Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but I couldn't find anything with a search that nailed it down for me. :)sphss The question is: When are 'marine' rated parts (carb, ignition, ect) required? The answer seems obvious but some have stated that you only need them with enclosed motors. Smokin Lowrider dropped some great quotes from the regs (if you could post those again it would be awesome) that back up the enclosed engine theory. But there seems to be some exceptions in them that don't quite fit. Bottom line........do I need to pony up for the 'marine' grade parts or not?

·
1976 Sanger Flattie
296 Posts
You should always have marine parts on a marine vessel. There are functional, saftey, and corrosion related differences from automotive to marine. A lot of people use automotive stuff, but that doesn't make it right.....the coast gaurd is the one you have real trouble with as well.

·
Inland Empire-Big River
807 Posts
You should always have marine parts on a marine vessel. There are functional, saftey, and corrosion related differences from automotive to marine. A lot of people use automotive stuff, but that doesn't make it right.....the coast gaurd is the one you have real trouble with as well.

Insurance is another reason. They love to hear they got out of a claim because you didnt have marine approved equipment.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Dictionary says this:

Marine / meren {fr. L marinus 1: of or relating to the sea 2: automovie parts, with less than $5.00 worth of modification done to them, and sold for twice the price....often used by jetboaters with covered engines. ;)

HOnestly, i dont' have the expertise to post logically on this, but i do know i try to run them whenever i can because my engine compartment occasionally smells like fuel if i over fill my tanks, and it's more peace of mind i guess. I remember when my alternator took a dump, this electrical guy i went to converted a regular Delco alternator to a marine one for me for about 10 bucks more..Has a screen on it and a couple of other things..but it's absurd the price other places charge. J tubes on a carburator should not equal 100.00 extra bucks! LOL ( i know that's not all they do to them, i'm just being a smartass)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
the next time ur out on the lake or river, do a survey & see how many people are running marine hardware???...i'll bet its 80% that are not!

i do believe that closed eng compartments should have marine hardware cause of the possible fire hazzard, but, come on people, in an open eng comp. ...lets be real!!!...the CG doesnt have the time or manpower to check every boat & if ur a good guy/gal, ur never gonna get hasseled!, except in Calif where ur "always" hasseled!!!:D

GO do the survey...i would be curious to read ur findings!!!!

FastRat

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
The survey would be interesting, and, at the same time, pointless.

Since 80% (minimum) of drivers violate the speed limit on ANY given street/roadway, then said rules are ignorable.

Ok, fine.

I'm a lazy bastard, so here's the entire USCG Boatbuilder's Handbook
That's the abreviated version of the full regs.

It contains:
Part 1 — Regulations and Other Information
Part 2 — Safety Circulars #64, an excerpt from #83, and #81 page 6
Part 3 — Consumer Fact Sheets

Compliance Guidelines:

Subpart I — Electrical Systems
Subpart J — Fuel Systems
Subpart K — Ventilation
Subpart C — Safe Loading & Subpart B — Display of Capacity Information
Subpart F, Subpart G & Subpart H — Flotation Requirements

Interestingly, every jet boat in here, with the exception of a "race-boat" (which 95% would fail that definition I believe), are also REQUIRED to possess basic floatation, and, from the number of pictures of non-race-boats I have seen sitting underwater at a beach, FULLY SUNK, your same 80% of people ignore THIS regulation too.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Race boat: Any vessel which is manufactured soley for use in sanctioned racing events, and is not intended for use as a recreational boat.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
everything on my motor is automotive i guess depens on your application.
Some of it does, and some of it, does not.

There is no requirement for a powered bilge ventilator, for an open engine compartment.

There IS a requirement for what you are allowed to run for fuel lines from the tank to the engine, flexible or rigid.
ON the engine, no.
Uncovered OR covered engine.

You just have to read the regs too see what does.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
everything on my motor is automotive i guess depens on your application.
And my Taylor came from the Cushing Okla factory with an automotive 4150 Holley on it.
Not a J-tube in sight.

Doesn't make it right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts