find my front drivers side light
tighten the starter nut
hook up and wire the new bilge pump
drain fuel...re-fuel
run some new vacuum lines
set the dizzy and fire

Some things not working so far...
horn
fuel pump for the front gas tank (just makes kind of a bang) - not a problem though because I just use that for the NOS
one of the fuel level gauges
the stereo amplifier...it turns on, but no sound
the ride plates...kind of puzzled on this one.

none of those things will keep me off the water

how are your projects coming!?

·
Banned
49 Posts
Replace the horn with a whistle.

Bang and fuel pump should not be used in the same sentence, but has produced various results.

Fuel gauge can be wired to monitor both tanks, but read one at a time through a properly wired switch.

No need for a stereo. The motor is music.

Ride plates? As in dual? This sounds odd.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need a lot of things to line up right this week...BUT if everything goes right, I am going to try to take the boat out on Friday after work to wallum lake in Douglas.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow. You are ahead of me. I took my engine to EFI logics today. He does not have an engine dyno but is a wizard at Accel DFI. Got my surge out and he is going to tune it better when I get it in the boat with a wideband. I should be ready in a week or so.
T.J.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and get this thing running...

Wife not working = no play money. I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hard to make these things go with no dough :(

TJS, I think you had a little more work to do than I did :) That thing is coming out so nice! I may have to talk to you at some point about a puke tank, but HOPING I don't need one.

Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and get this thing running...

Wife not working = no play money. I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hard to make these things go with no dough :(

TJS, I think you had a little more work to do than I did :) That thing is coming out so nice! I may have to talk to you at some point about a puke tank, but HOPING I don't need one.
No kidding! This thing also eats fuel at a rate akin to a F16...

Here is a puke tank I made for my previous boat, it was cobbled together from pieces I had lying around. Three internal baffles, two breathers on top, -12 fittings and lines.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No kidding! This thing also eats fuel at a rate akin to a F16...

Here is a puke tank I made for my previous boat, it was cobbled together from pieces I had lying around. Three internal baffles, two breathers on top, -12 fittings and lines.

What do you need to do to get out on the water?

·
Registered
197 Posts
What do you need to do to get out on the water?
Money...:D

Seriously though, I know that the transmission oil cooler has pushed the ends off due to freezing, the engine oil cooler has expanded for the same reason. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the engine it self. I will be fixing the trans cooler today.

This thing has been sitting outside, (I know but I had no choice), it was winterized but... It is covered in mould inside and around the engine bay, more of a slime really. The cav plate adjuster motor blew, the prop needs to be replaced as it appears to have corroded away????????

There are a number of fittings that need to be replaced because of corrosion and the lines cleaned out. One of the carb mount braces is broken, (I'll weld that this week). I need to add another bilge pump, the rudder packing leaks and is in need of replacement. I really should crack check the rudder as well, things get ugly when they shear off at speed.

This thing is 31 years old and looks every bit of it, it really was not maintained at all well prior to me getting it and unfortunately circumstances have dictated that I could not help it out like it needs.

But, it is a Schiada and should be on the water...I'll do my best and if successful I look forward to many tickets from the CLA and the DEP....mainly for noise I imagine, (114 Db at idle, in the drivers seat).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Transmission heat exchanger repaired and pressure tested, new fittings (one I had to make, -10 to 1/2 pipe).

Batteries procured.

Boat covered up again because of the ever present rain...:mad:

Today's plan is to load up on Simple Green and similar chemicals to attack the scum layer. Must also get something to remove the ant colony that has taken up residence as well. Need to source a pressure washer to rent at the weekend, this is going to take a lot to clean.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Transmission heat exchanger repaired and pressure tested, new fittings (one I had to make, -10 to 1/2 pipe).

Batteries procured.

Boat covered up again because of the ever present rain...:mad:

Today's plan is to load up on Simple Green and similar chemicals to attack the scum layer. Must also get something to remove the ant colony that has taken up residence as well. Need to source a pressure washer to rent at the weekend, this is going to take a lot to clean.
If you are going to rent...get a steam cleaner.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Couldn't find a steam cleaner so went with the pressure washer. Have loaded up with cleaners, degreasers, brake cleans etc but the damn rain stopped play again!

I actually had some maintenance to do on the family vehicles that needed to be done while I have a weekend off and of course that went South in a big hurry.

Did you know that there are transmissions out there that don't have a means to fill them with fluid in the conventional manner? Neither did I until I had drained the pan and converter...

Six hours and some McGuyvering later, covered in trans fluid, soaked to the skin, no feeling in my fingers I am finally showered and sitting on the sofa with a Cuba Libra...

I'll get up early on Fathers Day and attack the boat, I want to fire it tomorrow if possible, if not it will be Monday. I have 15 gallons of IMSA 100 fuel, 10 gallons of Sunonco 100 so I'm good for an initial fire up.

That and put some things back on and I'll be ready for the water, not in the condition that I would like but on the water none the less. I'm actually embarrassed by the state of it but beggars can't be choosers...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, she ran...

Alternator not charging, I'll have that looked at this week.

Changed oil, 16 quarts!

Need to weld one of the carb mounting brackets, tomorrow.

Cleaned up, might buff it later this week as well.

Trip to the DMV coming up for registration.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, she ran...

Alternator not charging, I'll have that looked at this week.

Changed oil, 16 quarts!

Need to weld one of the carb mounting brackets, tomorrow.

Cleaned up, might buff it later this week as well.

Trip to the DMV coming up for registration.
NICE!

I mean...sucks that you have to go to the DMV...but still :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Before.

The picture does not do it justice though, this thing was NASTY! A good day with the Autosol will do wonders now that the crap is cleaned up. This morning I drop the alternator off to be repaired, DMV at lunchtime....I know, I know...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts