Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a choice,18ft 1982 bobble deck Bohner Jet or a 1976 18ft bubble deck Eliminator Jet. Just wanted to no some pros and cons i might be buying a Bohner.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
All else equal(motor,paint,pump,cond.ect)...I'd go eliminator. Having said that I've never been in a banner(sp?), but I have been around a lot of eliminators. A couple that are still in the family from the 70's. Pics help..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try to post some pic's, I own a 76 Eliminator now and I'm looking to buy a Bahner really good price but i cant keep them both, The bhaner haul is in better shape and is a lighter set up from the looks of it, the pump is set back, The bahner has full length stringers very thin stringer? compared to my eliminators a lot of drag boats have the thiner stringers i have seen. Plans would be to sell one and keep the other and put my 850Hp BBF in the one I'm going to keep. The eliminator has a Delta pad and the bahner is a round keel, previously set up. ride plate and shoe. Love my Eliminator though. It is the pic in my aviator.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
If it were a 76-78 Bahner BBdeck, that would be the better performing hull IMO, It a very similar bottom as the Rogers 18' Bonneville.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I'd go eliminator because I know it is good. Also I think are more of a collector and will be more so over time.

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
Bahner hands down. The delta pad bottom on the Eliminator will limit your expectations with that kind of power.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bahner hands down. The delta pad bottom on the Eliminator will limit your expectations with that kind of power.
That's what i wanted to know I'm at the point were i want a wild river toy and i feel that the delta pad has been limiting the performance, and the weight of the boat. I will take pics of both boats and post them I'm picking the bahner up Monday or Tuesday. She needs some TLC but the Gel is in wonderful condition.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Didn't bahner as well as Elim. both have Delta pads Ross? Not too sure at the moment, But I have a buddy that has a elim style BBdeck bahner, and I wanna say it also has the delta, But im not 100%!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have had a few Bahner's (I know, I have a problem) they are very well built boats, the quality was several times better than their buisness practices. I have worked on many many Eliminators and to be quite honest, there really is not a lot of difference in the quality, to say one is "better" than another is pure opinion (IMHO).

The three Bahners' I had were all full stringer 19' bubbles I had a 1983 and two '85's one small block Chevy and two BBC's.

The name Eliminator carries with it more of a legacy, but that would be about the only area they beat out Bahner.

GT :)hand

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Bahner i'm buying is a 1982. Looking from the back the sides are more rounded not squared like the two shown above. Thanks for the pics!, it is a rounded keel where the Elm.is a Delta pad. The Bahner looks like a lighter layup then the Elim. i have now.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Yooper here on the boards had an old Eliminator, he nick named it a delamiator, boat was coming apart faster than he could fix it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some pics of the Bahner just picked it up today. I will post some of my Eliminator when uncovered next. The haul is in better over all condition the my Elm. Question will the bahner take the 850 HP with the little skinny stringers? Trying to hit the 100MPH mark is it possible with this boat and 850.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Here are some pics of the Bahner just picked it up today. I will post some of my Eliminator when uncovered next. The haul is in better over all condition the my Elm. Question will the bahner take the 850 HP with the little skinny stringers? Trying to hit the 100MPH mark is it possible with this boat and 850.
Those should be clear Mohogany stringers, (same as my boat) and will hold up to a bunch of HP, they are way stronger than fir.

Just be sure the mountings are backed up properly and the engine is mounted securely.

If the setup is right and the boat is as light as it looks, you should be able to get close to the century mark wit 850 HP, but may not exceed it IMHO.

A lifeline jacket, kill switch and properly set up cockpit are minimum safety considerations before even attempting.

GT :)hand

1 - 20 of 32 Posts