Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in what's normally considered a really safe and secure neighborhood. Well, my wife's car got broken into last night. Son of a bitch had to walk all the way up our driveway too. That takes balls. Called the sheriff to come take a report and they informed us there has been an increase in burlaries and break-ins. The deputy said ever since the economy has tanked, they've seen more and more of it in our area and in general. The deputy said there's been an average of one car break in per day. That's unheard of for this neighborhood. Sign of the financial times for sure.

Anyway, any recommendations on a camera system?
Don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars, but need something sufficient enough to monitor the driveway area. Thanks.

·
Junior Camper
58 Posts
It sucks bad to have your car broken into. Makes you wanna hide in the bushes with a baseball bat all night until the SOB comes back!I know LA sheriff Lee Baca (sp) expected crime to be on the rise in 2009 due to the bad economy but it still continues to fall in LA as well as OC and other large Cali cities. At least I read that not too long ago.

I walked through the servailence camera isle at Fry's the other day. There are all kinds of systems available starting at less than 10 bucks. I looked at one that had inferred night vision that you can monitor remotely from any PC. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If your going to do a camera it needs to be all or nothing. A guy we build some commercial properties for did some half ass cameras and they had a guy on video stealing some stuff. His truck was backed in, right up to the camera and they couldnt get a plate number. It is basically worthless because it is not clear, doesnt have good zoom functions etc. You can rob the place blind with all while camera and it doesnt matter.

·
Temporarily Pacified!
5,554 Posts
GB, the bigger criminals took office recently and are stealing our money and our country cause a bunch of brain dead people voted for these idiots and don't want to hold him accountable!:|err

Sorry for your loss.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
GB, the bigger criminals took office recently and are stealing our money and our country cause a bunch of brain dead people voted for these idiots and don't want to hold him accountable!:|err

Sorry for your loss.
Now Donzi, you KNOW the only thing they ever finally got to stick on Chicago's own Scarface Alphonse Gabriel Capone was ..... yep, ,,,, Treasury Secretary Geitner knows this one (and 10 other cabinet apointees),,,,, Tax Evasion, and violating the Volstead Act.;)
Never could prove the loan sharking, prostitution, bootlegging, racketeering, book-making, or even murder(s) on him.:p
He was a simple used furniture dealer (with a roaring case of Syphilis).:D

We have the "most honest and transparent administration EVER" in DC now, just as we were promised. :D
'Course, it HAS named both of us as "Potential Domestic Terrorists or Domestic Terrorist Trainers" tho.:)hand

Gravyboat, as noted above, at least pay middle-of-the-road for good cameras, $10 el-cheapo will likely not give any useful information if it does see something, lousy clarity and detail in the views, but I really doubt absolute top $ needs to be spent either.:)bulb
Good luck to ya GB, sorry to hear ya getting hit.
Also, I have seen driveway entry sensors, IR beam I suspect, might be useful at least if it goes off while you are at home.

Saw a vid the other night where a woman had been burglurized, she then installed cameras, and happened to be checking them on computer from work, when she SAW the 2 teens crawl through the dog door on camera, and called cops while watching the whole deal unfold, including the cops arrival.

·
About 500' AGL
2,471 Posts
We live in what's normally considered a really safe and secure neighborhood. Well, my wife's car got broken into last night. Son of a bitch had to walk all the way up our driveway too. That takes balls. Called the sheriff to come take a report and they informed us there has been an increase in burlaries and break-ins. The deputy said ever since the economy has tanked, they've seen more and more of it in our area and in general. The deputy said there's been an average of one car break in per day. That's unheard of for this neighborhood. Sign of the financial times for sure.

Don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars, but need something sufficient enough to monitor the driveway area. Thanks.

Just curious...what if anything was stolen from the car and where were the items located in the car????

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Saw a vid the other night where a woman had been burglurized, she then installed cameras, and happened to be checking them on computer from work, when she SAW the 2 teens crawl through the dog door on camera, and called cops while watching the whole deal unfold, including the cops arrival.
Now that would have me acting like Tony Stewart before he got his swagger from Old Spice. :D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Now that would have me acting like Tony Stewart before he got his swagger from Old Spice. :D
I love "The Smoking Gun Presents" on Tru TV. :D

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts

What neighborhood do you live in? I had the same problem so put in 2 cams. Worked so well now I have 15 all around my yard. ( big place) I run mine off my computer using the hard drive to record movements. Cought one guy robbing my truck. I can view my house from anyplace in the world from my laptop.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I agree with all or nothing. A camera isn't worth sh*t if it can only catch motion and give you a blurred image of a person. If you want the system to be effective it needs to catch a very clear image that can easily be viewed and will provide high resolution.

As is the cops aren't going to spend much time investigating a case that that will result in a small theft charge. If you can give them a good quality image they can run against their image database it will help but still doesn't guarantee they will find the culprit.

the cameras by themselves are a good deterrent. I thief is going to most likely avoid stealing from a place if they can see cameras in view. In the event that they do still continue to steal things it is important to make sure the video recorded is going tog ive the cops a very clear image of the thief.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Costco has some pretty decent deals on complete kits. Most have dvr's and are internet monitorable.
Looking at the costco website right now. That internet feature is pretty damn cool. Even better is getting text alerts when motion is detected.

It sucks bad to have your car broken into. Makes you wanna hide in the bushes with a baseball bat all night until the SOB comes
Tell me about it. It's a chitty feeling knowing your vehicles aren't even safe in your own driveway. Just don't want them to come back and try to get in the house. However, if that happens, I got some scatter gun for em.
I walked through the servailence camera isle at Fry's the other day. There are all kinds of systems available starting at less than 10 bucks. I looked at one that had inferred night vision that you can monitor remotely from any PC. Pretty cool.
I'm willing to spend more than than 10 bucks. I'm not that cheap. ;)
If your going to do a camera it needs to be all or nothing. A guy we build some commercial properties for did some half ass cameras and they had a guy on video stealing some stuff. His truck was backed in, right up to the camera and they couldnt get a plate number. It is basically worthless because it is not clear, doesnt have good zoom functions etc. You can rob the place blind with all while camera and it doesnt matter.
That's what I'm discovering. Been researching different systems all afternoon. $500-600 seems to be the norm for a decent, 4 cam set up, dedicated HDD with software and internet connectivity. Low light visibility-which where you need it most-is the weak point it seems in most of these outdoor cams.

Sorry for your loss.
You know what they say Donzi....take care of home first, everything else will follow.

Also, I have seen driveway entry sensors, IR beam I suspect, might be useful at least if it goes off while you are at home.
I'm looking into those too.
Just saw that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNtTX_VaEzk
Just curious...what if anything was stolen from the car and where were the items located in the car????
Everything in the front part of the car. GPS, misc. papers, pictures, a lot of personal info., she had just recently changed depts. and cleaned out her desk so there were a lot pictures and documents all together in one box. They also took her security card that she uses to access the building where she works.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What neighborhood do you live in? I had the same problem so put in 2 cams. Worked so well now I have 15 all around my yard. ( big place) I run mine off my computer using the hard drive to record movements. Cought one guy robbing my truck. I can view my house from anyplace in the world from my laptop.
Seal Beach/Rossmoor area.

Yeah the technology and image quality has drastically improved. Amazingly affordable too. I remember when it would cost quite a few G's to have a good reliable system. Way more than I was ever willing to pay.

·
About 500' AGL
2,471 Posts
Everything in the front part of the car. GPS, misc. papers, pictures, a lot of personal info., she had just recently changed depts. and cleaned out her desk so there were a lot pictures and documents all together in one box. They also took her security card that she uses to access the building where she works.
And there you have it;).........I've said it before and I'll say it again. 99.9% of the time these vehicle burglaries are the result of items left out in plain view for the crooks to see and ultimatley take. Of the 100's of vehicle burglaries I have investigated they all had one thing in common.....valuables left in plain view. GPS, Cell Phone, I-Pod, Lap Top computer cases, Purses, Backpacks, Sunglasses....etc...etc...etc....

If a crook wants something bad enough they are going to take it. The only thing you can do is make it as difficult as possible and uninviting for them to do so. They are looking for a quick score and don't want to get caught. They look in vehicle windows and if they don't see anything...they move on to the next vehicle that has the GPS hanging from the windshield or the I-Pod sitting on the center console. They are in and out of the car in seconds and hard to catch. Roll up your windows, lock your doors and keep your stuff out of sight. Just some friendly advice. :) I'd still install a High Quality Video System....those things are invaluable to helping the police catch these assholes.

·
Will work for Boat
790 Posts
Seal Beach/Rossmoor area.
I'm close to you, in Belmont Shore.

Petty theft and other crime is WAY up. Got a few fliers on my doorstop from the LBPD, telling everyone to keep anything of value out of sight. And not just in your car - but also on patios, etc.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
And there you have it;).........I've said it before and I'll say it again. 99.9% of the time these vehicle burglaries are the result of items left out in plain view for the crooks to see and ultimatley take. Of the 100's of vehicle burglaries I have investigated they all had one thing in common.....valuables left in plain view. GPS, Cell Phone, I-Pod, Lap Top computer cases, Purses, Backpacks, Sunglasses....etc...etc...etc....

If a crook wants something bad enough they are going to take it. The only thing you can do is make it as difficult as possible and uninviting for them to do so. They are looking for a quick score and don't want to get caught. They look in vehicle windows and if they don't see anything...they move on to the next vehicle that has the GPS hanging from the windshield or the I-Pod sitting on the center console. They are in and out of the car in seconds and hard to catch. Roll up your windows, lock your doors and keep your stuff out of sight. Just some friendly advice. :) I'd still install a High Quality Video System....those things are invaluable to helping the police catch these assholes.
Yeqpper, 100%.

People just don't steal stuff they don't know about.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Nothing was in plain sight really. The main things were up front. GPS and the blue tooth speaker were in the center console and the the box full of stuff was covered up. There were other misc. things, like an empty, purse, a pair of shoes, a blanket and dryer vent tube assembly that was worth all of $15 in the trunk.
A blanket, they took a blanket:)sphss
I didn't mention the trunk lid was wide open when we found out, so they didn't limit their rummaging to only front part. Also, the fact my driveway is about 80' deep, you'd think that might deter them from coming all the way onto the property. Guess not. That pisses me off even more. Thanks for the advise.

I'm close to you, in Belmont Shore.

Petty theft and other crime is WAY up. Got a few fliers on my doorstop from the LBPD, telling everyone to keep anything of value out of sight. And not just in your car - but also on patios, etc.
I lived in the shore for 6 years. Never had a thing stolen. The cop told me that garage/yard sales tend bring out the riff raff who then scope out potential targets.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Just wait until the estimated 27,000 prisoners get let out early in CA due to budget and overcrowding..........

Just sayin.....

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wait until the estimated 27,000 prisoners get let out early in CA due to budget and overcrowding..........

Just sayin.....
Yep.

Probably was just being paranoid but had to call the cops again last night. I stepped out for a while, wife calls me and says there's a bunch of suspicious looking guys congregating around the house/driveway area. within about 3 minutes, two units rolled up. Now that's response.:)devil Kinda nice knowing that they're that close by.

NOW, I'm throwing around the idea of an ADT alarm AND a video system. Cover all the bases.

I still think as the economy dips and unemployment rises, we'll be seeing even more theft. When it goes from petty to home invasions, is what I'm concerned with. Desperate people will do despetrate things. Certainly, releasing 27,000 prisioners isn't going to help.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Yep.

Probably was just being paranoid but had to call the cops again last night. I stepped out for a while, wife calls me and says there's a bunch of suspicious looking guys congregating around the house/driveway area. within about 3 minutes, two units rolled up. Now that's response.:)devil Kinda nice knowing that they're that close by.

NOW, I'm throwing around the idea of an ADT alarm AND a video system. Cover all the bases.

I still think as the economy dips and unemployment rises, we'll be seeing even more theft. When it goes from petty to home invasions, is what I'm concerned with. Desperate people will do despetrate things. Certainly, releasing 27,000 prisioners isn't going to help.

We have full blown ADT package, with a bunch of added stuff, Motions, and fully wired garage. Plus a X10 video system I did myself.
The video system is weak compared to whats available now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts