine app. I know that I will not be gaining any RPM as in a car app. and the cam I'm
running isn't huge-ULTRADYNE hyd. roller .601/.601 236/[email protected] on a
114* for the whipple- just poking around for some creative insight;) I'm
just used to doubles/tripples w/10* retainers, and looking at this beehive
stuff w/a single spring and those tiny little retainers(lightweight) have got
my oldschool thinking saying no way in the back of my head!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
The circle track guys have class rules and inspectors. Your only rule should be: What's the most you can spend on performance and reliability without ending up in the dog house. I'd go doubles with better retainers. They don't cost that much.

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
I agree with Rivernut.
Circle track guys also run small blocks. I would think that a small Hyd roller wouldn't require much of a valve spring. Inners and outers and your done........

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I was planning on running them on my 496HO, since the weak stockers don't control the valves very well. I like the beehive idea for multi-purpose marine use, as it "lightens" the valvetrain. Anything one can do to lighten valvetrain that spins 4000 rpm or more ALL THE TIME, is always good.

Then I learned I would have to pull the heads and cut them for poly seals. I still may run them in the future, as I have an extra set of heads that I could have prepped and then just swap them. It just doesn't have enough hours on it yet to justify the work.

Back to the springs. They just make sense for almost any application other than all-out, max-effort. They have control at the bottom and the small top takes weight away from the top of the valve. So, the engine thinks it has lighter valves and/or springs but still has plenty of control.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Funny about Danny being agaisnt them. They worked with Eibach and some Japanese steel company to develop a spring that was the fore father to the beehive. It had ovate wire, and a slight taper bottom to top. Why to expensive to produce and I believe they dropped the program. It was different in taht the taper was much less and as I rememeber it used a stock sized 1.25 sbc retainer an a 1.50/1.55 spring. You could hardly see the taoer unless the spring was sitting on end and you had a T square up against it. It was also a dual spring with no damper and the inner spring had to follow the same taper. As I remember, Eibach also brought J.E. as a distributer, and that didn't sit well with Crower. Can't blame him. He did all the development and spintron testing, and JE gets a distributership for doing nothing. There still is a Crower/Eibach valve spring. But only for imports and its a different deal. I think its the same ovate material from the Japanese company.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
879 Posts
One thing to consider with the beehive is that if it breaks there is nothing left there to hold the valve in place. If you use a soft double spring there is some insurance there. We have run some on endurnce motors and they break on occasion.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I would have to say they have their place, but I don't believe it's on a blown, roller cam'd big block marine engine.

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that was kinda my thinking-just wanted to throw it out there and see what I got:p nice set of duals w/dampners, and some 10* chrome moly
retainers it is! (I'd run titainiums, but they aren't exactly an endurance item either, and I don't plan on the same maintenance sch. as the last
blown solid roller motor) thanks for the imput guys:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts