Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install an oil temp senser on a 460. wheres a good place thats gonna get a good reading . theres a port beside the fuel pump block off plate. I'm thinkin good flow being close to filter

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Oil pan.

If not oil pan you could always try placing a temp probe in an accecesory port of a remote oil filter mount:

the port on the top of this Moroso unit

S CP :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're suppose to remove the plug and do it on a bench. Just a guess:)sphss
why you gotta be like that? I think you need a hug! I thought i would try drilling & tapping thru the bottom of the hull.
the huge 90 degree fitting on my basset pan just clears the hull. I don't think it will unthread without lifting the motor. therefore the question about the port that i can get to with ese,which (i think ) would be similar to being on the remote filter.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
therefore the question about the port that i can get to with ese,which (i think ) would be similar to being on the remote filter.
I'm thinking you might disrupt the oil path( flow) if you use that port at the front of the engine. :)Unsure

S CP

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think mine is down by the fuel pump have a tube that comes out so the sending unit clears. I will get a picture tomorrow afternoon. Its dark now.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you think that will be accurate. that was my concern . i didn't think it would be accurate due to the lack of flow. that would sure be easy

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well guess your the pros, ive never had a problem, works fine. If you want a pic ill be happy to post one.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Whats it worth to you if this works in your pan and gauge? Should I tell you now where to send the money, or can I trust you to PM me when it works?
LINK: drain plug sensor
Ahhhh GN, you spoiled all the fun!!!! lol :)...i personally use a mech gage with the probe screwed into the side of the pan drain plug hole (2 outlets) & mount the gage on top of the manifold...besides...whats too hot? & what are you going to do about it? :)

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Ahhhh GN, you spoiled all the fun!!!! lol :)...i personally use a mech gage with the probe screwed into the side of the pan drain plug hole (2 outlets) & mount the gage on top of the manifold...besides...whats too hot? & what are you going to do about it? :)
Same here...mechanical only.

S CP

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Ah you guys are so 20th Century. Suppose you still use an hand crank adding machine too. Or maybe an abacus?

Settable warning lite, internal switch for external light, peak memory. Besides, my data acquistion can't read a mechanical gauge.

I took the simple route Bob. I welded a bung into the pan and installed a Pete's plug then used a thermometer from my fish cooker. I can see it from the drivers seat. Works perfectly :happy:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts