Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which turbo set-ups are good for running under the hatch in a cruiser? Which brand(s)? How do these systems work under a hatch, any problems?

·
Some guy
3,616 Posts
Which turbo set-ups are good for running under the hatch in a cruiser? Which brand(s)? How do these systems work under a hatch, any problems?
The space you have under the hatch may make some difference, but obviously you need all the components to be water cooled, and I would guess that the Richard Lee and tall Gentry coolers may not fit. Gentry did make some shorter intercoolers, and the Race Aero, Banks and PFM kits should all fit. I know someone running a Race Aero kit on a 600 inch turbo engine under the hatch in a 24' Schiada, using larger turbos than the "original" Rajay units that came on most of the early systems, that were designed originally to work with 454 cubic inches.

Depending on what level of power you want to achieve, keep in mind that all of the early Banks, PFM and Race Aero kits were simple, using only bypass holes drilled in the turbo exhaust housings to limit boost.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine hatch is not a big deal, I can build another one and have it upholstered. Of course it can't be too big. The water cooled parts is what I was curious about. The motor I have is EFI so a single 4barrel intake set-up is good. I really don't want to make that much more power so the self-regulated ones seem better for my use. Are there specific manufacturers of cooled turbos and exhaust tubes?

·
Some guy
3,616 Posts
The engine hatch is not a big deal, I can build another one and have it upholstered. Of course it can't be too big. The water cooled parts is what I was curious about. The motor I have is EFI so a single 4barrel intake set-up is good. I really don't want to make that much more power so the self-regulated ones seem better for my use. Are there specific manufacturers of cooled turbos and exhaust tubes?
Don't know where you are located, but IMCO in San Dimas, CA make some really nice custom water jacketed stainless steel exhausts. Gale Banks did make some water cooled exhaust housings, or you may be able to find some water cooled heat shields for the turbos. There was a pretty nice Gale Banks kit for sale on here that may be up for sale again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts