Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want ..NEH..need ...to get more HP out of this 468 or I'm gonna be forced to look for another engine. It's a 750 HP 14:1 468 that was running 6300 rpm with a AB cut SS imp. I got a great deal on an AAA SS yesterday and lost 410 RPM. I obviously need more power to spin this thing quicker.

So... for you engine guru's what do you need to know to be able to give me some idea of what my options are. What HP do I need to get this thing back up around the 6100 - 6300 range?

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
You have the squeeze. . .what are you using to inhale air and fuel and exhale with? In other words what heads/intake/carb/camshaft and then what exhaust?

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have the squeeze. . .what are you using to inhale air and fuel and exhale with? In other words what heads/intake/carb/camshaft and then what exhaust?
I can't locate the build sheet on the engine but will see if I can get a duplicate ..Valves are Manley W/3 angle grind and Jesel valve train. Dart Tunnel Ram intake with 2 x 850 CFM Holley DP's . Brodix BB2xtra Heads. Cam card is also missing but it's a Crower. Basset dry headers for exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Well you have the pieces to make good power. Will need the cam card now knowing the heads.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you have the pieces to make good power. Will need the cam card now knowing the heads.
All I have is an itemized list of components no freakin specs. I still need to jet the carbs for my altitude as they were set for sea level and I'm at 2800 ft +/- . Where do I find a holley sheet for altitude and jetting requirements if there is such a thing.

Here's a component list for this thing. I believe he had upwards of 40K into this motor and it is near bullet proof as it sits. It has about 20 hours on it right now.
Bowtie Block.
Eagle Crank
BRC Rods
JE Pistons
Donavan Gear Drive
Brodix BB2xtra Heads/EPD professionally flowed
Manley Valves
Jesel valve train
Valve covers with oilers
Crower Cam and Lifters
Dart Tunnel Ram
Dual 850 cfm holleys with scoop
MSD ignition Marine 7AL
Basset Headers w/shotguns
Tilton Starter
High Volumes C-N-S Manual Fuel Pump
Oil Cooled
Peterson Dry Sump Tank
Weaver Oil Pump

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
How old is this engine? I haven't seen EPD in years. Best bet is to pull the gear drive cover and get the serial number off the cam and see what you have. Also being a set of EPD Brodix their is no telling what kind of work those heads have had done. .rolled valve angles, port shaping and such so I would pull them and get them checked and flowed.

Get this info then we can get you some options.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How old is this engine? I haven't seen EPD in years. Best bet is to pull the gear drive cover and get the serial number off the cam and see what you have. Also being a set of EPD Brodix their is no telling what kind of work those heads have had done. .rolled valve angles, port shaping and such so I would pull them and get them checked and flowed.

Get this info then we can get you some options.

Thanks man, If I can't get a hold of a build sheet, cam card and the flow info on the heads chicken Louis..I'll do just that.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
496" Stocker kit with the correct cam should get you there. :)devil

S CP :D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Do you have a budget yet, and do you just want to start from scratch so you have a spare engine ?

If you're going to start from scratch? I know there are a couple of guys here who would love to build you an engine, I know a couple who don't post here either.

If you're looking at a new engine and use your old one as a spare it would be very very hard if not next to impossible to beat the prices and quality of work from these guys and they'll build anything to you spec's:

http://www.rehermorrison.com/superSeries/EngineSelection.htm

Check out the 540's and the price.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a budget yet, and do you just want to start from scratch so you have a spare engine ?

If you're going to start from scratch? I know there are a couple of guys here who would love to build you an engine, I know a couple who don't post here either.

If you're looking at a new engine and use your old one as a spare it would be very very hard if not next to impossible to beat the prices and quality of work from these guys and they'll build anything to you spec's:

http://www.rehermorrison.com/superSeries/EngineSelection.htm

Check out the 540's and the price.

This gives me wood

http://www.rehermorrison.com/superSeries/540.htm

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Just curious as to why you switched impellors? Its going to take alot more power to spin an AAA 62-6300 rpm's.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Just curious as to why you switched impellors? Its going to take alot more power to spin an AAA 62-6300 rpm's.
I agree here, and with Fiat...IMO you went the wrong way with the impeller. That Dart TR is probably hurting you below 6000, and you're moving away from where that engine is probably making power. Throw a race prepped B in there and see what happens...get that enging up over 6500. My guess is it'll wake right up.
If you want to pull that AAA on all engine, cubic inches will be your best friend, like 600 of them...;)
If you want to stay with the block you have, you might be able to go to 4.500 bore (not sure which block it is) and at that you can do a nice 540, or stuff a 4 3/8 arm in it for a 556. Then you're talking all new top end (except the Dart...it'll be ideal for that) but plenty of power on tap. Add a little spray and you're stylin with that AAA. 6300 should be right near 1K hp.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Impeller was beat to tears. leading edge was in need of repair and it had cracks along the blades both on the inside and out. It had been repaired many times already and it was time for a new one, and... I got a new precision AAA for 1000 bucks. I can always cut it back if I'm not happy with the performance ..or.. build another motor.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Impeller was beat to tears. leading edge was in need of repair and it had cracks along the blades both on the inside and out. It had been repaired many times already and it was time for a new one, and... I got a new precision AAA for 1000 bucks. I can always cut it back if I'm not happy with the performance ..or.. build another motor.
1000 for a impellor, ouchhhh:)sphss need to shop around lil more:D i agree with everyone else, cut that impellor down till you're at peak rpm on the motor, or add nitrous:)grn:)devil

fyi, new amt ss impellor can be bought all day for less than 900;)

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree here, and with Fiat...IMO you went the wrong way with the impeller. That Dart TR is probably hurting you below 6000, and you're moving away from where that engine is probably making power. Throw a race prepped B in there and see what happens...get that enging up over 6500. My guess is it'll wake right up.
If you want to pull that AAA on all engine, cubic inches will be your best friend, like 600 of them...;)
If you want to stay with the block you have, you might be able to go to 4.500 (not sure which block it is) and at that you can do a nice 540, or stuff a 4 3/8 arm in it for a 556. Then you're talking all new top end (except the Dart...it'll be ideal for that) but plenty of power on tap. Add a little spray and you're stylin with that AAA. 6300 should be right near 1K hp.
This was the point of this thread...to get opinions of where to go with "this" motor to bring the HP up to the point where the AAA will spin at over 6K. I can obviously cut this imp back to the AB it was and turn 6300 like it did. I was more than happy with the 110 MPH it did before.

Point is ..it's time to step up this set up and as it required a new imp I got a wicked deal from probably the #1 boat builder and racer in the river racing industry, so I took it.

It just went in the water yesterday and went for one run. I still have to go buy a new GPS or take the risk of sounding like most of the people on boating sites and throw horseshit numbers out there in hopes that some fool will believe them. :p

With that said ... I'll get a consistent top speed and take it from there. If it's not feasible to up grade this motor for 5k or so...I'll build a 900 hp motor or buy one.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1000 for a impellor, ouchhhh:)sphss need to shop around lil more:D i agree with everyone else, cut that impellor down till you're at peak rpm on the motor, or add nitrous:)grn:)devil

fyi, new amt ss impellor can be bought all day for less than 900;)
Well ..according to probably the foremost expert in aluminum river boat racing in the world....yes world.. Owned out law eagle... it's a 2000 dollar impeller. So with that said ..I know I got a good deal on the thing. Nitrous is usless for me ..you can't buy a big enough bottle to last an hour :p

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Well ..according to probably the foremost expert in aluminum river boat racing in the world....yes world.. Owned out law eagle... it's a 2000 dollar impeller. So with that said ..I know I got a good deal on the thing. Nitrous is usless for me ..you can't buy a big enough bottle to last an hour :p
oops, sorry forgot you were into tin boats.

for the stuff you guys do, man you're crazy for not building some kinda sbc with twin turbos on it, cost 1/2 what that other motor would and have twice the getty up:)devil a nice blow thru carb on a 383 with a big intercooler, make 1100hp pretty easy:)grn and do it all the way down/up river:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts