Performance Boats Forum banner

Which Deckboat Handles the Rough Stuff

20K views 89 replies 48 participants last post by  cheliose 
#1 ·
Which deck boat best handles the rough stuff? I have heard different opinions, but hope to get some input. Also, which one doesn't handle the rough stuff?

Thanks for your input.

Regards, SSC

#4 · (Edited)
The best, and only truthful way to get your answer, is to ride in all of the ones you are interested in and make your own decision. Everyone will tell you that theirs or this one or that one is the best but unless they've been in all of them they really have no basis in fact and are more likely cheer leading...

E Ticket or the new 32' Conquest.
Well, as the same person designed/tooled them I bet the ride experience in like conditions is very similar...

#5 ·
For the general lake chop, my Conquest does great, rock solid.

If it's 40 mph winds, blown out with 4 foot swells, I'll be leaving it on the trailer. I had a bad incident, completely filled the boat up with water higher than the rear bench. Just at a little over idle to keep the nose up, a big swell caught me from behind and nosed the deck into the swell in front of me. I was amazed the boat didn't go under, stayed running and idled to shore. Took over an hour with three 500 gallon/hr bilge pumps running and the family bailing with buckets.

#10 ·
This model does real well if you're not looking for big top speed. Drink holders are also limited so you may want to add a few.

#12 ·
This model does real well if you're not looking for big top speed. Drink holders are also limited so you may want to add a few.

I like it....that could hold the whole OP6, RiverDavesPlace, PerformanceBoats crew in one boat.....whats the power and who is doing the sound system and the jello shots??

:)bulb:D:)devil

#11 ·
I have been very satisfied with my Lavey in 3' wind blown cross chop at Havasu. Handled it well with no water through the front. Occassional spray over the side at slower speed. I was able to run 50-60 and felt comfortable at that speed in the rough water. Laveys are a little deeper with free board and a true 28' centerline 30.5 to the back of the swim step. I do not consider deck boats in general as good all around rough water boats though thats what a big V is for. Depends on where you plan to do most of your boating and what is going to suit your family needs.

#14 ·
Our X-Flight 29 does well in chop, but I wouldn't take it on the open ocean, say a trip from Naples to Corpus. The only reaon so far we've found to not put it in the if the wind will push it into the dock and scratch it - we don't take those chances:)bulb

#15 ·
All of the deck boats that I have been on do quite well in predictable wind rollers. Just point the bow into the wind and roll on the throttle. In small whitecap rollers you don't even feel them in the Howard. This is my favorite condition to drive the boat in. In larger whitecaps combined with crosswakes from other boat traffic you feel it but it is still manageable. Big wind and Big water I go home. You will hear the arguements from the board but the best boat to be in when the water is very rough is on the trailer. A big vee is the best in really ugly water. On normal Havasu windy spring days with wind chop and wave chop you will love a Howard Deck. I have only been in a Carrera, Magic, Conquest Deckboat so that is all I can compare too. Out of those, Howard is by far the best, Conquest next (lower freeboard with more spray) Magic next and Carrerra last. The Carrera is a great hull but a much smaller boat (25'). I have been in alot of other Cats but only the above brands deckboats. The Lavey is well made and it looks like it would offer a smooth ride. What I have found is that most people who have not ridden on a deckboat all have the same response... wow! this boat rides so smooth! Maybe it is just my driving skills???? Go for a ride in several

#19 ·
IMO there are two basic measurements for the tunnel bottoms that will determine the ride in the rough - tunnel depth and length, assuming other factors (like deadrise) are more or less the same. I don't think any of the Talon knockoffs/derivatives are particularly good in the rough, not enough depth in the tunnels. For example, the difference between a 26 DCB and 28 Magic is 4" in the tunnels, night and day on the water when the nasty stuff kicks up. The DCB will run away from the Magic, seen it many times... (darn you Roln20s!). :)

#20 ·
My boat has been in some pretty big nasty water and I haven't taken it over the bow yet. I have had it completely out of the water a few times though. Going against the wind is a lot of fun. I float over top of the big stuff. Going with the big wind roller can be another story. Once timing is off and you go down one swell and launch of the other side like a half pipe you gotta back off. :p

In washing machine chop it handles great too.

And if you didn't know it's an E-ticket. :)devil

#26 ·
I would think the Advantage 34 would take rough water quite well. Twin engine, high freeboard, 8000lbs, 34 feet...

#27 ·
The vote here has to go to any one of the Advantage XFlight models (27, 29 and 34). It's a true vee-bottom with a nice sharp forward bow entry. Very dry riding and ample freeboard for the rough stuff. The Mod-VP style (center pod) deckboats are great in chop, very stable but if the water conditions get too big, the ride becomes pretty uncomfortable.

#32 ·
Which deck boat best handles the rough stuff? I have heard different opinions, but hope to get some input. Also, which one doesn't handle the rough stuff?
Thanks for your input.
Regards, SSC
Comment:

Let me begin by saying deck boats were not designed to handle rough water---by rough water I mean anything over a 4-5 foot swell or rough washing machine type conditions. The bow area is open and will allow water intrusion into the seating area of virtually all deck boats.

However, if the scope of your question is to determine which deckboat will handle moderate conditions well then I would answer as follows:

The best of the bunch would be the twin engine boats hands down as their size and design makes a huge difference----E-Ticket, DCB 30, Conquest 32 and Advantage 34.

This is an interesting question and I liken it to asking which MTI model is best for wakeboarding I bet you could do it but not really what the boat was designed to do:D.

KAP

P.S. I have a Howard 28 Sportdeck single engine but I would not call it a rough water boat. Believe me I have pounded it in some rough stuff---closed the front doors and hit it but it would not be my first choice for rough water :).

#37 ·
What drives me crazy at night (after sex) is that the E-Ticket takes twice the power of a Trident, Howard, etc. to reach the same speeds as the later. So, more money on the initial purchase and more money on maintenance and gas over the long run.

Why is this? (Honest question!) I know that the boat is super heavy. Is there a way to lighten it up so that it can compete?

#36 ·
Did anyone say "none" yet???:D

Seriously, I saw no deck boats on Havasu during the 08 poker run on Sunday! Deckboat...Rough stuff....Really polar opposites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.