Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Was wondering if there were any old timers here that remember a place called the River Galley accross from discovery point on the Sacramento River?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Although I never went in the place I did watch it trying to sink more than once from our slip at the end of A dock at Riverbank (Chevy's).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although I never went in the place I did watch it trying to sink more than once from our slip at the end of A dock at Riverbank (Chevy's).

Was Chevy's downriver from there? Where they had the old boat yard and boat lift?

Or was Chevy's accross river and it used to be a baby blue color?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Was Chevy's downriver from there? Where they had the old boat yard and boat lift?

Or was Chevy's accross river and it used to be a baby blue color?
Chevy's resturant at the Riverank marina is across and just up river from the old River Galley.

Years ago I talked to Bob Taylor (?) from Assosiated Divers that used to do salvage on the river and he told me some crazy stories about when the Galley would sink and sit on the bottom they would tunnel thru the soft riverbottom under the sunk barge to pull cables under it to use in lifting it etc. I saw his son (from the dock) once do the same tunneling under a 44' that had sunk at our marina to get straps under it He used supplied air lines to a face mask only. Freaky job if you ask me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chevy's resturant at the Riverank marina is across and just up river from the old River Galley.

Years ago I talked to Bob Taylor (?) from Assosiated Divers that used to do salvage on the river and he told me some crazy stories about when the Galley would sink and sit on the bottom they would tunnel thru the soft riverbottom under the sunk barge to pull cables under it to use in lifting it etc. I saw his son (from the dock) once do the same tunneling under a 44' that had sunk at our marina to get straps under it He used supplied air lines to a face mask only. Freaky job if you ask me.

WOW, some great stories my friend, I went with Bob and his son one time to salvage a sailboat that was downriver at a marina that was a couple of miles downriver from the locks. It was about a 30' and he inflated some air bags and brought it to the surface and pumped it out, it was a pretty cool experience.

Well, my dad was a co-owner of the River Galley and I remember a couple of times the barge took on water and sat on the river bottom and it had to be repaired. It was crazy to see some of the stuff that went on to fix that old barge.

Well, I pulled the satellite pics of the river now and there's no sign of any of the old marinas that used to be on that side of the river. There were some pretty cool marinas on that side of the river and if you're old enough you might even remember *Captain Jim* that had the old pirate boat complete with goats that used to be anchored accross from Crawdads and The Virgin Sturgeon.

Back in the 80's there was alot going on , on the river, it seems bare now, just from the pics I've seen.

Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Didn't Skipper Stu (Stu Naham) or Captain Sacto (Harry Martin) have something to do with that place? OR am I dating myself TOO far out? :D ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't Skipper Stu (Stu Naham) or Captain Sacto (Harry Martin) have something to do with that place? OR am I dating myself TOO far out? :D ;)
Man, never heard of either of those guys, but if you remember Billy Stack , "The Singing Bartender" he used to tour with Willie Nelson and open for him. There quite a few charactors that were regulars there as well.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Man, never heard of either of those guys, but if you remember Billy Stack , "The Singing Bartender" he used to tour with Willie Nelson and open for him. There quite a few charactors that were regulars there as well.
Then you are too young. LMAO!!! I've been to a many of Willie's gigs, not to mention some of the other greats!! Been to Gilley's in Texas, Mickey is really a nice guy. Met and ran with Loretta's Lynn's bus and her group, Merl Hagar, Credence Clearwater Revival, Charlie Pride, and the list goes on. Driving big rig across the southern states made for meeting some nice people. Almost forgot one of my favorites, Mel Tillis.

Anyway, Stu and Harry got their start in Sacramento doing kid's cartoon shows and then went on to become some of the greats. Harry Martin ended up doing the News and owned the Firehouse in Old Sac. Stu went on to be a sports announcer for ABC Sports and also did a few movies. Just some of Sacramento's history when TV was still very young.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then you are too young. LMAO!!! I've been to a many of Willie's gigs, not to mention some of the other greats!! Been to Gilley's in Texas, Mickey is really a nice guy. Met and ran with Loretta's Lynn's bus and her group, Merl Hagar, Credence Clearwater Revival, Charlie Pride, and the list goes on. Driving big rig across the southern states made for meeting some nice people. Almost forgot one of my favorites, Mel Tillis.

Anyway, Stu and Harry got their start in Sacramento doing kid's cartoon shows and then went on to become some of the greats. Harry Martin ended up doing the News and owned the Firehouse in Old Sac. Stu went on to be a sports announcer for ABC Sports and also did a few movies. Just some of Sacramento's history when TV was still very young.
Man, I bet you could go on all weekend telling stories about that group of singers and life on the road. That's pretty awesome. I'm in Oklahoma now, since 92', but man I miss Sac Town. The only thing better about OK than CA is the price of gas!!

Take care.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Man, I bet you could go on all weekend telling stories about that group of singers and life on the road. That's pretty awesome. I'm in Oklahoma now, since 92', but man I miss Sac Town. The only thing better about OK than CA is the price of gas!!

Take care.
The girls are fast and loose there and you know they didn't have a connection with San Francisco. LOL I've had a lot of fun in OK. and would love to be there or Texas, or even Missouri. Just come on back to visit some time. I've got an old '75 Miller jet boat and we can run the river and stop in and have a few along the way.

By the way, it would take a lot longer than a week-end to tell the TRUE stories I can tell about life on the road. Very fond memories there. The kind you can take to your grave and smile about.

We should meet one day. If I can get my wife out and able to take the trip, I can be in OKC in about 30 hours. ;) I forgot to mention, I drove truck for Tom Innman out of Broken Arrow, OK for a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
As a matter of fact I did score and scored again and again(that girl is now my wife of 20years and been together since 1982)
Congrats on the 20 years. My present wife and I have been together for 12 years and it looks like we are stuck with each other... I mean that in a GOOD way too!! ;)

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Wow, small world, that's where we live, 101st and Elm!!! It's changed a bunch over the past few years, I'm sure you would be suprised.

Have a good one my friend...
Hell I may not even know the place any more. The Innman's had 2 trucking companies, Toms was for freight and refer products and Jerry hauled livestock.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I remember the RG in the early to mid eighties
I remember boating and watching them build the docks at Crawdads
Had some hardcore skiing buddies back then that would agree to pitch in for the $70.00 fine for barefooting on the American all the way to Paradise beach
those were the days,some of you might remember this A-hole in a green/silver stripe 18' Sidewinder with 200HP black Max Merc:p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts